Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You Don't Need Those Light Weight Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You Don't Need Those Light Weight Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 02:34 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I have no good proof that the accelerations I'll make in that race will be made up for by choosing the marginally lighter 38mm wheels.
You mentioned Hambini earlier. The very popular rim comparison chart here https://www.hambini.com/testing-to-f...icycle-wheels/ has apparently taken spin-up power into account, which is interesting, and generally--deeper is better as you said--though it appears that some rims are designed well enough to outperform others with a deeper cross section.
Old 07-14-20, 02:45 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Its for my 6000 Lumen Lupine Alpha Head Lamp..

Man, they will definitely see you coming. That’s a lot of lumins.
Old 07-14-20, 03:06 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
7200 Lumens Lupine Alpha LED Bike Light

Originally Posted by colnago62
Man, they will definitely see you coming. That’s a lot of lumins.
Typo on my part as the light is 7200 lumens and not 6000.. I have way to many Lupine lights and get them mixed up..
Old 07-14-20, 03:08 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by scuzzo
oh i remember you, your that guy who just buys lots of bike stuff and post on the bike fourm waiting for attaboys...
ATTABOY!!!
Not just lots but lots and lots would be more correct..! Only thing I am waiting on is new gadgets to come out that tickle my fancy ..
Old 07-14-20, 03:25 PM
upthywazzoo 

Not just lots but lots and lots would be more correct..! Only thing I am waiting on is new gadgets to come out that tickle my fancy ..
Just curious. Does Trek (or other manufacturers) do anything special for repeat buyers, such as yourself?
Old 07-14-20, 03:34 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I buy PLASTIC WHEELS" that appeal to me since I am the one paying for them is how I look at it.. quite simple logic honestly..

I was just curious if you were aware that they aren’t very aero. They are great wheels, and at one time some top pros were using them, they just aren’t very aero in real world situations(other than track racing).

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-14-20 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 03:50 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
glad not all cyclist are such garish attention *****s... attaboy! lol... i did not know that was a naughty word... streetwalker of the old west?
Old 07-14-20, 04:08 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I was just curious if you were aware that they aren’t very aero. They are great wheels, and at one time some top pros were using them, they just aren’t very aero in real world situations(other than track racing).
Any data on this?
Old 07-14-20, 06:14 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Any data on this?
do your own research.

Most Lightweight MEILENSTEIN wheelsets are a very old design(sharp V-shaped wheels). They are more aero than Mavic Open Pro rims, but far behind modern aero wheels.

You might have a hard time finding data, but that's because the are soooooo outdated.

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-14-20 at 06:18 PM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-14-20, 06:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
do your own research.

Most Lightweight MEILENSTEIN wheelsets are a very old design(sharp V-shaped wheels). They are more aero than Mavic Open Pro rims, but far behind modern aero wheels.

You might have a hard time finding data, but that's because the are soooooo outdated.
Those fabled 32-spoke Open Pros that everyone likes to benchmark their wheels against that already weren't common when I got into the sport... a decade ago.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 06:29 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Those fabled 32-spoke Open Pros that everyone likes to benchmark their wheels against that already weren't common when I got into the sport... a decade ago.
Mavic OPs were great hoops 15 years ago(I have a pair on my classic), but they were never aero. Lightweight MEILENSTEIN wheels are slightly more aero, but those old V-shaped wheels suck in anything but no-wind conditions.
Old 07-14-20, 06:47 PM
upthywazzoo 

do your own research.
I haven't seen any papers or data to substantiate that the 858 NSW is inferior to other wheels, as you posited. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't seen any data.

Oh wait a minute, your post was under the pictures of the 858s. Were you actually talking about the meilensteins?

Last edited by upthywazzoo; 07-14-20 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 07:22 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
This thread gives new meaning to the term, "pissing match".
Likes For SHBR:
Old 07-15-20, 12:12 AM
colnago62

You really don’t see a lot of people using Zipp wheels at the international level. The most used wheelset is a Mavic spoked front with a disc in the rear.
Old 07-15-20, 01:46 AM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by colnago62
You really don’t see a lot of people using Zipp wheels at the international level. The most used wheelset is a Mavic spoked front with a disc in the rear.
Is it because of performance, or because dealing with Mavic is easier in terms of sponsorship? I was looking at this article and it seemed like there wasn't much overlap between teams in terms of where they're getting wheels from. https://road.cc/content/feature/2643...tour-de-france.
Old 07-15-20, 05:02 AM
trekmogul 

do your own research.

ALL LIGHTWEIGHT MEILENSTEINS are very very expensive and could careless how "AERO" they are as I own 3 different sets. Those whom also give there wise words of wisdom about something would never have owned them anyways "Not BUDGET FRIENDLY" like a much cheaper mavic wheel...
Old 07-15-20, 05:04 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by SHBR
This thread gives new meaning to the term, "pissing match".
There is always a few wheel gurus around but could careless about their expertise wisdom on them as I will buy what I want anyways..
Old 07-15-20, 06:56 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You mentioned Hambini earlier. The very popular rim comparison chart here https://www.hambini.com/testing-to-f...icycle-wheels/ has apparently taken spin-up power into account, which is interesting, and generally--deeper is better as you said--though it appears that some rims are designed well enough to outperform others with a deeper cross section.
I read his stuff, and I read most of the long back and forth topic on another forum about it. I had an opinion at the time, but I'll keep it to myself to keep this on-topic. I've even changed that opinion a bit after letting some time pass and reading some more.

