Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fitting a 1-1/8 stem on 1-1/4 steerer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 03:18 PM
alxsmlv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,

I have a Giant TCR that comes with an oversized steerer tube (OverDrive 2) which is 1-1/4 inch. I really like Zipp's Sprint SL carbon stem that is 1-1/8 inch, so it is smaller. Are there any options to fit such stem on the oversized steerer? Maybe expanding the stem clamp in some way so it fits on the steerer? Or use brute force?

I know it might seem a silly question (probably was asked ten times already) but I am curious what are the options (if there are any), in before changing the fork with the correct steerer or simply buying the right stem.

Thanks

Last edited by alxsmlv; 01-07-23 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 03:51 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
No. There is absolutely no safe or cost effective way of doing this.
Old 01-07-23, 06:03 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Agree. You really have to get the right size stem. 1-1/4" steerers (and headsets for that matter) are pretty rare so you are going to have to do some searching.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-07-23, 06:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Agree. You really have to get the right size stem. 1-1/4" steerers (and headsets for that matter) are pretty rare so you are going to have to do some searching.
Or have someone make one for you. (I have bikes to common standards but arms that aren't and have custom stems on most of my bikes.)

TiCycles has made most of mine. For them it is pretty straightforward although not cheap. They outsource the clamp for 31.8 bars and they'll make any shim you need to go smaller. Steerer dimension, length, angle - whatever you want. But they aren't cheap.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-07-23, 06:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If the stem means that much to you then you should sell the TCR and buy a bike you can use that stem with. Or maybe just set it up on the mantle so you can gaze at it in the evenings and dream about how much better that TCR will have been if Giant had only designed it for and put those stems on it.. <grin>

Welcome to BF!
Old 01-07-23, 06:57 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Or have someone make one for you. (I have bikes to common standards but arms that aren't and have custom stems on most of my bikes.)

TiCycles has made most of mine. For them it is pretty straightforward although not cheap. They outsource the clamp for 31.8 bars and they'll make any shim you need to go smaller. Steerer dimension, length, angle - whatever you want. But they aren't cheap.
The OP can get 1.25" Giant stems, but likes the aesthetics of the Zipp stems. Are you suggesting TiCycles is going to make him a 1.25" Zipp stem? He wants a Zipp stem.
Old 01-07-23, 07:05 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Years ago, when I attempted to install a new stem on a Cannondale M700, i discovered it had a 1.25" stem.
After much searching, I finally found what I needed from a tandem shop.
It is branded "Santana", but looking at Santana's site, they list "Control Tech" stems now:

https://santanatandem.com/components/
Old 01-08-23, 03:39 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
The OP can get 1.25" Giant stems, but likes the aesthetics of the Zipp stems. Are you suggesting TiCycles is going to make him a 1.25" Zipp stem? He wants a Zipp stem.
Well, alxsmlv can buy a Zipp Service Course SL OS stem for 1-1/4 inch steerer: Service Course SL Stem | ST-SC-SL-B2 | Zipp (sram.com)

I am generally all for CF upgrades, but I don't see the point of a CF stem, which does not save any weight compared to light weight Al models.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-08-23, 09:05 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by alxsmlv
I am curious what are the options (if there are any), in before changing the fork with the correct steerer or simply buying the right stem.
IMO it's a no-brainer to just get the right stem. Changing the fork brings up all kinds of potential issues such as finding another fork that has the same rake/trail, length, same disc caliper mounting, color, new headset bearings,etc.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-09-23 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-08-23, 08:45 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
IMO it's a no-brainer to just get the right stem. Changing the fork brings up all kinks of potential issues such as finding another fork that has the same rake/trail, length, same disc caliper mounting, color, new headset bearings,etc.
And getting a top bearing with a 1-1/8" ID and an OD and bevel that matches the head tube on the giant. And would cost $300-400 for the privilege of such a fishing expedition.
Old 01-09-23, 07:05 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Don't listen to the nay sayers, use percussive brute force and make sure to post pictures and videos of the process, sanding your rims and drilling your tires will help it fit better...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-09-23, 02:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
It may not be cost effective, depending on access to the required tooling, but it's not impossible.

A 1-1/4" steerer has a 1-1/8" ID. So, an expandable tube can be fitted and extended above the existing tube. You'd also need a structural washer to be a base for the stem and allow it to press a stack of spacers and load the headset. A long expander draw bolt would complete the job, doing double duty as expander bolt and headset loading bolt.

If I were doing this (not that I would) I'd also consider cutting the steerer down to reduce the overall stack height. So, while it's not ideal (or even close) is is doable if, for some reason or another, one is committed to using a 1-1/8" stem on this bike.

Now that the OP knows it can be done, and how, It's his decision whether he wants to or not.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-09-23, 06:51 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It may not be cost effective, depending on access to the required tooling, but it's not impossible.

