Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Red Loctite 271 Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Red Loctite 271 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 03:25 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 758 Posts
Red Loctite 271 Question

Not really C&V, but I suspect folks here will have had experience with it... I need to secure a stainless steel water bottle boss in an aluminum cable stop.

Can I use Loctite Red 271 for this or is it strictly for threaded contacts?
Old 01-31-23, 04:11 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
I am 99.3978% certain it is only for threads.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 01-31-23, 04:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
It will likely wick into the interface with a little help by prying open the slot if necessary, and will make for a strong bond.

A slight interference-fit is best, and can perhaps be effected by squeezing the hole slightly in a vise, at which point you wouldn't need any LocTite.

I've used the red LocTite many times for things like bonding a loose-fitting lower headset race onto a fork steerer, or bonding a round nut into the socket on the ear of the seat lug, or securing a pedal into a stripped-out mtb crankarm!.
I even used this stuff for retaining the main bearings into the worn-out cradles in the engine cases of a 10,000 rpm motorcycle dragster, and the LocTite didn't go anywhere between rebuilds (despite the severe loading and certain amount of flex).

Old 01-31-23, 04:45 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Red will work perfect if you have it. If you need to run to the store, buy "green" Loctite aka Sleeve Retainer. Its the same thing but less viscous with capillary action.
Old 01-31-23, 05:14 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Loctite Black Max is marketed as an alternative to silver soldering for gun sights. If I was doing this I would try and "knurl" the insert to improve the resistance to spinning when you turn the threaded adjustor. For something like this I would scratch up the outer surface of the inset withthe tip of a razor blade.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod6139.aspx
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-31-23, 09:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I might think about soldering in

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...compounds.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-31-23, 10:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Al or SS won't want to wet out to solders that work on the other material. Andy
Old 02-01-23, 12:04 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
If you want to bond, epoxy is the way to go. JB Weld is what you want.

Alternatively, get yourself a threaded insert with the proper internal threading for the adjuster you plan to use.

Tap threads into the hanger. Install the threaded insert using LocTite.

Screw in the adjuster.
Old 02-01-23, 02:19 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
It will likely wick into the interface with a little help by prying open the slot if necessary, and will make for a strong bond.

A slight interference-fit is best, and can perhaps be effected by squeezing the hole slightly in a vise, at which point you wouldn't need any LocTite.

I've used the red LocTite many times for things like bonding a loose-fitting lower headset race onto a fork steerer,
Not being picky, but did you mean a crown race on the steerer tube? I ask because that’s a problem I’m trying to fix and you might have the the solution I need. Thanks
Old 02-01-23, 02:57 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 758 Posts
Thanks for the responses. In the end, since this is just the initial setup of this bike (trying to get to the point where I can test ride it, at least on rollers), I'm using parts on-hand as much as possible. In the end, I decided to affix the water bottle boss to the hanger with super glue (I will return the unopend red Loctite to the hardware store – that stuff's expensive!). What tension it will see will come from the brakes which will tend to pull it down, so I doubt anything will be going anywhere. Note the "headset spacer" below. I'll eventually replace this setup with something nicer. Or not. (The PVC will get replaced, at least.) We'll see how it goes.

My apologies for the crappy photography. My basement has horrible light, but it's too dang cold for an outdoor photo session.
Old 02-02-23, 02:10 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd

I've used the red LocTite many times for things like bonding a loose-fitting lower headset race onto a fork steerer, or bonding a round nut into the socket on the ear of the seat lug, or securing a pedal into a stripped-out mtb crankarm!.
I even used this stuff for retaining the main bearings into the worn-out cradles in the engine cases of a 10,000 rpm motorcycle dragster, and the LocTite didn't go anywhere between rebuilds (despite the severe loading and certain amount of flex).

2 strokes for life!