Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

School me on single speed versus multispeed chains

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-28-20, 08:38 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I am making a fixie out of some parts I picked up. It's an older Takara frame that I got for free and some fixie wheels I got off Craigslist. It has a serviceable 16 tooth a single speed freewheel. I put a multi-speed chain on it, I'm not sure what kind, seven speed or eight speed, and the chain was skipping on the rear cog. The chain was not stretched. When inquiring at the local bike shop they were explaining to me that a single speed chain is needed for this setup and they also demonstrated with a single vs multispeed chain. So I dug out a single speed chain from my box o' chains, and sure enough, it worked just fine. So why is this? I didn't really follow what they were saying at the shop.
Old 10-28-20, 08:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I believe that "SS chain" means 1/8", while a chain for a derailleur-equipped bike is 3/32".
Old 10-28-20, 08:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-compatibility
Old 10-28-20, 08:56 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you have a freewheel you don't have a 'fixie', you have a single speed. All chains are the same pitch, 1/8" chains are 1/32" wider than 3/32" chains. There are cogs and chainrings to match so if you try to put a regular chain for a geared bike (3/32") on a 1/8" cog/ring it won't work. You can go the opposite way obviously.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-28-20, 09:00 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you have a freewheel you don't have a 'fixie', you have a single speed. All chains are the same pitch, 1/8" chains are 1/32" wider than 3/32" chains. There are cogs and chainrings to match so if you try to put a regular chain for a geared bike (3/32") on a 1/8" cog/ring it won't work. You can go the opposite way obviously.
I was only using the term "fixie" in the generic sense. But thank you for that info.
Old 10-28-20, 10:07 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
So I am making a fixie out of some parts I picked up. It's an older Takara frame that I got for free and some fixie wheels I got off Craigslist. It has a serviceable 16 tooth a single speed freewheel. I put a multi-speed chain on it, I'm not sure what kind, seven speed or eight speed, and the chain was skipping on the rear cog. The chain was not stretched. When inquiring at the local bike shop they were explaining to me that a single speed chain is needed for this setup and they also demonstrated with a single vs multispeed chain. So I dug out a single speed chain from my box o' chains, and sure enough, it worked just fine. So why is this? I didn't really follow what they were saying at the shop.
As the others said, sounds like you have a 1/8" freewheel - I didn't even know such things existed until I took a look around. The other difference between 1/8" chains and "standard" 3/32" chains for multispeed drivetrains is that the 3/32" chains have sufficient lateral flexibility built in to allow them to deflect across a cassette. A 1/8" chain won't do this and is only usable with a straight chainline. Of course, if you have a 3/32" sprocket/freewheel and chainring, a "multispeed" 3/32" chain is perfectly adequate for a S/S or FG application - it's just not using its inherent flexibility, but will be more forgiving of a less-than-perfect chainline (although it's always recommended to spend the time to get the chainline right- derailing the chain on an FG will almost certainly ruin your day!). A 1/8" drivetrain will also be more robust and last longer.
Old 10-28-20, 10:25 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Litespud
As the others said, sounds like you have a 1/8" freewheel - I didn't even know such things existed until I took a look around. The other difference between 1/8" chains and "standard" 3/32" chains for multispeed drivetrains is that the 3/32" chains have sufficient lateral flexibility built in to allow them to deflect across a cassette. A 1/8" chain won't do this and is only usable with a straight chainline. Of course, if you have a 3/32" sprocket/freewheel and chainring, a "multispeed" 3/32" chain is perfectly adequate for a S/S or FG application - it's just not using its inherent flexibility, but will be more forgiving of a less-than-perfect chainline (although it's always recommended to spend the time to get the chainline right- derailing the chain on an FG will almost certainly ruin your day!). A 1/8" drivetrain will also be more robust and last longer.
Unlikely. I don't think a 3/32" chain will even work, even a little bit, on a 1/8" cog. I mean, you could try, but I think the problems would be beyond a little skipping.

But I could be wrong, as I've never tried.

OP: as others have suggested, you best match the cog, chainring, and chain: all 1/8" or all 3/32". Alternatively, you can go with a 1/8" chain even if your cog and/or chainring is 3/32", but that's not optimal.

If you have the right combo of those three items, and you're still getting slipping, then one or more parts is too worn, or you've set it up incorrectly.
Old 10-28-20, 03:02 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I ride a road bike with a fixed gear wheel, and I’m of the opinion that since the trackbikes-ridden-on-the-road fad was on life support in 2012 and fully deceased and in the ground in 2015, “fixies” are just affordable flat/riser handlebar single speed urban roadbikes, usually with funky colors.

FHSSURB/RHSSURB? RHSSURBWFC?

Just SSURB?

Anyways, I’ve never seen 3/32” SS freewheels (doesn’t mean they don’t exist), you’re probably stuck with 1/8” chains to fit the freewheel. You really don’t need to change to a 1/8” chainring on the cranks to match.

Enjoy your fixie (or whatever mouthful of words to describe your bike you choose) in good health.

