Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gloves off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-21, 02:36 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek1100FeltZ5
I am a casual rider at a casual pace with a tradition road bike. I ride in the drop and my palms will start to get sore after 40 or 50 miles. My local bike shop guy says the answer may be as simple as forgoing gloves, does that make sense? I'll probably try that no matter what, but was curious about what more experienced riders thought. Thanks
Sore palms are due to 2 factors:
1) Bike fit
2) Core strength

Tweak those, and you won't be resting enough weight on your hands to get sore.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-11-21, 03:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Another benefit of gloves is that if you crash, it has happened to all of us at least once, your palms will not turn into hamburger. I do like the cushioning gloves provide especially on gravel or bumpy roads. Bare handed would be a pain unless the bars had two or more layers of tape.

My experience on road bikes is that if you land on outstretched palms, the minor cuts and abrasions are the least of your problems. Gloves do nothing to protect you from the broken bones and/or dislocations that can result. Maybe it's different on gravel, but I've never wiped out on a path or dirt road.
Old 11-11-21, 03:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by bbbean
Sore palms are due to 2 factors:
1) Bike fit
2) Core strength

Tweak those, and you won't be resting enough weight on your hands to get sore.

You can also get sore palms from gripping too hard. I'm prone to do that when I have gloves on because I am not getting the tactile feedback from my hands on the bars. I don't ever get sore palms when I'm not gloved.
Old 11-11-21, 03:33 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I find that my hands get sore if I find myself gripping the bars too hard. I try to continually remind myself not to grip the bars in a death grip all the time. During the summer I ride with some cheap-o fingerless gloves. They have minimal padding but generally do a good job of cushioning my hands while riding. I have a pair of merino wool gloves from Isadore for winter/cooler weather riding. They have no cushioning and if I am out for a 100k ride, my hands can start to get sore around the 60~70k mark.
Old 11-11-21, 03:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I find that my hands get sore if I find myself gripping the bars too hard. I try to continually remind myself not to grip the bars in a death grip all the time. During the summer I ride with some cheap-o fingerless gloves. They have minimal padding but generally do a good job of cushioning my hands while riding. I have a pair of merino wool gloves from Isadore for winter/cooler weather riding. They have no cushioning and if I am out for a 100k ride, my hands can start to get sore around the 60~70k mark.

I think what happens for me is that when I ride without gloves, gripping too hard instantly is uncomfortable, and I can feel the bars firmly in my hands without the death grip. With the gloves on, I neither find the squeeze uncomfortable nor can I tell that my grasp is firm. By the time I realize I've been white knuckling, my palms are already sore.

I realize this isn't a universal, but I think it's what OP's doctor was suggesting was happening. I'm curious if OP has tried the no-glove thing yet.
Old 11-12-21, 03:37 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Gloves give me sore hands too so I really only wear them in the winter.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 11-12-21, 05:22 AM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I only ride with gloves in the cold and what I notice is that I unconsciously squeeze the bars harder with my hands to make up for the lack of feel of direct contact--it feels like my hands are less secure. My hands are definitely more tired after a gloved ride.
you shouldn't squeeze handlebar hard on a bike (road or mtb), unless you have some bumps ahead, you will just get arm-pump pretty fast. you should feel relaxed and under control.
Old 11-12-21, 06:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by razorjack
you shouldn't squeeze handlebar hard on a bike (road or mtb), unless you have some bumps ahead, you will just get arm-pump pretty fast. you should feel relaxed and under control.
D-uh.

Relaxed and under control is how I ride with my gloves off. You're missing my point, gloves interfere with my ability to feel relaxed and under control. That can both be true for me and not true for you, we may be relying on different feedback mechanisms, and I can ride with gloves in cold weather. It's just that it doesn't come as naturally to me as bare-handed and I sometimes forget to relax my hands during a long ride. Since I routinely ride solo centuries, anything I need to focus on to that degree is an annoying distraction over time. YMMV.

