Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Fastback LTD?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Schwinn Fastback LTD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 10:21 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Schwinn Fastback LTD?

So I picked up this Schwinn Fastback LTD. I believe it is a 2003 model. Someone converted it to a straight bar ride so I took it apart. Still had all the other original Dura Ace on it though. Anyhow, does anyone have one of these? Looks the aluminum joints are very well done and it doesn't weigh anything. Riding impressions?

Likes For Jicafold:
Old 12-28-20, 10:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
They are lower cost aluminum bikes with good components. It was part of that long time when Schwinn was trying to foil people into thinking they still had quality in the name but they did contract out some good stuff. I know GT made their Homegrown Series but I don't recall if they did the fastbacks as well. I remember reading somewhere that SAPA in Portland might have made bikes for them so it could be a decent frame. There are some old dead posts on these bikes and generally are all pretty positive. If you didn't pay a ton you got a decent deal.
Old 12-29-20, 07:02 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Schwinn's last hurrah. Some of the MTB Homegrowns were made by Yeti, not sure of the road bikes.
Old 12-29-20, 11:09 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by veganbikes
They are lower cost aluminum bikes with good components. It was part of that long time when Schwinn was trying to foil people into thinking they still had quality in the name but they did contract out some good stuff. I know GT made their Homegrown Series but I don't recall if they did the fastbacks as well. I remember reading somewhere that SAPA in Portland might have made bikes for them so it could be a decent frame. There are some old dead posts on these bikes and generally are all pretty positive. If you didn't pay a ton you got a decent deal.
Thank you. I tried searching the posts but they were apparently buried in other Schwinn threads or something. It was a steal. After selling off some of the Dura Ace, I made a profit and still have this frame and a set of nice Kysirium SSC wheels left over. Will likely sell the frame too as it is a large and a tad too big for me. But it sure does look nice. I'll put the wheels on another bike which was really the only parts I wanted.
Old 12-29-20, 11:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Thank you. I tried searching the posts but they were apparently buried in other Schwinn threads or something. It was a steal. After selling off some of the Dura Ace, I made a profit and still have this frame and a set of nice Kysirium SSC wheels left over. Will likely sell the frame too as it is a large and a tad too big for me. But it sure does look nice. I'll put the wheels on another bike which was really the only parts I wanted.
You sold the Dura-Ace? BOOOOOOOOO!!!! That was good stuff, that would have been what I wanted off the build personally. Mavic wheel systems are fine but too proprietary and many have been prone to issues. I did like the single colored spokes though, that always has a special place but having had to fix a bunch of old wheels from them it is a big ole' pain.

Sometimes searching with the Googles will help find stuff, that is how I think people find these ancient threads and bring them back from the dead.
Old 09-30-21, 04:53 AM
JohnStomac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Fastback Ltd L

Originally Posted by Jicafold

Hi there might you still have the frame for Sale if it's a Large Please?
Old 09-30-21, 06:34 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by JohnStomac
Hi there might you still have the frame for Sale if it's a Large Please?
I had sold this frame a long time ago. Thank you.