Last edited by hsuBM; 10-28-20 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-28-20, 03:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
A fixed-gear bike is often referred to as a fixie. A single speed bike should not be referred to as a fixie unless it has a fixed gear. I have converted three multispeed bikes to singlespeed with freewheel and never referred to them as fixies. Should a singlespeed bike with a flip flop hub be called a fixie if it is always ridden that way? Maybe.
Old 10-28-20, 06:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Unlikely. I don't think a 3/32" chain will even work, even a little bit, on a 1/8" cog. I mean, you could try, but I think the problems would be beyond a little skipping.

But I could be wrong, as I've never tried.

OP: as others have suggested, you best match the cog, chainring, and chain: all 1/8" or all 3/32". Alternatively, you can go with a 1/8" chain even if your cog and/or chainring is 3/32", but that's not optimal.

If you have the right combo of those three items, and you're still getting slipping, then one or more parts is too worn, or you've set it up incorrectly.
indeed. Reread where I said “Of course, if you have a 3/32" sprocket/freewheel and chainring, a "multispeed" 3/32" chain is perfectly adequate for a S/S or FG application” No one said you could use a 3/32” chain with a 1/8” sprocket or chainring.
Old 10-28-20, 07:00 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've used a 1/8 chain on bikes with 1/8 cog and 3/32 ring. This setup has worked for years on both bikes with no apparent issues.
Old 10-28-20, 07:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I've used a 1/8 chain on bikes with 1/8 cog and 3/32 ring. This setup has worked for years on both bikes with no apparent issues.
I have that setup on my Schwinn and it works fine. I’m running a cheap 1/8” freewheel and 3/32” road chainring, so I have to have the 1/8” chain.

Interestingly, the high end freewheels from White Industries are all made for 3/32” chains and the 16T and all of the double freewheels work only with 3/32” chains. All their other singles can work with both 3/32” and 1/8”.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-28-20, 07:22 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Litespud
indeed. Reread where I said “Of course, if you have a 3/32" sprocket/freewheel and chainring, a "multispeed" 3/32" chain is perfectly adequate for a S/S or FG application” No one said you could use a 3/32” chain with a 1/8” sprocket or chainring.
Oops, you're right, I missed that. Correct, and you have my apology.
Old 10-28-20, 07:26 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by ofajen
I have that setup on my Schwinn and it works fine. I’m running a cheap 1/8” freewheel and 3/32” road chainring, so I have to have the 1/8” chain.

Interestingly, the high end freewheels from White Industries are all made for 3/32” chains and the 16T and all of the double freewheels work only with 3/32” chains. All their other singles can work with both 3/32” and 1/8”.

Otto
Yes, to my dismay. Apparently, on those freewheels, a 1/8" chain will rub on the freewheel body (if that's what it's called?) bc it is too thick.

Fortunately, I can buy three Shimano freewheels (which work fine with 1/8" chains) for the price of one WI...But still, I really want that $90 freewheel on my $500 SS bike.
Old 10-28-20, 08:13 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Fortunately, I can buy three Shimano freewheels (which work fine with 1/8" chains) for the price of one WI...But still, I really want that $90 freewheel on my $500 SS bike.
Yeah, I bought a $10 freewheel from the local shop with no expectations and it has been through 1500 miles already without complaint. The cost of the WI freewheel just seems out of proportion for my Schwinn.

Otto
Old 10-28-20, 08:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen

Otto
The cogs on a double have to be further apart to use an 1/8" chain. I've never owned or measured a White Industries or Surly 3/32" double but I am sure they are narrower than my 1/8" double. (I stopped using 3/32" for fix gears 20 years ago and am not going back.)

Fun aside - that bike is set up with a flip-flop fix-fix hub. Built with a touch of dish so the three cogs sit at different chainlines. An 1/8" triple up front. Runs 3 very different gear ratios on their respective chainlines. (Or I can run two close cogs, flipping one around, off the middle chainring and have a standard flip-flop with two close gears.) The whole point of this is to have a true mountain fix gear. With gears of (say) 46-13 (= 96"), 42-17 (= 67") and 36-24 (= 41"). I set this up on my Peter Mooney to ride the week long Cycle Oregon up Crater Lake's north entrance AND ride the promised 30 miles of mountain gravel on fat tires that won't fit on my other fix gears, Sadly, first the gravel got canceled, then the whole ride (fires) but I got "stuck" with a bike that is a blast! Love having a fix gear where 1) the Oregon uphills aren't 67 yo body breakers and 2) the descents are fun!

If someone wants to get crazy and do this, I can tell them how I had my double cog made. (It wasn't cheap.) For the triple, get an old crankset, Sugino or the like. Chainrings will be too narrow for 1/8" chain but this isn't really an issue barring OCD. The chain will scrape the adjacent larger chainring until it has created deep enough gouges. Once gouged, everything runs just fine. (It's all turning the same speed. The protruding rivet pins on the chain always hit the neighboring chainring exactly the same way,. The gouges are not deep, don't affect strength at all, are on the inside of the rings where they are quite hard to see and simply mean that you can never pass those rings of as NOS!)