I also get fewer, smaller calluses riding without gloves, so I really don't see the point in them for me. YMMV.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-15-21, 01:12 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I may actually try riding without gloves soon. For the moment we have some warmer days that don’t require gloves but no sun intensity to worry about.

Also, I changed bar tape to Brooks microfiber tape a couple weeks ago. It has a leather like texture and bare hands grip very easily on it while my cheapo cycling gloves don’t grip well, so there is more effort needed to keep a grip.

Luckily, the Bontrager gloves I got for temps in the vicinity of 40 deg F (very common here in winter) have a rubbery palm surface that grips very nicely on the Brooks tape.

Otto
Old 11-20-21, 06:47 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Not surprising everyone is different. For me the arthritis only in my left hand is much better with substantial gloves made to dampen vibration, they seriously help and don't bother the right hand in any way at all.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 11-20-21, 07:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Another benefit of gloves is that if you crash, it has happened to all of us at least once, your palms will not turn into hamburger. I do like the cushioning gloves provide especially on gravel or bumpy roads. Bare handed would be a pain unless the bars had two or more layers of tape.
+1
Road rash on the palms of your hands is a LOT more painful than many people imagine. That's something I learnt in my youth.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-20-21, 08:03 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
For most of us, injured hands means time off work.
Most employers will just replace you if your judgment is so poor you risked your livelihood versus taking simple precautions.
Wear leather gloves if you do not need padding. Simple.
Old 11-20-21, 09:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I wear gloves because I have better grip when my hands get sweaty, it helps keep my grips and bar tape from getting gross, and can save some skin in a mishap.

For both MTB and road I prefer unpadded, thin, form fitting gloves… unless it is cold out. I lean towards fingerless for road (until it gets cold) but only full fingered for MTB.
Old 11-20-21, 10:39 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Way back when, my Schwinn Varsity and Continental came with shiny plastic bar tape. Talk about making hands sweaty. Gloves were required.

Old 11-20-21, 11:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
+1
Road rash on the palms of your hands is a LOT more painful than many people imagine. That's something I learnt in my youth.
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Most employers will just replace you if your judgment is so poor you risked your livelihood versus taking simple precautions.
Wear leather gloves if you do not need padding. Simple.
Over the years, I've wiped out a few times with no gloves, and I've never had serious abrasions on my hands, just some minor cuts that really didn't hurt much. The more painful things I've experienced were from impact on the thumbs and fingers, and gloves would not have any effect on those.

If I wore leather gloves, I'd get wicked prickly heat on my hands.
Old 11-20-21, 11:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I'm a little confused at why the tactile feedback from the gloves wouldn't be sufficient, but we're all different. I have had gloves that irritated my palms, but that should be obvious fairly early in a ride.
Old 11-20-21, 01:29 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
That’s some dog-eat-dog world you’re living in, my friend….😟
Old 11-20-21, 02:03 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
A video is worth more than a thousand words:

(WARNING GROSS) Why I ALWAYS Wear Gloves on the Bike - The Crash I Didn't Tell You About Last Year
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-20-21, 02:11 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Special Bar Tape does not protect your hands when you fall, gloves do. So you need gloves just like you need a helmet. Too Bad...

So now change gloves, thier style and make and padding. Find a pair that fit ya well and allow you to ride like you like. It is easy for me to recommend this but it is not easy to find a really good set of gloves for some people...

I know for some riders gloves may not be important. As I get older my skin is thinner, bones more brittle, proprioception tedious, vision and hearing worse. I dread the time when I have to use even more protection in order to ride. But if I have to I will...

Good Grief... No...

Do they make a 2XL? ...Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 11-20-21 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-20-21, 02:59 PM
PeteHski

Over the years, I've wiped out a few times with no gloves, and I've never had serious abrasions on my hands, just some minor cuts that really didn't hurt much. The more painful things I've experienced were from impact on the thumbs and fingers, and gloves would not have any effect on those.

