Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Power Meter advice

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Power Meter advice

Old 04-02-21, 05:56 AM
lloydy85x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Power Meter advice

Hi guys, I am currently after a power meter to help improve my riding and help with pacing etc, Just curious if anyone has fited a crank based power meter like the 4ii or stages to a Giant TCR Advanced, to me it looks pretty tight clearance wise. If not i might have to pull the trigger on some assiomas which does have the advantage of being able to swap between bikes but about twice as much money wise!
Old 04-02-21, 07:56 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Double check to make sure with each of the particular models of power meters you're considering, but most of the left side modules require 10 mm of clearance between the crank and the chainstay. So look up the exact dimensions for the ones you're thinking about, and get out a tape measure or ruler.

[Edited to add] And, as long as I have your attention, training FTP is one of the least demanding things you can do with a power meter. Comparing your power data with friends after the ride over coffee (when we can do that again)? That's a more demanding use than training FTP.

Last edited by RChung; 04-02-21 at 08:31 AM.
Likes For RChung:
Old 04-02-21, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You realize the only thing the results of power meter or HR monitors tell you is that you need to ride more. You can boil the metrics down any way you want for discussion and argument. But in the end it's just the results tell you to go RIDE.
Old 04-02-21, 08:19 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Iride01
You realize the only thing the results of power meter or HR monitors tell you is that you need to ride more. You can boil the metrics down any way you want for discussion and argument. But in the end it's just the results tell you to go RIDE.
You go faster on a bike by making more power, having less drag, or using smarter tactics. The stopwatch and finish line don't care which. Used properly, a high quality power meter can help you with all three. Even a not terribly high quality power meter can help you with one of them. I'm at a point in my life where my power is ebbing away. I've got to do the other crazy stuff or I'd be even slower.
Likes For RChung:
Old 04-02-21, 08:44 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
You realize the only thing the results of power meter or HR monitors tell you is that you need to ride more.
And what exactly does that mean? Ride more for hours at an easy pace that barely raises my heart rate? Do more sprints at max effort less than 10 seconds? How about all the intensities in between?

A power meter together with a bit of knowledge and analysis can tell you not only to ride more, but how.
Old 04-02-21, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by asgelle
And what exactly does that mean? Ride more for hours at an easy pace that barely raises my heart rate? Do more sprints at max effort less than 10 seconds? How about all the intensities in between?

A power meter together with a bit of knowledge and analysis can tell you not only to ride more, but how.
I'd have to rephrase that. Your syntax technically is saying a PM can tell you how to how to ride. <grin> Though with all the subscription training programs coming into being, I guess you might be more correct.

A person with a bit of training knowledge and analysis of power meter data will know how to train during their rides.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against PM's. I intend to get one. It's just that they aren't any more magical for training than just a good training plan. They do give you numbers about something that is really useful for training instead of the sideways look at such that HR monitors along with other data provided.

But a power meter alone isn't going to do anything. You'll still be doing the same training plans that were being done before HR/GPS monitors came into the picture. Sure there'll be a few tweaks because of the more specific thing a PM tell us, but essentially it's the same training plan that those in the know back in the late part of the previous century were beginning to do.

So if the OP is only getting a PM to read numbers without reading about training. It will only be for gee-whiz info.
Old 04-02-21, 09:06 AM
asgelle

Your syntax technically is saying a PM can tell you how to how to ride.
Only if you choose to deliberately misread what I wrote. A power meter plus knowledge plus analysis can guide training. Why ignore the last two?
Likes For asgelle:
Old 04-02-21, 09:11 AM
asgelle

You'll still be doing the same training plans that were being done before HR/GPS monitors came into the picture.
This is not correct. By looking at your power/duration curve along with the demands of important events, it's possible to target training to specific weaknesses in a way that isn't possible without the power data.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 04-02-21, 09:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

This is not correct. By looking at your power/duration curve along with the demands of important events, it's possible to target training to specific weaknesses in a way that isn't possible without the power data.
I only consider that a minor tweak to training plans that we've had for a long time.

PM's give you more specific info about your power output during and after a ride. Power info lets us refine those same training methods we've used before power meters. They give you a tangible thing to look for and discuss with others instead of the advice of a coach that said, go ride, when you get here, do this, and further along do this.

And the main crux of my initial reply to the OP was intended to be interpreted as a PM alone isn't going to make the OP better at anything.
Old 04-02-21, 09:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
My Garmin is telling me to rest today, to be ready for more intense training tomorrow. Burying yourself under cumulative fatigue isn't the way to get faster.
Old 04-02-21, 10:01 AM
Seattle Forrest

And the main crux of my initial reply to the OP was intended to be interpreted as a PM alone isn't going to make the OP better at anything.
Why are you assuming the OP isn't going to use a power meter in an intelligent way?
Old 04-02-21, 10:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Don't forget to add a biomarker of stress and fatigue, e.g., HRV, to close the loop.
Old 04-02-21, 10:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Why are you assuming the OP isn't going to use a power meter in an intelligent way?
Because most people seem not to use them or anything else in a intelligent way. Most just look for a number to compare with others.

Maybe that'll be me when I get one.

Why do you reply to me instead of the OP? I didn't intend for my reply to become the topic.
Old 04-02-21, 10:35 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I only consider that a minor tweak to training plans that we've had for a long time.

PM's give you more specific info about your power output during and after a ride. Power info lets us refine those same training methods we've used before power meters. They give you a tangible thing to look for and discuss with others instead of the advice of a coach that said, go ride, when you get here, do this, and further along do this.

