Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on a Pinarello Prince?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-28-23, 12:02 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

I'm considering buying a Pinarello Prince.
I ride for exercise, health, and fun. I do not race (or do much climbing).
I am currently a happy/satisfied owner of a Trek Domane SL5 (Shimano 105 endurance bike). My goal is to use the Domane as a gravel and trainer bike and the Pinarello primarily for my road rides.
Because I don't race, most of what I'm looking for in a bike are more in the "hobby" category/motivation (vs. motivated by performance or extreme practicality).
That being said, I'm looking for an Ultegra level groupset with Di2 electronic shifting, and an integrated headset. Price point in the $5-6k range. Planning on upgrade wheelset in the future.
Looking for an all round/endurance bike that's a bit more aggressive than the Domane's endurance geometry (but not too racy/uncomfortable). I don't see my self having the time to ride more than 2 hrs on a regular basis.
That being said, what do you guys think of the Pinarello Prince? Do any of you own one? What are the pro's and cons? What else should I consider? (have looked at Cervello, Canyon, etc. The Domane is a perfect bike for me, but I don't really want another one lol).
Penny for your thoughts

Old 01-28-23, 01:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I'm sure you've considered just getting a 2nd set of road wheels for the Domane and upgrading the groupset to Di2?
Old 01-28-23, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Prince looks nice. A tad more aggressive fit than your Domane, but not much. Can you try it before you buy it?

Pinarellos's are few around here, but there are some around. If it's the same there, then you'll be a little higher on the status level than us lesser people on more common brands in the USA like Trek, Specialized, Giant or Cannondale.

I might consider the seat post looks profiled, so you'll have to stick with whatever Pinarello makes for that if you ever need to change. And that integrated stem might be the same issue too. But if you never have to or want to change them, then they should be good till you crave a new bike again.
Old 01-29-23, 02:49 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10061 Post(s)
Liked 5,045 Times in 2,154 Posts
I don’t know about the current one, but a few years back when I was looking for my first bike the prince didnt have the best reviews, and it seemed like the price was high for what it came with. I remember it specifically saying heavy and slow to respond.

You being a captain now, don’t settle for the prince, if you are going pinarello, get the dogma.

As the first responder said, go take it for a test ride. I know you are riding for fitness and not performance, so over all comfort should be your main concern. You may not like the geometry. And if you have to to put a **** ton of spacers under the stem to make it work for you, nothing wrong with that, but the bike won’t look as elegant as the picture you posted.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-29-23, 09:10 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
If all you are looking for is a bit more aggressive geometry, why not just move the spacers over the stem or flip the stem over? Then get a Di2 set and new wheels for your Domaine.
Old 01-29-23, 09:14 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9528 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
If all you are looking for is a bit more aggressive geometry, why not just move the spacers over the stem or flip the stem over? Then get a Di2 set and new wheels for your Domaine.
Why not?

Because he wants a new bike and can afford it. Good a reason as any to buy a bike. So, why not?

I love the blue Prince. The model has received some good reviews, and the color is really good looking. Was tempted at one time myself.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-29-23, 09:28 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
No give in the seat, very stiff. Good for shorter races. I decided against it. YMMV
Old 01-29-23, 09:42 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Why not?

Because he wants a new bike and can afford it. Good a reason as any to buy a bike. So, why not?

I love the blue Prince. The model has received some good reviews, and the color is really good looking. Was tempted at one time myself.
Well if it's all about the new bike bug or n+1, by all means go for it. It just sounds like he could get what he wants by making changes to his Domaine which isn't exactly antiquated.

The info I provided will help him keep his options open.
Old 01-29-23, 09:57 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm sure you've considered just getting a 2nd set of road wheels for the Domane and upgrading the groupset to Di2?
I definitely considered upgrading the Domane (in fact, I shopped Di2 upgrades and wheels). In the end, I decided against extensive/expensive upgrades on the 105 bike. I'd feel better about spending money on an Ultegra level set vs. a 105 set. I also don't want to go gravel riding on (relatively for me) expensive equipment. It does get banged up. That, and it would be nice to have a bike to stay on the trainer as well. Most of all, it would be nice to have a second bike in case something breaks/goes wrong on one.
Old 01-29-23, 09:57 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by bampilot06

You being a captain now, don’t settle for the prince, if you are going pinarello, get the dogma.
Nice try
Old 01-29-23, 10:01 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I have a rim brake Marvel (and a Dogma 60.1) and the Marvel is my primary ride. It replaced a Domane and there is no comparison between the two. The Marvel is an absolute joy to ride, especially on longer rides. It has several thousands of miles on it and still rides as smoothly as the day I bought it. Both of the tris I’m doing this summer are very hilly and I’ll actually be taking my 11-32 Marvel instead of my 12-25 Dogma.

