Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What MTB is under this Fire Brigade?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 07:30 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts

In the sixties The Move sang 'run and get the fire brigade'. I did not run but still got this fire brigade mtb.
But what's under the paint? It's imo a light (alloy) frame. Someone here who can help me? Just curious, I'm not in the MTB-world.

I would appreciate your help.
Old 07-14-21, 07:38 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Have you tried a magnet? It's the quickest step to determine if you have Steel or Aluminum. Non-magnetic would narrow it down a great deal if you're trying to determine the tubing manufacturer. If it's steel, you have myriad possibilities that you can narrow down with tubing ID for the seat tube (and OD can help a bit too, if oversized). Cro-Moly is Cro-Moly, the differences would be in the butting, rifling, etc.

Have many MTB's been built with Mangalloy (aka Reynolds 531 and similar)??
Old 07-14-21, 09:59 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

It's not magnetic, no steel. The seatube diameter is 31.0 mm.
Old 07-14-21, 10:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's designed for an optional rear disc brake, so it's likely not C&V. Probably contract built in Asia.
Old 07-14-21, 10:33 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Now, I'm going to assume that you're really interested in the manufacturer of this frame. You have several clues to work with.
The frame is disc ready, but equipped with cantilever brake posts and bosses. The housing stops for the disc brakes seem to be designed around cable-actuated, rather than hydraulic brakes.
All cables are routed along the top tube.
The bottom bracket shell is threaded.
The frame is designed for a QR or nutted axle, not a through axle, with a replaceable RD hanger.
The frame is using separate seat stays, rather than a wishbone.
In the US, Trek and Specialized are the names most frequently seen on "governmental" bicycles (typically law enforcement). I'm not sure that's the case where you are. The features on the bike should give you an era to search through frames to try and find one with the details that match. I'd start searching from 5-15 years ago.
Old 07-14-21, 11:11 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
This frame is for V brakes, not cantilever brakes. No cable stop for canti. I'm sure it's not a Specialized or a Cannondale because I've had both of those.

Maybe ask in the retro subforum on MTBR

I am sorry to point this out but the era for bikes with both disc and canti tabs was around Y2K, 20-ish years ago. That's only a few years older than bike-boom C&V bikes were when this website started. C&V is going to have to come to terms with this. Or... Maybe we need a non-disc elastomer-fork MTB forum to go with the early-brifter forum, hahaha.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-14-21, 11:17 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Wow. I like it. But now the questions:

Was that likely ordered by the Fire Department (Brigade) from a manufacture all painted and graphics applied?
How was it likely intended to be used by the Fire Department?
Would it be used for actually going to a fire?
Do you have Firemen competitions like we do in the United States?
Do you have a competition that involves a bicycle? We have one that involves a high powered "Truck" with a big V8 engine and excellent brakes to deliver a ladder and crew to a platform.
Would that be used in Parades?

I'm sorry that you came for answers and I have none. Only questions.

One more question. Where can I get one? I'm not an actual fireman so perhaps it wouldn't be appropriate for me.
Old 07-14-21, 12:46 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
We have one that involves a high powered "Truck" with a big V8 engine and excellent brakes to deliver a ladder and crew to a platform.
Hicksville, Long Island. The Wide World of Sports! That sure beat having to watch golf, tennis or curling on TV back in the '60s.
Old 07-14-21, 01:12 PM
fabiofarelli

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Was that likely ordered by the Fire Department (Brigade) from a manufacture all painted and graphics applied?
How was it likely intended to be used by the Fire Department?
Would it be used for actually going to a fire?
Do you have a competition that involves a bicycle? We have one that involves a high powered "Truck" with a big V8 engine and excellent brakes to deliver a ladder and crew to a platform.
Would that be used in Parades?
Where can I get one? I'm not an actual fireman so perhaps it wouldn't be appropriate for me.
I'll try to answer from the first question to the last.
I think it's ordered by the local Fire Department at a local shop and there they arranged paint and graphics. There are more Dutch Firemen MTB's on the internet and this one is different, also the name of a local manufacture is on it. Till now hey had no answer for me. On the upper tube is atb-team written so I presume it's used for sports. In the Netherlands are Fire Departments that use mtb's at fires but also for 'commuting', most firemen in the Netherlands are volunteers who have to go quick to the department in case of fire. And yes, there are competitions, even a national championship in cooperation with the Police. Far as I know these are 'normal' bike matches. And I don't think there are that many firemen parades here, I've never heard of one.
There's one for sale at 'Marktplaats' now, almost new.

But not classic and vintage. And 450 euro.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 07-14-21, 02:30 PM
fabiofarelli

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
In the Netherlands are Fire Departments that use mtb's at fires but also for 'commuting', most firemen in the Netherlands are volunteers who have to go quick to the department in case of fire. .
About use at fires I checked the information and discovered that was probably a practical joke, the post was published the day before April Fools Day ...

Last edited by fabiofarelli; 07-15-21 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 12:11 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I am sorry to point this out but the era for bikes with both disc and canti tabs was around Y2K, 20-ish years ago. That's only a few years older than bike-boom C&V bikes were when this website started. C&V is going to have to come to terms with this. Or... Maybe we need a non-disc elastomer-fork MTB forum to go with the early-brifter forum, hahaha.
Perhaps we should rename this the Relics of a Bygone Era Forum, or perhaps the Gone With the Wind Forum.