I do understand there could be sales bias from data released by people selling wheels, but there are both CRR and aero data for wheels out there that is not from a vendor and also not from Hambini. Also, there's about 5 forum posters on other forums that I trust when they post new data (or private message people results in a private group). There's also better groups than BF and Slowtwitch for this data and for talking to people a lot smarter than I am about it.

Most of the data I value most has a time trial bias to it. That's my hobby. I don't race road much. I'll do the hammer rides, but only a few road things a year. Given that, spin-up power doesn't really matter that much to me personally. Time trial or triathlon wheel testing instead typically focuses a lot on the wheel to tire interface and the vibration of the tire as it goes over road surfaces. There's a term for it, I forget what it is. But, their charts are usually the "total power" to go some speed as a combo of CRR and drag of the wheel/tire combo. Different companies claim to design wheels around one or two tire sizes or brands. Some of the fast stuff was designed around a GP4000s2 or the Conti attack/force combo years back in triathlon stuff. Now, a lot is designed around the GP5000 or the Vittoria CS. Claimed to be, I don't know for sure. When I asked to a person at the company about a few tires I was given a pretty definitive "use that one, and in that size, we designed it for that". They don't sell the tires, so they don't have a bias in which they tell me is best.

I live driving distance to the A2 tunnel. So we have some folks around we can talk to that have been. I may save my pennies and just for fun make a birthday weekend of doubling up the A2 tunnel and doing a beginner track course at Rock Hill next year. I'd love that! But, that's a dream given the cost.

What info do I use or what do I do to buy things?
I've taken the personal approach of choosing what to buy and what to use starting with my budget. I can look at super shiny fancy things all day, but if it's out of budget it is no good to me. With budget blinders on I can eliminate a significant portion of options. Next, I make sure I'm in the generic ballpark of what I want. General use road/road race, time trial, cyclocross. An obvious thing to do. Then, I buy a lot of used equipment then re-sale it after trying it. Lots of people do that and do it at a lot more rapid rate of buy/test/sell than I do. But, I've gone through some stuff at the house the past year or two. Enough stuff to attract the wife's attention to the number of boxes coming and going. While I have it, I'll pair it with the tires and/or tubes or glue or whatever I'm going to use. Then do the virtual elevation testing on it against something I own and have kept I can use as a "control". Usually those 38mm wheels I mentioned. I wish I could swap stuff out more, but it eats time to do so.

I bought a $30 anemometer to make the data cleaner for the aero stuff. I also now have a "legit" power meter on the TT bike instead of a left-only meter. A left-only isn't great for doing that stuff. I've played with the anemometer once so far, it is fussier than expected, but has promise. Now that I have my newer wheel for TT at home........time to test again.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-15-20, 06:57 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
ALL LIGHTWEIGHT MEILENSTEINS are very very expensive and could careless how "AERO" they are as I own 3 different sets. Those whom also give there wise words of wisdom about something would never have owned them anyways "Not BUDGET FRIENDLY" like a much cheaper mavic wheel...
If no one listens to you brag about your outdated wheels, does it still matter if you have three sets?
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-15-20, 07:34 AM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I wonder what they would say if rotation weight made much a difference between big heavy thick mountain bike tires vs 23mm lightweight racing tires.
Old 07-15-20, 07:40 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
[Did a quick scan of the thread and didn't see this mentioned]

CyclingTip's Nerd Alert podcast did a great episode on how much weight matters within the context of system weight (frame/wheels/rider), especially as compared to aerodynamics. The general consensus was that weight doesn't matter as much we'd like to think, but that we care about it because we can easily quantify it (as opposed to aerodynamics).

More info here: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/03/nerd...gravity-sucks/
Likes For Greiselman:
Old 07-15-20, 11:49 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Public service reminder:

The video that this thread refers to does not say that weight doesn't matter,

it says that whether the weight is at the rim or not doesn't matter.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-15-20, 11:49 AM
colnago62

Is it because of performance, or because dealing with Mavic is easier in terms of sponsorship? I was looking at this article and it seemed like there wasn't much overlap between teams in terms of where they're getting wheels from. https://road.cc/content/feature/2643...tour-de-france.
National Teams do make equipment deals with companies.
Old 07-15-20, 11:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
It says that whether the weight is at the rim or not doesn't matter.
... Which is what most people are debating. Well, the on-topic folks.
Old 07-15-20, 11:59 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
If no one listens to you brag about your outdated wheels, does it still matter if you have three sets?
I don’t know if they have redesigned them or not, the article below says Ineos used that brand of wheel in the tour last year.

https://road.cc/content/feature/2643...tour-de-france

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.