Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wrench question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wrench question

Old 01-31-23, 12:27 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Wrench question

I want to remove this freehub. My 10mm hex was too small so I ordered a 12, assuming (falsely) that this would have to be it. The 12 is too large.

Does anyone know if this requires a special tool? It is off an older, mid-level, Giant Cypress. It has a Shimano Altrus RD if that matters. Thanks!
Old 01-31-23, 12:47 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
it's a 12 point inside there, no? will a 7/16 allen work?
Old 01-31-23, 01:11 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
This sounds like an off brand hub, so it won't accept a Shimano freehub body. So there are very few reaosons to remove it and that might be why it takes a non-standard tool.
Old 01-31-23, 01:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...x-wrench-hr-11
Old 01-31-23, 03:16 PM
louky

Ok, I just ordered the 11mm. I've read the advice to chuck the wrench in my vice and turn the wheel. I just want to verify that this is a normal (RH) thread.

Also, some people say the some hubs have to be turned out from the ND side. If this is the case, would it still be a RH thread? Thanks!
Old 01-31-23, 03:35 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
Ok, I just ordered the 11mm. I've read the advice to chuck the wrench in my vice and turn the wheel. I just want to verify that this is a normal (RH) thread.

Also, some people say the some hubs have to be turned out from the ND side. If this is the case, would it still be a RH thread? Thanks!
be aware that SOME freehubs are SWEDGED onto the hub.... they can not be removed. Why do you feel the need to remove the freehub?

and most "non-branded" hubs are made by a company called Formula... They love to swedge freehubs in place because it's cheaper than cutting a twelve point hex into the freehub's I.D.

clean the grease out and take a good look.

Last edited by maddog34; 01-31-23 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-31-23, 04:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
Ok,....I just want to verify that this is a normal (RH) thread.

Yes, it is a RH thread, but that's only half the story and can be misleading. That's because the nut acts from the back to draw the freehub against the shell. So, removintg the freehub means moving the nut deeper into the shell, or turning it to the RIGHT. That might be why some people think you have to work from the opposite side, where you'd be turning to the left as expected.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-01-23, 03:04 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That might be why some people think you have to work from the opposite side, where you'd be turning to the left as expected.
This reversal can also trip one up when using a hex wrench in the end of a pedal, or in a bar-end shifter.
Old 02-01-23, 03:27 PM
louky

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, it is a RH thread, but that's only half the story and can be misleading. That's because the nut acts from the back to draw the freehub against the shell. So, removintg the freehub means moving the nut deeper into the shell, or turning it to the RIGHT. That might be why some people think you have to work from the opposite side, where you'd be turning to the left as expected.
Very succinct explanation! I can actually visualize this the way you explained it; you probably saved me from some real drama/frustration. Thanks.