It may not be a Dogma but it is still very much a Pinarello. Im actually thinking about upgrading the Marvel from Ultegra 6800 to Di2 or Campy EPS because I like the bike so much and know I won’t be able to find another fully carbon bike with a high quality groupset at a reasonable price right now.
Old 01-29-23, 10:01 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
No give in the seat, very stiff. Good for shorter races. I decided against it. YMMV
Yeah... I wonder how that will feel. I've only ever ridden the Domane and it has the "Iso couplers" (or whatever they are called) to make for a comfortable ride. I guess I'll find out. For rides over 2 hours, I was planning on still using the Domane.
Old 01-29-23, 10:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I definitely considered upgrading the Domane (in fact, I shopped Di2 upgrades and wheels). In the end, I decided against extensive/expensive upgrades on the 105 bike. I'd feel better about spending money on an Ultegra level set vs. a 105 set. I also don't want to go gravel riding on (relatively for me) expensive equipment. It does get banged up. That, and it would be nice to have a bike to stay on the trainer as well. Most of all, it would be nice to have a second bike in case something breaks/goes wrong on one.
I replaced the 105 in my SL5 with U Di2. Gave me what I want, and that kept me from buying the Prince. But, I’m not a captain and like my roads paved.
Old 01-29-23, 10:26 AM
Metallifan33

I replaced the 105 in my SL5 with U Di2. Gave me what I want, and that kept me from buying the Prince. But, I’m not a captain and like my roads paved.
Oh nice... Did you do the work yourself? When I priced it out, I just couldn't justify it... but I may in the future (although I may go 105 for the old bike).
Gravel riding is a nice option to go riding with friends and family that are too scared to ride around cars
Old 01-29-23, 10:30 AM
bampilot06

When I upgrade, I’m thinking Wilier Filante custom paint job, or a moots, maybe an allied echo, or a parlee. Maybe all 4. Possibilities are endless.

Note, I am not upgraded until my wife tells me I have to.
Old 01-29-23, 10:37 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by bampilot06
When I upgrade, I’m thinking Wilier Filante custom paint job, or a moots, maybe an allied echo, or a parlee. Maybe all 4. Possibilities are endless.

Note, I am not upgraded until my wife tells me I have to.

My wife thinks I should buy a new car, but my argument with her is I put way more miles on the bike (like I'm sure you do). My 2008 Audi A4 still only has 85,000 miles on it! Why waste money on a car?
No joke, my sim partner was acting knida funny when his wife called when we were in training. Turns out he never told her he was upgrading! She eventually found out; oh well, he tried to hide the $$.
Old 01-29-23, 10:58 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

You mean you only have one bike? Shhhhh, don't let anybody here know that or you may get banned, LOL! 🤣
Old 01-29-23, 11:00 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

My 2008 Audi A4 still only has 85,000 miles on it! Why waste money on a car?
I seriously agree a new bike is a much better investment than a new car. A new bike will make you want to ride more and stay in shape. A new car will make you want to drive more and get fat!
Old 01-29-23, 11:12 AM
bampilot06

My wife thinks I should buy a new car, but my argument with her is I put way more miles on the bike (like I'm sure you do). My 2008 Audi A4 still only has 85,000 miles on it! Why waste money on a car?
No joke, my sim partner was acting knida funny when his wife called when we were in training. Turns out he never told her he was upgrading! She eventually found out; oh well, he tried to hide the $$.

You live in base, I do not. Once I get DCA based, it’s about a 2 to 6 hour drive. I plan on getting a miata or something, it will be cheaper than the bike. Priorities.
Old 01-29-23, 12:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Oh nice... Did you do the work yourself? When I priced it out, I just couldn't justify it... but I may in the future (although I may go 105 for the old bike).
Gravel riding is a nice option to go riding with friends and family that are too scared to ride around cars
I did, other than changing the hoses. Had trouble getting the front out, and didn’t want to disassemble the IsoSpeed so let the shop do it. Otherwise, easy.
Old 01-29-23, 12:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Bike versus car depends on the bike and car. Nothing better than a fun car. Likewise nothing better than a new bike.

Never knew anyone who had to decide between the two though.
Old 01-29-23, 12:20 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bike versus car depends on the bike and car. Nothing better than a fun car. Likewise nothing better than a new bike.

Never knew anyone who had to decide between the two though.
Not all of us are made of money.
Old 01-29-23, 01:59 PM
Mojo31
-------

Not all of us are made of money.
True, but if you can and would spring for a $6k bike, its not likely you would have to choose between a bike and car because funds are tight.
Old 01-29-23, 04:18 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

True, but if you can and would spring for a $6k bike, its not likely you would have to choose between a bike and car because funds are tight.
Probably not. But then again, the average new motor vehicle now costs near $40K. A $6K bike is only 15% of that.

Granted I have never spent more than $2,200 on a bike, nor more than $23,000 on a car.
Old 01-29-23, 08:20 PM
bampilot06

I’ve been thinking. Dude, get an Allied Echo. Two bikes in one. Pull the wheels off flip the drop outs and it goes from roadie to gravel. You can customize the paint. It’s light, it’s dreamy, it’s made in Merica and most importantly, I’ll be extremely jealous.
Likes For bampilot06:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.