Training has definitely changed because of the information from power measurement. For example, we now know that training the higher zones has an effect on the lower zones and to what level. On the velodrome, the data has seen a move to bigger gears in the sprint events. It is true, without analysis, the numbers mean nothing.
Old 04-02-21, 10:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Because most people seem not to use them or anything else in a intelligent way. Most just look for a number to compare with others.

Maybe that'll be me when I get one.

Why do you reply to me instead of the OP? I didn't intend for my reply to become the topic.
I hope you realize it's an assumption that you're making when you say most people use power meters wrong.

I'm replying to you because you're giving advice that's irrelevant, and saying things that are factually not true. I know you mean well and you're trying to be helpful.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-02-21, 10:43 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
It will also tell you when not to ride. If your HR or power does not come up as usual you need more recovery. It also allows you to track progress or lack of over time.
Old 04-02-21, 10:47 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Like clockwork, there's a post about power meters and the usual suspects descend and s***post and derail what should have been an easy question to answer.

Go start your own thread entitled "You're using your power meter wrong"
Likes For guachi:
Old 04-02-21, 10:58 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
I hope you realize it's an assumption that you're making when you say most people use power meters wrong.

I'm replying to you because you're giving advice that's irrelevant, and saying things that are factually not true. I know you mean well and you're trying to be helpful.
It's written ''hits enter before thinking'' under his name. May-be that's why!
Old 04-02-21, 12:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I got in a war with others that feel I'm against power meters because I implied the OP should consider why they need one.

I frequently will take an opposing view on something just to be sure things get discussed that weren't stated in the OP. But so far, few have even responded to the OP about anything. I hope the OP has at least gleaned something from all this distraction.

Though I think all they are going to glean is that PM users have become much like eBike users. Anytime someone appears to be against them or make the slightest negative comment then they come out in droves. But at least the eBikers give a reason, y'all aren't even doing that.
Old 04-02-21, 12:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by lloydy85x
Hi guys, I am currently after a power meter to help improve my riding and help with pacing etc, Just curious if anyone has fited a crank based power meter like the 4ii or stages to a Giant TCR Advanced, to me it looks pretty tight clearance wise. If not i might have to pull the trigger on some assiomas which does have the advantage of being able to swap between bikes but about twice as much money wise!
I've looked at those PM's too. They are all decent and I don't see why they wouldn't fit. Although I've only looked at the stuff that is factory installed already on a crankset.

If you can find some, go for it. Stocks are non existent on the crank based PM's I've looked at.

Just make sure you have a good training program and time to use it. A PM won't do you much good for pacing on a group ride without additional training unless perhaps the group will know what your numbers are and all agree not to ride any harder than that. That'd be a real thoughtful group to do that. <grin>

So ride some more than you are now.
Old 04-02-21, 06:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by lloydy85x
If not i might have to pull the trigger on some assiomas which does have the advantage of being able to swap between bikes but about twice as much money wise!
Another option is Quarq and Power2Max, which have crankset-based power meters in the $450+ range (though I don't know what the current stock situation looks like).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-02-21, 06:32 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against PM's. I intend to get one. It's just that they aren't any more magical for training than just a good training plan.
Oh, look. Another person without a power meter talking about how to use a power meter. Huh.
Old 04-02-21, 07:11 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Another option is Quarq and Power2Max, which have crankset-based power meters in the $450+ range (though I don't know what the current stock situation looks like).
I have heard a lot if good things about the Quarq from some users.
Old 04-02-21, 07:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

I got in a war with others that feel I'm against power meters because I implied the OP should consider why they need one.

I frequently will take an opposing view on something just to be sure things get discussed that weren't stated in the OP. But so far, few have even responded to the OP about anything. I hope the OP has at least gleaned something from all this distraction.

Though I think all they are going to glean is that PM users have become much like eBike users. Anytime someone appears to be against them or make the slightest negative comment then they come out in droves. But at least the eBikers give a reason, y'all aren't even doing that.
I'm not in a war against any cyclist. 🙂

Based on your last sentence, I'll give it a try. The OP got the best advice anyone without the same bike can give, in the first reply. So I hope he forgives this digression.

Personally I don't care whether you're against power meters or not, I think that's a strange way to look at things. I've never heard a person say "I'm not against screwdrivers but they're not really any different than butter knives." A PM is a tool, it's useful for a handful of things. If it isn't useful to you or anyone else, that's ok. A sextant isn't useful to me. I'm not against sextants, I wouldn't try to talk somebody who thinks they need one out of buying one, or tell them it's not any different than dead reckoning.

​​​​​​I know you're trying to be helpful 🙂 but some of what you're saying is factually incorrect. And you know that sets people off. This is the internet.

A power meter comes with a steep learning curve. Some of it is very technical, you have to learn some new concepts, some jargon, software, maybe even math. Before I had one, I didn't understand either. Nobody is going to waste the time to learn what it means to say your TSB is the relationship between your CTL and ATL and you can't let it be this negative next weekend, until they're working with their own data and seeing everything in context. I used to think it was just a fancy speedometer too.

And that's just training. Lots of people buy power meters, never use them for formal training or even any at all, and get a lot of value out of them. The OP mentioned using it in one of those ways.
Old 04-02-21, 08:35 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

A sextant isn't useful to me. I'm not against sextants, I wouldn't try to talk somebody who thinks they need one out of buying one,
I once told my then-gf I was interested in buying a sextant and she said 1) she didn't know they made tents specific to that purpose and 2) we didn't need one anyway.
Likes For RChung:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.