Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2021! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2021! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 06-16-21, 04:07 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
It was a very pleasant yet uneventful commute this morning. A little on the cool side but I enjoyed it. I have a long ride home today with a stop at my brother's house to walk his dog. I love when I can incorporate my tasks with my riding.
Old 06-17-21, 04:44 AM
essiemyra

Another pleasant commute this am. Though even chillier than yesterday. I needed a jacket this morning and I even put on a light pair of gloves.
Old 06-17-21, 10:45 AM
NilsLW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A real bummer!
Me and another commuter crashed into each other on my 15km regular commute from work. Sadly my left shifter took a lot of impact and need to be replaced. Anyone know where to buy a 1990's Campagnolo left hand 9 speed ergo-shifter? My one-week-old IWC watch also got a big dent. Luckily, and most importantly I'm fine except a bruise or two.
Likes For NilsLW:
Old 06-17-21, 05:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by NilsLW
A real bummer!
Me and another commuter crashed into each other on my 15km regular commute from work. Sadly my left shifter took a lot of impact and need to be replaced. Anyone know where to buy a 1990's Campagnolo left hand 9 speed ergo-shifter? My one-week-old IWC watch also got a big dent. Luckily, and most importantly I'm fine except a bruise or two.
That's a bummer for a first post but you have come to the right place, or near it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-part-5-a.html this thread is in the regular classic & vintage forum and you can post in it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-21-21, 02:34 PM
ususum

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've so far only had one incident where a car started speeding up straight towards me which forced me to move behind a trash can until the dumass almost swirved into a wall because he went over a pothole at a very high speed. In comparison to pre-pandemic, this year has been my safest ride so far.

Last edited by ususum; 06-22-21 at 03:19 PM. Reason: ***********
Old 06-21-21, 06:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

There are a lot of bikes out there this month even though it's hot, and I realized most of them are ebikes. The dedicated commuters are mostly past by the times I was biking and the athletes are not going to ride two hours in 90 deg heat, but the ebikers don't care, they can go fast enough to keep cool. There's got to be some upper threshold - I know from experience >105 on a motorcycle is miserable no matter how fast you go.
Old 06-23-21, 07:18 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There are a lot of bikes out there this month even though it's hot, and I realized most of them are ebikes. The dedicated commuters are mostly past by the times I was biking and the athletes are not going to ride two hours in 90 deg heat, but the ebikers don't care, they can go fast enough to keep cool. There's got to be some upper threshold - I know from experience >105 on a motorcycle is miserable no matter how fast you go.
I've ridden my motorcycle in those temps, and agree it's pretty ugly. Especially since my motorcycle is air cooled. It's like sitting on top of a charcoal grill while getting hit with the wind from a blast furnace at the same time.
Old 06-25-21, 04:12 AM
essiemyra

Yay for Friday! I was able to commute by bike today. It started out just spitting when I was leaving the house. It got all the way to a full drizzle. I kept going because I know this afternoon should be nice out with no rain.
Old 06-28-21, 04:03 AM
essiemyra

Back at Monday again. It was a pleasant ride though plenty of humidity and warmth this morning. It was 74 f degrees walking out of my house at 5:15 am. I will take it slow going home.
Old 07-02-21, 08:53 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
My Perfect Commute...

... is one big loop. 6 miles to work, and 18 miles home. There are cafés and pubs, even a brewery taproom along the route. And I always bring my camera, so I can do stuff like this:

and this:

and these:

Shot this morning:

The key is to leave the house early, and allow plenty of time for the ride home.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 07-05-21, 04:30 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Hey everyone, or at least the few regulars left on this thread. My latest first cycle commute of the year ever! I think I've been saying that every year for the past 5 years. Crazy that it took me until the second half of the year for me to ride to work. Naturally, I blame COVID. And weather. And equipment. And kids. And whatever other excuse I can find. Nice to see Tundra_Man 's streak going strong.

Pretty nice day for a bike ride. After a week of record-setting heat, it was a nice and cool 18C/64F when I left home, and only a little warmer now that it's time to head back.

Hopefully I'll be frequenting this thread quite a bit over the next month. I'm back in the office full time (until the next wave, anyway) and no holidays until August.
Likes For groovestew:
Old 07-05-21, 10:43 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Monday's commute was a game of two halves. Just about got in before the rain started but there was no escaping it on the way home and I got absolutely drenched. Still great to be out though!
Old 07-06-21, 04:41 AM
essiemyra

Back at the work week again. I was able to commute this morning by bike. It had rained some time during the night and the roads were still wet this am. But at least it was not raining while I was riding. So a win!
Old 07-06-21, 07:28 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1226:

Haven't posted an update in a few weeks, as not much noteworthy has happened. Just riding my bike back and forth every day.

Today they're projecting rain this afternoon, so I took the hybrid with fenders. I hope they're right. It's incredibly dry here. The river is so low that there's grass growing in the middle of the riverbed that is usually many feet underwater. I haven't been down to Falls Park, but I've heard the amount of water coming over them is so underwhelming that visitors are wondering why our city would be named after them.
Old 07-07-21, 01:38 PM
groovestew

Cool and foggy this morning, but I'll take it; there's some hot dry days ahead. We haven't recovered from the last brutal heat wave.
Old 07-09-21, 10:51 AM
groovestew

Guess I'm replying to myself. This used to be such a lively thread! Not that I've helped much this year. I'm feeling my lack of riding. On the way home yesterday, a somewhat portly fellow easily beat me up a hill. That never used to happen.

