Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 03-01-19, 10:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Hardly anything on the radar, so I was ready to head out. Loaded up the bike, walked out of the garage, and it started raining pretty hard. I decided I needed to adjust the fender line (inside the garage).

Rain let up and quit before I made it to work. I don't know if it was the fender or truing the back wheel the other night, but the annoying, once per wheel revolution, thwack! thwack! thwack! was gone. Quiet ride in, rather calming.
Old 03-01-19, 10:36 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Hit a pothole yesterday and jammed my recently dislocated shoulder. Still rode 20 miles of errands (only 15 after the pothole). Took today off from the bike, expect to take Monday off too, so 4 day break. When the dislocation was fresh there was a snowstorm so I took a full 9 days off (although day 1 was spent pruning trees leaning on the power line to our house so a lot of range of motion and weight-at-distance testing...)
Old 03-01-19, 10:38 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I hope tundra man does well with his surgery. Mine worked. I knew it had immediately upon waking. Now it’s just a long road of recovery from the sternotomy. The surgeon took out more than he anticipated, it was more blocked than he had guessed.

just like TM, I had a good heart otherwise. They gave me a cardiac catheterization just before (because I complained more of chest pain than SOB) and they said my coronaries looked great.
Glad to hear things are looking up. My wife had a cardiac catheterization recently, it was described as non or minimally invasive; cutting a hole in her neck to run a camera through the chambers of her heart seemed pretty invasive though. No hacking giant slices like you got, though...
Old 03-01-19, 11:00 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I hope tundra man does well with his surgery. Mine worked. I knew it had immediately upon waking. Now it’s just a long road of recovery from the sternotomy. The surgeon took out more than he anticipated, it was more blocked than he had guessed.

just like TM, I had a good heart otherwise. They gave me a cardiac catheterization just before (because I complained more of chest pain than SOB) and they said my coronaries looked great.
Glad to hear you noticed immediate improvement!

I had another angiogram and TEE last week in preparation for my upcoming surgery. Outside of my leaking aortic valve, everything looked great. My valve leakage is now at 33% which means a 1/3 of all the blood my heart pumps doesn't go anywhere. The odd thing is, I really don't feel any symptoms. No pain and I don't seem to get easily winded. Maybe when I wake up and find out what 100% blood flow feels like I'll notice a difference. Had they not initially heard the heart murmur from my leaking valve I probably wouldn't even know I have a bad heart.

The heart infection I've been fighting has been another story. That definitely kicked my butt. When that showed up there was no question something was wrong. That was more of an acute situation though, as opposed to my valve which has been ongoing for a lot of years. Thankfully a little more than a week into treatment and I'm feeling loads better than I was.
Old 03-01-19, 11:24 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
my weather app said a 2mph NNE wind before i left this morning (80% of my morning route is due north).

"nice, light winds today" i thought to myself.

LIES!!!!!

Last edited by Steely Dan; 03-01-19 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-01-19, 12:37 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
my weather app said a 2mph NNE wind before i left this morning (80% of my morning route is due north).

"nice, light winds today" i thought to myself.

LIES!!!!!
Same. Forecast said winds E at 5mph, winds were steady 10-15 NE (my best guess; flags on flagpoles were fully extended and leaves blowing around) so I had a headwind all the way to work, and rode my single speed flat bar bike today to boot. It was a challenge but the sun was shining and it's supposed to be warmer this afternoon, hopefully the wind won't shift to the west, which happens way more often than I'd prefer.
Old 03-01-19, 02:02 PM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Hardly anything on the radar, so I was ready to head out. Loaded up the bike, walked out of the garage, and it started raining pretty hard. I decided I needed to adjust the fender line (inside the garage).

Rain let up and quit before I made it to work. I don't know if it was the fender or truing the back wheel the other night, but the annoying, once per wheel revolution, thwack! thwack! thwack! was gone. Quiet ride in, rather calming.
Me, too. I'm gonna do general maintenance this weekend cuz I'm getting a little bit of fender thwack! as well, along with some rubber-sounding creaking outta somewhere.

