Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chris King grip nut?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chris King grip nut?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 04:41 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
Chris King grip nut?

Does this look correct? the bike tech who installed it said it is correct. every one I have seen before the lockring nut is contacting the adjusting ring. he said the gap is fine, which it may be I just have not seen a gap between the two parts before. It feels tight and it is smooth.

Old 05-11-22, 04:46 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Looks right. From the CK website. GripNut™ – Chris King Precision Components
Old 05-11-22, 10:26 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Good luck with that POS. I used one briefly. Not even the LBS veteran could figure the stupid things out. Near impossible to get the too small tab to stay in the notch.
I then found a nice old Shimano one that came with 15 caged 1/4" balls. I buggered one, so it now has 18 loose balls. I liked it so much I got another NOS on fleabay.
=========
Edit .... Never mind I guess it was my installation error.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-12-22 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-12-22, 08:23 AM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
. I used one briefly. Not even the LBS veteran could figure the stupid things out. Near impossible to get the too small tab to stay in the notch.
Not sure what "small tab" you're talking about. Diagram is not showing it. GN_032004-A1page (shopify.com)
Old 05-12-22, 08:31 AM
jadmt

Good luck with that POS. I used one briefly. Not even the LBS veteran could figure the stupid things out. Near impossible to get the too small tab to stay in the notch.
I then found a nice old Shimano one that came with 15 caged 1/4" balls. I buggered one, so it now has 18 loose balls. I liked it so much I got another NOS on fleabay.
you are the first person I have heard say a CK is a POS. Most consider them very good headsets.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-12-22, 08:34 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Not sure what "small tab" you're talking about. Diagram is not showing it. GN_032004-A1page (shopify.com)
there is a key on the collet that goes into a slot but that is not an issue. I was hoping some bike mechanics or techs who have done installs of the KC would weigh in.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-12-22, 09:01 AM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by jadmt
there is a key on the collet that goes into a slot but that is not an issue. I was hoping some bike mechanics or techs who have done installs of the KC would weigh in.
Ah, OK. I just realized I didn't read your post correctly. To me that gap also looks normal. Of several that I have seen they had the same gap and my threadless CK also has the same gap. Great headset by the way, fit and forget. I clean and grease the bearings every 3 years or so which seems to be waaay overkill but for what these cost, I'm not taking any chances.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-12-22, 10:37 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
OK I was likely installing it wrong, I just got it out and played with my broken steerer. I think I figured out what we were doing wrong.
The think I had the top 3 pieces separated, while it should be all together and almost tight already. Maybe I should also have greased the angle compression too.
And the top nut has a lip that may or not be a good idea. The top of steerer needs to be cut down precisely. So changing it to a different headset later may be a problem. I have 4 threads sticking out of mine now and have a thicker nut.
I also just didn't like the feel of the sealed bearing fit anyway. I also had a Cane Creek one at first.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-12-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-12-22, 11:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
=========
Edit .... Never mind I guess it was my installation error.
+1

Originally Posted by jadmt
you are the first person I have heard say a CK is a POS. Most consider them very good headsets.
Apparently you haven't seen my comments on them. The TiCycles custom fix gear of my avatar came with one. Inside of 400 miles I was tightening it to get rid of the rattle. For the next 8000 miles, 200 miles before rattle was the usual, by 400 it was driving me nuts. This was true whether adjusted by myself, some of Portland's best mechanics or the Chris King factory. I now am at 20,000 miles on the bike and just starting on my second $30 Tange. One tweak after install and a few rides, ~1/8th of a turn a year if I ride a lot and at 7-8000 miles I swap the lower cage for loose ball or vice versa and get a couple thousand more miles.

I have owned very few headsets that were worse experiences than that Gripnut. And I am pretty certain my issues have nothing to do with the bike. (Headtube and crown facing and alignment. Nothing changed there when I went to the Tange. It pressed in like it belonged and functioned perfectly outside that one tweak to dial in the adjustment (despite having a random assortment of Tange parts to get a stack that matches the Gripnut). Now the headtube has been shaved down and the Tange drops right in. Pure joy.
Old 05-12-22, 11:31 AM
jadmt

chris king got back within a few hours and said it looks correct and it is the 2Nut that does not have the gap but the grip nut does.