Chainline will be an issue. You need to bring the crankset as far inboard as possible; to the inner chainring almost scraping the chainstay. Easy way to do this is go Phil Wood. First, set this up with a stock Sugino BB. Measure clearances on both sides. Calculate a new spindle length that brings the crankset in the full distance and the left crank where you want it. Order from PW that length and asymmetry. (You get wiggle room with PW BBs so fine tune the asymmetry after putting the right crank on.)

I know no one's going to do this, but I tell you, once done it is a blast! (Some fellow forumites can vouch for me riding that bike over the Oregon Coast range with its 18% up, 18% down on logging roads and doing just fine. In fact, with the the big fixed gear I had the best downhill gravel setup!)
Old 10-28-20, 08:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Yes, to my dismay. Apparently, on those freewheels, a 1/8" chain will rub on the freewheel body (if that's what it's called?) bc it is too thick.

I suspect you will be old and grey long before your rubbing chain does any damage to either the WI freewheel or itself beyond cosmetic. The chain pins will simple create a scratch adjacent to that tooth and shorten themselves a little. Eventual they'll clear. It's al pretty hard steel so it will be a slow process. (Now scratching a WI freewheel - that might not be forgiveable. Funny that the "who cares" Shimano does just fine.)
Old 10-28-20, 08:45 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by 79pmooney;21765626[b
]I suspect you will be old and grey l[/b]ong before your rubbing chain does any damage to either the WI freewheel or itself beyond cosmetic. The chain pins will simple create a scratch adjacent to that tooth and shorten themselves a little. Eventual they'll clear. It's al pretty hard steel so it will be a slow process. (Now scratching a WI freewheel - that might not be forgiveable. Funny that the "who cares" Shimano does just fine.)
Too late. I’m already old and grey.
Old 10-28-20, 11:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I was only using the term "fixie" in the generic sense. But thank you for that info.
As in the bike needs to be fixie'd? You shouldn't have brokie'd it. If you were trying to be generic I would have just said bike. If I was talking about a single speed bike I would say single speed bike as that is pretty generic.

In terms of White Industries freewheels both of mine are 1/8 though I got them several years ago. I went 17t so that might also play a factor in 1/8 compatibility. Honestly I would rather just have larger gears over all probably leads to a longer lasting set up and potentially smoother running?! I would happily run 3/32 chains to keep running WI freewheels, they are the absolute finest freewheel out there.
Old 10-29-20, 06:50 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by veganbikes
As in the bike needs to be fixie'd? You shouldn't have brokie'd it. If you were trying to be generic I would have just said bike. If I was talking about a single speed bike I would say single speed bike as that is pretty generic.
Most single speed / fixie bikes have a flip flop rear hub for both a single speed freewheel and fixed gear. It's awkward to refer to it as a single speed/fixed gear bike when you can just say fixie. Hence, I used the term "fixie" in the generic sense.

Learn to be nice to others on the forum. Relax. Read this link. Then spend some time in self-reflection.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ign-times.html

Thank you to the others for their information. I think this thread has run it's course.

Last edited by Jicafold; 10-29-20 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 10-29-20, 11:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Most single speed / fixie bikes have a flip flop rear hub for both a single speed freewheel and fixed gear. It's awkward to refer to it as a single speed/fixed gear bike when you can just say fixie. Hence, I used the term "fixie" in the generic sense.

Learn to be nice to others on the forum. Relax. Read this link. Then spend some time in self-reflection.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ign-times.html

Thank you to the others for their information. I think this thread has run it's course.
You think I am not relaxed? Oy vey you have a lot to learn. I am generally at least 2˚ cooler than a cucumber 98% of the time here on the forum. I come here and relax a lot of the time. As far as self reflection you don't know the half of it.

Just call it a single speed and be done. It isn't awkward it is accurate. If you aren't running it as a fixed gear it is not a fixed gear keep it simple. Or do what I did on my Cinelli Mash which has the official working title of Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross Fun Time Machine (and this one has been ridden in both fixed and single speed though spends much of its life now as a single speeder leaving fixed duties to the Langster Rio which has no fancy name yet)
Old 10-29-20, 12:00 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You think I am not relaxed? Oy vey you have a lot to learn. I am generally at least 2˚ cooler than a cucumber 98% of the time here on the forum. I come here and relax a lot of the time. As far as self reflection you don't know the half of it.

Just call it a single speed and be done. It isn't awkward it is accurate. If you aren't running it as a fixed gear it is not a fixed gear keep it simple. Or do what I did on my Cinelli Mash which has the official working title of Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross Fun Time Machine (and this one has been ridden in both fixed and single speed though spends much of its life now as a single speeder leaving fixed duties to the Langster Rio which has no fancy name yet)
Holy ****, man. Just ride your bike.
Old 11-06-20, 04:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Holy ****, man. Just ride your bike.
I did, a bunch had a great time. Pulled my boss' daughter in a trailer and she had a blast and was out camping. Everything else I said still rings true, though I might be calmer than you, dude, right now after the riding and camping.