Thurs PM: So much for that forecast of light winds. 20+ mph east winds the whole way. Combine that with my already tired legs and it was definitely a battle. Strava was like, "hey Lylo, you've ridden a lot of miles this week, might wanna take it easy!" I'm at ~115 all-purpose miles this week, and ~140 in the last 7 calendar days, so I guess it's no wonder I'm feeling beat up.

Fri AM: Nope. My body has had enough for this week. I'm sore and tired and I really didn't wanna get out of bed this morning. I don't feel too terribly guilty about driving today.
Old 03-01-19, 02:18 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
First ride in a week. Felt a bad cold coming on this time last Friday, and spent four days on my back. Finally back to work Wed, but still not feeling strong, and it was blanking cold too. Today's the first day it's above 20-ish, and I'm feeling well enough. Good thing, too; I had an unexpected customer site stop first thing,.Not far from home, but would have been a PITA by bus. Patches of ice everywhere, on the streets and the MUPs. Plow/shovel mounds are piling up high at some intersections, driveway entrances, etc, to the point of obsucring visibility.

cheapBay 18650 LED flashlight w/handlebar bracket arrived last night; will be able to try it out on the ride home.
Old 03-03-19, 12:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I came home from the hospital last night. It’s going to get frustrating before it gets well! But right now my family is here and it’s a lovely rainy day. It’s taking some willpower not to go downstairs with them but the boys’ favorite game right now is tackle, and that’s not recommend for healing a sternotomy. I’m ensconced at the window looking out like Jimmy Stewart. This morning everything was still. Now there’s a gentle drizzle and breeze moving the boughs.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-03-19 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 12:32 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^^ Reboot - "Left Window"?
Old 03-04-19, 07:36 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Bunch of rain yesterday, but none of the severe weather that hit Alabama and Georgia. Roads were dry this morning, but it was windy. Luckily mostly in my favor. I had a few 18+mph miles where I normally don't.

I left early and went to the gym on the way to work as I try to do every Monday. About 42F for the ride, but I went with shorts.
Old 03-04-19, 08:18 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

-7F with a -25F wind chill. Welcome to March in South Dakota.

I had just parked my bike this morning and still was wearing all my cold weather gear as I was walking across the parking ramp, when I encountered the mayor. He told me I looked like I was, "ready to conquer the world." I told him most people think I look like I'm ready to be shot out of a cannon.

Dr appointment this afternoon. Have to ride straight into the wind to get there, so I should be good and tuckered out for my examination.
Old 03-04-19, 09:26 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
We were expecting our biggest snowfall of the season overnight, which usually means I share the roads with snowlplows at 5 AM, which is dangerous. They come through in series, moving fast, one after the other, each one pushing the accumulated snow a little farther off to the side. Potential nightmare fur a cyclist. So I didn't set my alarm, just stayed in bed. Well it looks like they finished plowing earlier, and the roads were clear by the time the sun came up. I probably could have got to the station safely.

But, oh well, I'm home today. No worries.
Old 03-04-19, 10:37 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts

Nice little ride this morning. 23mm slicks handled it with aplomb. (This was from Friday, but pretty much the same today...)
Old 03-04-19, 11:37 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Had to go rescue my daughter this morning, her chain snapped on the way to school
Old 03-04-19, 12:30 PM
OhLylo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Upper 40s and breezy this morning. I was commuting the 9AM hour since I was working last night until late. Felt fresh and fast, which I guess a couple days of rest will do after a lot of miles last week. I did have one jerk get mad that she had to wait ~30 seconds to pass (chalk it up to more traffic due to the later ride in) and rage-pass me on the steep dirt shoulder. Got a lay on the horn and a middle finger out of it. And then she turned into the same place I work at! Sadly I got stuck at a light so I couldn't track her down to get her plate and report it to security forces.

Also, the mystery creak is still there after maintenance this weekend. I think it might be my left cleat. Once I have more time I need to sit down and fiddle with the cleat. Or maybe ride around the block in flat shoes and see if it still happens.
Old 03-04-19, 02:03 PM
madpogue 

-3F this AM, moderate wind, sunny and dry. Somehow missed the last AM bus, so biked in unexpectedly. First time getting exhalation fogging, glasses under the goggles. Pulling down the balaclava helped. Will try a refresh coat of anti-fog snake-oil before the ride home.
Old 03-04-19, 09:27 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Hi! Nice break in the rain today, so I had a beautiful ride home. 50ish, 5-6 mph headwind (as usual), even a bit of sun! Even got my new mirror dialed in as much as possible; just need something sturdier than rubber bands to hold it on. The only downside to a Jones loop bar.