If I wore leather gloves, I'd get wicked prickly heat on my hands.
The potential is still there though as shown in the video a few posts above. I never hurt my hands as badly as the guy in that video, but I have had some nasty road rash on my palms when falling off bikes and skateboards in my youth. Then I quickly started wearing gloves and never experienced it since.

For road riding I wear fingerless gloves mainly to protect my palms, but I actually prefer gloves to sweaty hands holding the bars. For mtb I wear full gloves and lightweight knee and elbow pads too if I'm riding anywhere rocky.
Old 11-20-21, 05:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by zandoval
Special Bar Tape does not protect your hands when you fall, gloves do. So you need gloves just like you need a helmet. Too Bad...

So now change gloves, thier style and make and padding. Find a pair that fit ya well and allow you to ride like you like. It is easy for me to recommend this but it is not easy to find a really good set of gloves for some people...

I know for some riders gloves may not be important. As I get older my skin is thinner, bones more brittle, proprioception tedious, vision and hearing worse. I dread the time when I have to use even more protection in order to ride. But if I have to I will...

Good Grief... No...

Do they make a 2XL? ...Ha

The glove/helmet comparison is just wrong for me. The reason for helmets is to prevent debilitating brain damage, so for most of us, that risk is severe enough to put up with the inconvenience of wearing a helmet. For gloves, people like me would be balancing the certitude of skin irritation vs. a small risk of hand abrasions for any given ride. Gloves aren't at all likely to make the difference between a permanent disability and a minor or no injury, while a helmet might.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-20-21, 05:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The potential is still there though as shown in the video a few posts above. I never hurt my hands as badly as the guy in that video, but I have had some nasty road rash on my palms when falling off bikes and skateboards in my youth. Then I quickly started wearing gloves and never experienced it since.

For road riding I wear fingerless gloves mainly to protect my palms, but I actually prefer gloves to sweaty hands holding the bars. For mtb I wear full gloves and lightweight knee and elbow pads too if I'm riding anywhere rocky.
TBH, I don't land on my palms as I've trained myself never to let go of the bars in a crash. The outstretched arms are incredibly dangerous, and some abrasion is just about the least of it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-20-21, 05:40 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

The glove/helmet comparison is just wrong for me...
You are right. Heaven forbid I should get into any Helmet type debates. I wear one now days but did not always. I am against mandatory helmets but would never ride without one by choice. I have though always worn gloves when on my bicycle. I learned to do that long ago by falling off of my Western Flyer and suffering an infected road burn to my palm. Many have worn gloves long before wearing a helmet.

Old 11-20-21, 05:45 PM
zandoval 

...I've trained myself never to let go of the bars in a crash.
Great advice. I learned this from my motorcycle days. I think its the only reason I was spared fractures to my arms, hands, and shoulders in a bad spill I took many years ago. My head, chest, and back did not fair so well... Ha
Old 11-20-21, 07:34 PM
PeteHski

TBH, I don't land on my palms as I've trained myself never to let go of the bars in a crash. The outstretched arms are incredibly dangerous, and some abrasion is just about the least of it.
That's generally a good idea, but crashes are unpredictable things by their very nature. Coming from an aggressive mtb background I've had my fair share of crashes over the years and somehow come out largely unscathed. No broken bones amazingly, but I have suffered a few cases of road rash and I distinctly remember how painful it is if your hands do get involved. It's just one of those things. As you haven't experienced it you obviously don't worry about it and hopefully you never will.

This reminds me of another incident a couple of years ago. I try to encourage my daughters to wear gloves when we go mountain biking and our youngest often refused. Then she came off her bike after hitting a rut in the trail and ended up with.... yep you've guessed it, grazed up palms. It wasn't all that bad, but it did hurt and she did cry. Then she started wearing the gloves. That's kind of how it works with this sort of thing. It's like the helmet debate. I rode for years without bike or ski helmets and then one day I finally whacked my head hard enough to get concussion and then bought a helmet.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.