Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Experience Using Helmet Light as Defensive Tool?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 04:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I am just not buying this specific scenario. The supposed attacker is not going to be surprised by a bike light that's been on for your entire approach, and you're not going to remember to turn it on just for him.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-16-19, 04:26 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I am just not buying this specific scenario. The supposed attacker is not going to be surprised by a bike light that's been on for your entire approach, and you're not going to remember to turn it on just for him.
I didn't say surprised.

I said stopped for 2 seconds to react.

If he sees you coming from a mile away he's still not going to be able to see how big you are like he might in normal ambient light from the road. And there is a big difference between the light from 100 feet away and 3 feet away. As he gets closer and the flashing is annoying it only needs to make him pause for 1-2 seconds to give you time to get away

I am assuming you are already riding and moving. Not stopped.

Hell the flashing light may be enough for him to say "Screw this. I'll wait for the next guy" from 100 feet away. Maybe the light means too much attention. Maybe the light makes him think for 3 seconds about if he wants to attack you, by which point you are already past him.

To be fair....in this thought exercise...maybe the light lets him notice you when he wouldn't have before. So there can be a down side.

To your point though...there are very specific circumstances where it could help. And those are limited. The angle of approach matters, the distance from the attacker, your speed, etc.
Old 11-17-19, 07:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Here in Boston, most of my street commute is thorough nice parts of town, and the most likely "assaults" I anticipate are by:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Aggressive Walkers/Runners"

Here in Boston, early morning darkness in the winter and early spring is training time for the Boston Marathon in mid-April, and I have been surprised by runners coming my way. So I've got to keep that in my mind, keep the headlight beams a little higher, and look farther ahead.
The only MUP I ride in dark hours is the well-traveled Jamaica Plain MUP because it’s well-lit and closely parallels the busy auto commuting road, The Jamaicaway.

Even so, I avoid a segment that veers for a few hundred yards into a stand of trees, and is invisible to the road traffic.

I have previously posted about some riders on that path.
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I would think that if one ever finds themselves in a circumstance where the intensity of a headlight is something to be counted upon as a defensive measure, the situation is all but lost.

The best defense is a proactive approach involving awareness, recognition, and avoidance. By the time any threat is within the effective range of a bright helmet light, they're already within striking distance.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Regarding overkill, the few instances I have encountered have been on MUPS with oncoming cyclists with blazing, blinding headlights.

I often think that they believe a cone of light is a force-field that will protect them, even from oncoming cars, so the more the better.
Old 11-17-19, 07:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
That just says it is against the forum rules. I know I agreed to the rules. I'm not arguing about it.

I'm simply curious as to why the forum made it against the rules.
Because gun discussions never fail to become disruptive once they start. And then that discussion takes over the whole thread and the original topic is lost. So we'd rather not have all that venom and animosity playing out unnecessarily on our bicycle forum. If you're looking for gun discussion, anger and hate you have to go elsewhere on the internet, it's not our cup of tea.

Thanks for asking.
Old 11-17-19, 01:27 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I have never encountered a threat yet, but I have thought about it, too...and I also may be "delusional". I like to think a blast of my air horn would startle the perpetrator long enough for me to get a head start. It has worked on dogs.

Speaking of dogs, If I were stopped or forced to stop, I think the advice to put your bike between the dog and yourself may also pertain to a human assailant.

I also like to think that pointing to my helmet cam and announceing that "You are on camera!" might be a deterrent. I'd even fib and say "you are on a live video feed to the internet".

I also usually have an ear-piece in while riding and could call 911 with the touch of a button and a verbal command. Then I would announce, "I am on the phone with 911".

This would all be predicated on an un-armed encounter with one or two individuals.

I don't know what I would do if faced with a group, a knife or knives, or a gun or guns.

No bike, wallet or phone is worth your life.

There is always pepper spray and/or mace and other personal protection products. (edited, bobbyg).
The air horn does as much as you could hope a flasher light would do....buy you a couple seconds to escape. I'd lean towards thinking an air horn would work better. (Those things are LOUD)

For a dog...assuming you aren't in a city where you might have to stop, just riding as fast as you can for 100 yards should get you away from the dog even if the dog can keep up your speed they can't do it forever.

As for an attacker with a knife or gun...if it's a knife I'm just going to ride away. If it's a gun...you're right. The bike isn't worth it. Throw the bike one direction and run the other way. No one is going to chase you when what they wanted it sitting on the ground ready to be taken. It might hurt your pride, but there is nothing wrong with a tactical retreat so you can live to fight another day.

I keep at least $30 with my at all times (not just when riding) for just this reason. It is a $20 bill folded on the OUTSIDE of 10 $1 bills. So it looks like a stack of 11 $20 bills worth a couple hundred bucks.

First off, I always have $30 cash on me for an emergency. Lost my wallet but need to buy lunch? No problem. Need something I have to buy with cash? Mission accomplished.

But the reason I do it is so that if a mugger comes at me I can pull out what looks like $200 and throw it one direction while I run the other. NO mugger, who's entire mission to get money from me, is going to chase after me while what he thinks is a stack of $20 bills sitting on the ground 10 feet in the other direction. He's going to grab the money and by the time he does I'm long gone.