And tomorrow's 50% chance of rain has gone to zero! Woo hoo!
Old 03-04-19, 09:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Come on spring! Hurry up!

I rode to Hunter College to visit the admissions office. I plan to attend in the fall. The commute was a damned pain. I need a much better route than the one I took. I got there, and the security guard said the college was closed for the day because of the snow. This is the snow we thought we would get but didn't get. All schools were closed. So I took the time to do some extra riding. I rode down the East River path which still sucks big time, then around the southern tip of Manhattan, and up the Hudson River path.

Later, I rode to Brooklyn to volunteer at the bike coop. I really like going there on Monday nights. And of course I rode back. My body is well acclimated to the cold weather. I'm hardly wearing much, but I'm tired of it. The more intense light of spring seems to be here, but the weather isn't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-05-19, 07:36 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Low 30s made for a chilly ride in. I thought we were out of those temps for the season. But it's supposed to get even colder the next couple of mornings.

Managed to leave a few minutes early and get an extra mile or so on the way in. Hoping to hit 500+ this month, so every little extra helps.

While I was locking my bike a co-worker walking in paused to say, "I was following you for a little bit and just noticed that you are really good at riding a bike." I half-laughed and said, "Thanks." No idea what I did to make her think that. I was not trying to be like Danny Macaskill. Just riding to work.
Old 03-05-19, 08:26 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

5F with a -10F wind chill. Wind is causing some drifting, which made for a few tough spots for me, but is really becoming an issue outside of town where roads are drifting shut faster than plows can keep them open.

More snow is predicted for Thurs-Fri. I'm really starting to feel like winter has overstayed its welcome.
Old 03-05-19, 08:30 AM
OhLylo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Low 30s made for a chilly ride in. I thought we were out of those temps for the season. But it's supposed to get even colder the next couple of mornings.
Same here, we're not there yet. The rest of this week is set to top out in the low 50s during the day. I guess winter is hanging on for a little while longer. Friday's high is currently expected to be 49 (!) - thankfully I'm off work that day and planning a rest day anyways.

Mon PM: 68F, breezy. Couldn't ask for nicer weather, really. I got home and changed into shorts and a t-shirt! Shame we're losing that nice weather for the rest of the week.

Tue AM: 42F, clear. Lovely orange and red sunrise this morning. It's forecasted to rain starting around 4 today, so I'm hoping to be off in time to dodge most/all of that.
Old 03-05-19, 09:05 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Lots of snowmelt yesterday, water running over the roads everywhere as it got dark, and then the temperature dropped to 20 F overnight. So needless to say I was pretty worried about black ice this morning! But there wasn't much, and fortunately I ride to the station before there's much traffic, so I was able to ride around the icy patches.

20F is really cold. I'm so tired of the cold that I took the bar mitts off my bike a few days ago. This was not a clever move.
Old 03-05-19, 11:09 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
20F is really cold. I'm so tired of the cold that I took the bar mitts off my bike a few days ago. This was not a clever move.
Obviously your brain was affected by the cold, so totally understandable. Myself, I'm getting pruny from all the rain. So. much. rain.
Old 03-05-19, 02:14 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I rode to Hunter College to visit the admissions office. I plan to attend in the fall. The commute was a damned pain. I need a much better route than the one I took. I got there, and the security guard said the college was closed for the day because of the snow. This is the snow we thought we would get but didn't get. All schools were closed. So I took the time to do some extra riding. I rode down the East River path which still sucks big time, then around the southern tip of Manhattan, and up the Hudson River path.

Later, I rode to Brooklyn to volunteer at the bike coop. I really like going there on Monday nights. And of course I rode back. My body is well acclimated to the cold weather. I'm hardly wearing much, but I'm tired of it. The more intense light of spring seems to be here, but the weather isn't.
Where in Brooklyn is this coop?

And you are probably better off just riding down 2nd Avenue if you need to head dowtown on the east side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.