Last couple of days has been about 18C/64F for the ride in, which might sound nice and cool to some of you, but for us high-altitude northerners, where the sunrise is 5:00 am and the sun is already beating down by 8:00 am, it feels more like 25C/77F, and that's pretty warm for me. Dripping sweat by the time I got to work. Good thing I'm alone in the office today. Next week, the boss is back from vacation, along with everyone else who is still working from home while they can get away with it.

Have a great weekend, everyone.
Old 07-09-21, 12:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I think a lot of people will head back to the office when the school year starts. I’m not sure what that will mean for BF activity, because it’s been steadily dropping for years.
Old 07-13-21, 04:06 AM
essiemyra

I took a risk riding this morning as it showed rain but it was not raining when I left the house. It was raining within five minutes after leaving the house. It at first was a light drizzle so I went forward telling myself I could make the call and turn around and ride home. Though once I hit the half-way point going back is really never an option. So I rode in the rain this am. At least I was riding!
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 07-13-21, 06:19 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Took The Long Way Home... Again

This 18-mile route home from work takes me through the best scenery Saint Paul, MN has to offer. It also doubles my commuting miles, which is a good thing for a 58 year old Clydesdale like me.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 07-13-21, 07:09 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1231:

A pleasant morning with the temp at 65°F and hardly any wind. I took the road bike. Today is a split commute with me riding 8 miles to the office, then 9 miles to a client location, then 4.5 miles home.

Saw a deer and a couple wild turkeys before I even got out of my neighborhood. The MUP was pretty packed with people out enjoying the beautiful weather. June was brutal, and we were all bracing ourselves for when the "real" heat arrived in July, but these last two weeks or so have been very tolerable. Supposed to peak out today at 86°F.

Not specifically commuting related, but because I hauled it with me on the bike and then used it after I got to work I'll go ahead and share: I got a new electric razor and tried it out for the first time this morning. My old one was still working, but the blades finally bit the dust after 9 years of use. I went to buy new blades and discovered they don't make them any more. Found some on eBay from China that were supposed to fit, but frankly didn't feel like risking my face to knock-off razor blades. So I resigned myself to having to buy a brand new razor.

I created a deal alert on my favorite bargain hunter website, and after three months finally got a hit on a new razor that matched what I was looking for. Got it about 40% off to boot. I must say, comparing the shave between 9-year-old and brand new blades is striking. I suppose the old blades just gradually got dull and I didn't really notice much difference until they completely went over the edge and stopped cutting altogether. At the moment my face is the smoothest it's been in years.

Posted my latest commuting highlights video:

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 07-13-21 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-13-21, 11:35 AM
groovestew

Pretty nice ride in. There were a few wispy clouds between me and the sun which helped to keep the air feeling cool when out in the open. I saw a rabbit and a chipmunk, which isn't quite as exciting as deer and wild turkeys, but it's something. The chipmunk seemed a little out of sorts, actually.
Old 07-13-21, 05:23 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
Pretty nice ride in. There were a few wispy clouds between me and the sun which helped to keep the air feeling cool when out in the open. I saw a rabbit and a chipmunk, which isn't quite as exciting as deer and wild turkeys, but it's something. The chipmunk seemed a little out of sorts, actually.
I appreciate your posts 🤗

Since moving to the city my commute has turned into a 18km bike path ride along the highway, with a plethora of multi sided thorns and industrial debris. To top it off, I have to get up by 5am and recently my sleep has been taking precedent over miles 😂
Old 07-14-21, 11:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I planned to take my bike to the daycare and ride to work from there. I could not, however, find my badge. I got the kids dropped off and went home, and found my badge almost immediately. I then drove back to the daycare and rode from there after all. Only going to be here for a couple hours, girl twin is going to dance camp at lunch time.
Old 07-15-21, 04:31 AM
essiemyra

A pleasant though damp commute yet again, though luckily today was just a dense fog no rain or drizzle. Yay!
Old 07-15-21, 11:22 AM
groovestew

Do you ever get those, "Did I leave the curling iron plugged in?" moments? Those things you do so much by rote that your brain doesn't register the action as a memory? This morning, I was about a click and a half from home, and I suddenly thought, "Did I leave the garage door open?" I mean, of course I didn't, because I never do, but I had no recollection of closing it. Normally, I would continue to work and phone my wife when I got there, but she's away for a few days with the kids. So, I turned around and rode back home to check. Yes, it was closed.

I then decided to try another route to work. It's a bit longer, but there's some impending construction along my normal route that might force me to an alternate anyway, so I tried it out. Besides, I was already late for work, so why not add a few more minutes? It's a route I've ridden many times recreationally, but alway in the opposite direction. There's a long gravel descent that I don't care much for, but overall the route is okay. There's a section of road that I've long suspected has a subtle slope, imperceptible to the eye, but I've always flown down that road. Going the other way, I can confirm that yes indeed, the road is sloped. Maybe half a percent, but it's enough to feel the extra effort in the legs.

Hazy and warm this morning. Some evidence of showers from last night, but boy do we ever need more rain. We're in an historic drought here, with less than half the rainfall over the past couple months as our previous driest year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.