$30 insurance policy.
Old 11-18-19, 06:25 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Oh ...We don't allow abortion either.

If you want to discuss guns, I have a lot of links to gun forum sites, just message me, I am a member of many.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-18-19 at 08:09 AM.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 11-18-19, 10:51 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Experiment; Change; Thanks

I appreciate the input. Bottom line, a bright helmet light isn't much of a tool.

The main change to my behavior is that I’m now carrying my wallet and cellphone on my person instead of in my pannier. It is a bit less convenient but if I walk/run away I have my most important resources; everything else is relatively easy to replace.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I ride with a helmet light and in the past rode through some of the lower income, high pedestrian areas of Atlanta. The light effectively stops the (potential) interview phase of criminal interactions. Someone approaching with (potentially) ill intent will usually stop and start talking/gesticulating where they are once I shine the light in their face.
I like the phrase "interview" and it aligns with a lot of the other comments. In fact, the entire discussion reminds me of what I learned from a book "Alaska Bear Tales”. Basically..

1. Do not get near the bear in the first place.

2. If 1 fails, make yourself look as big as possible.

3. If 2 fails (now at close range) punch the bear in the schnoz as hard as possible.

4. If 3 fails play dead (often this is very easy to do)…

… In all seriousness really bright LED lights make a good defensive weapon. Get one that has a strobe feature that you can quickly turn onto strobe. If you are rushing towards someone it is very disorienting to have a bright strobe light in your face….
So in the spirit of experimentation I got my daughter to wear my helmet light so I could see the other side of the story. Test was done with no ambient light.

Results:

a) When the bike was between me and the helmet light I could still clearly see the various marker and corner lights I have on the bike, which I need for my (much more probable event) motor vehicle defenses. Helmet light didn’t really distract me and I could avoid the bike and still reach her.

b) When it was just her in the dark, I could see nothing but the light. However, I could charge toward the light..

c) We tried flashing (Cygolite Metro 650) mode and it is very disconcerting. This is the only thing I thought had a chance of helping me fail the interview phase of an encounter. (The flashing mode is complete on/off on about 1/2 second cycle.)

…. If it's a gun...you're right. The bike isn't worth it. Throw the bike one direction and run the other way. No one is going to chase you when what they wanted it sitting on the ground ready to be taken. It might hurt your pride, but there is nothing wrong with a tactical retreat so you can live to fight another day…
So maybe a light is a bit of a distraction, but not significant. This thought is what has led me to keep my wallet and cellphone on my person instead of in my pannier.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Last edited by flangehead; 11-19-19 at 07:29 AM. Reason: hmtl and clarify flashing/strobe
Old 11-19-19, 03:20 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've never had to worry about assault or robbery, but having a bright helmet light and not acting like a victim has been my approach to dealing with others at night. By being aware of my surroundings I'm scanning for hazards of any sort and have spotted some wildlife that was moving away and some that I wanted to avoid. It also helps with the cars that see me but don't react etc...
Old 11-19-19, 03:21 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Because gun discussions never fail to become disruptive once they start. And then that discussion takes over the whole thread and the original topic is lost. So we'd rather not have all that venom and animosity playing out unnecessarily on our bicycle forum. If you're looking for gun discussion, anger and hate you have to go elsewhere on the internet, it's not our cup of tea.

Thanks for asking.
Thank you, that's just how I feel.
Old 11-20-19, 09:02 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
A couple of weekends ago, riding in the bike lane in broad daylight, 2 late teens early twenty somethings, step off the sidewalk in front of me. Deliberately. They were far enough ahead I could see it coming. No cars behind me. At 50 ft I moved from the bike lane to the traffic lane. The one closest to the street moved into my way as well. I held my line to the last second and went around him on my left. Almost to the center line. He yelled something. I didn't stop. I think they were just punks trying to be bullies.

At night you can't be sure. Do they see you? Are they lining up for an attack? You just have to pay attention and stay out of reach. Use your blinkers, see how they respond. A very few times I've turned around and ridden back to another street to avoid stuff at night. That might sound crazy. But I "go with my gut" in those situations.

Not sure there's a point there. Other than stay alert. You can usually avoid people on foot.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 11-20-19, 11:03 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've ridden through lots of "shady" neighborhoods at all hours and never had a problem. Most likely because I usually look a broke person, but I do have a CCDW permit. I've luckily never had to utilize it.
Likes For liampboyle:
Old 12-16-19, 10:37 AM
KP_Doodie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, if you're not going to carry that which shall not be named, I've always found a u-lock adequate for self-defense, (as long as your attacker doesn't have that which shall not be named.) Better than a super-duper bright light, I guess.
Old 12-16-19, 11:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'd feel pretty dumb getting shot in a lock fight
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-18-19, 01:52 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
A 6 D Maglite could work as a "defensive tool" I guess.
Old 12-18-19, 02:18 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Never bring a you-know to a you-know fight.