A 1-1/4" steerer has a 1-1/8" ID. So, an expandable tube can be fitted and extended above the existing tube. You'd also need a structural washer to be a base for the stem and allow it to press a stack of spacers and load the headset. A long expander draw bolt would complete the job, doing double duty as expander bolt and headset loading bolt.

If I were doing this (not that I would) I'd also consider cutting the steerer down to reduce the overall stack height. So, while it's not ideal (or even close) is is doable if, for some reason or another, one is committed to using a 1-1/8" stem on this bike.

Now that the OP knows it can be done, and how, It's his decision whether he wants to or not.
Where does one buy an expandable 1 1/8" extension tube?

Why would it be safe to put an expander in a carbon tube? The steerer would almost certainly split.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-09-23, 07:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Where does one buy an expandable 1 1/8" extension tube?

Why would it be safe to put an expander in a carbon tube? The steerer would almost certainly split.
FWIW, I offered this as a mental exercise, and thought I adequately I qualified it as such.

In any case, the reference to "adequate tooling" implies making rather than buying. Also, it's not at all difficult to use an expander to generate enough traction for the purpose without damaging a CF steerer.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-09-23, 09:07 PM
Kontact 

FWIW, I offered this as a mental exercise, and thought I adequately I qualified it as such.

In any case, the reference to "adequate tooling" implies making rather than buying. Also, it's not at all difficult to use an expander to generate enough traction for the purpose without damaging a CF steerer.
Stems have a hard time generating enough traction to keep aheadsets from working loose, and they have a considerable advantage in clamping than a tube that expands on the very end.

I guarantee you that an expander inserted and tightened enough to prevent the bearings working loose would cause the steerer to fail at the base of the expander, causing a horrendous accident. Carbon has very little crush strength, but we get away with clamping stems because that is compression and there's a plug. An unreinforced steerer being pushed out would yield almost immediately.

That's some extremely dangerous advice. It doesn't take much more than a few items from the hardware store make what you describe, so it wasn't a silly hypothetical that no one would do. Hopefully no one ever reads your post without reading the follow on, because your idea could get someone killed.

Please delete it.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-09-23, 10:27 PM
FBinNY 

Please delete it.
Every of your objections is surmountable. Also my closing sentence was an argument against it.

So, sorry, but I'll let it stand as is.

Old 01-27-23, 11:08 AM
alxsmlv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the thought, interesting. What about doing something to the stem? It's a carbon stem but I just thought maybe there is a way to expand its clamping area somehow? Could it be possible to use sandpaper or something similar to sand down the carbon? Do you think this would be a more practical or realistic way of fitting the stem?
Old 01-27-23, 11:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Instead of making a metal steerer extension/reducer why not make a carbon one and glue it in place using a strong epoxy.
Old 01-27-23, 02:42 PM
FBinNY 

Thanks for the thought, interesting. What about doing something to the stem? It's a carbon stem but I just thought maybe there is a way to expand its clamping area somehow? Could it be possible to use sandpaper or something similar to sand down the carbon? Do you think this would be a more practical or realistic way of fitting the stem?
This is an example proving my no.1 rule.

There are no rules; it's always about the situation.

So, the answer depends on how much material and it's strength. Is there enough to remove 1/16th inch per side, and is there enough left to do the job?

It's fairly easy to make this call with metal, but with CF, you'd need to know where the CF is vs. resin.

Whether and how you opt to procede, keep in mind that there are other considerations, so it becomes a complicated judgement call. odds are you'll encounter unforseen issues to overcome. It's a case of whether there's sufficient reason to bother, and your own skill set.

As always, being able to do something, doesn't imply that you should.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-27-23 at 03:31 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-27-23, 05:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
as noted before, no practical options

Anything else is a theoretical kludge at best, more likely non workable in reality

failure in the area of the fork/stem is likely painful

Just use the right size stem

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-27-23, 06:22 PM
oldbobcat

And how many layers of structural carbon fiber do you think would be removed in reaming 1/16" of material from inside the clamp?
Old 01-27-23, 06:22 PM
oldbobcat

Instead of making a metal steerer extension/reducer why not make a carbon one and glue it in place using a strong epoxy.
Or JB Weld, right?
Old 01-27-23, 11:19 PM
Kontact 

Because the clamping force from the stem coupled with the bearing vertical load would destroy the bond.

Absolutely not. Reducing a lightweight stem's wall thickness by 1/16" means it will break. They don't include extra material for no reason.

Why aren't you taking the excellent advice to buy a 1 1/4" Zipp stem instead of inquiring about complicated forms of suicide? The people egging you on have zero experience with anything being discussed.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-27-23, 11:31 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Or JB Weld, right?
JB Weld is epoxy. Just with less shear strength because of the filler.
Old 01-28-23, 11:45 AM
Kontact 

It's fairly easy to make this call with metal, but with CF, you'd need to know where the CF is vs. resin.
What does this mean? Carbon fiber composites put the resin everywhere there are carbon fibers, and nowhere else. Your statement is like talking about a cake having sugar in some places and flour in others.

Should you be advising people about modifying a technology you don't understand the basics of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.