Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some help needed in narrowing down my choices for a new bicycle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 02:39 PM
Punchy71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying my first bicycle in a very, very long time and could use some guidance and suggestions. I'd sort of like a Hybrid or "Urban" bicycle for everyday, general purpose, exercise and commuting riding....
Hybrid or Urban bikes have elements of both Mountain and Touring/Road models but vary greatly in spec. I'm wanting one with a very upright riding position and I don't think I want one with a traditional riding position where I'm leaning far forward almost over the handle bars (typically like road bikes make you do), as this can make my back hurt over long distance riding. I'm partial to steel frames, but aluminum or other materials are okay too. I usually ride on the street but the streets around where I live are very rough and uneven, and plan to take it off-road every once in a while, but not very often. So it's mostly going to be street riden (but not entirely). It can be vintage or new, I'm fine either way. I'm 6-foot, zero inches tall and weigh typically in the 185 pound range with tall, long legs,(if that helps out any). Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 01-06-20, 02:44 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Look into Fuji bicycles. Good bicycles for the price.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-06-20, 07:52 PM
Punchy71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, .... Japanese. Sounds good. What about Nishiki? How well do they compare to Fuji?
Old 01-06-20, 08:25 PM
supersport73

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 1981 AustroDaimler SLE, 1981 Miyata 912, 1985 Trek 510, 1986 Schwinn Paramount, 1990 Team Miyata

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a couple of Miyatas that I use to ride around town. They both have Nitto riser quill stems. The taller stems keep the handlebars at the same level as the saddle. I find the higher handlebars are more comfortable. The bike with the shorter wheelbase is more nimble. The other bike seems more laid back.
Old 01-06-20, 08:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Punchy71
Hmm, .... Japanese. Sounds good. What about Nishiki? How well do they compare to Fuji?
if you only have 500 ish to spend Nishiki is ok. Dicks sporting goods bikes.
Old 01-07-20, 05:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Neither Fuji nor Nishiki have anything to do with Japan. Similar to how McDonald's French fries having nothing to do with France.

How much money do you intend to spend on the bike purchase, and do you have any bicycle retail stores within a reasonable distance to your home? By starting there, you can have someone to show you various styles as well as sizes to suit your needs. At 72 inches with longer legs, you'll find that a smaller frame will fit better.

What does that mean? The reach from your saddle to the handlebars should be proportionally shorter than what's needed for a long torso body type (like me).

Look for something like a Specialized Sirrus, Trek FX 7.x series, or Giant Escape for what you've described.
Old 01-07-20, 07:45 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I'm not going to focus on brands as that can be dependent on what's available in your area. I suggest you make a priority of getting a bike with front (only) suspension given possible street issues and your desire for occasional off-road trips. However, suspension adds weight which will make for a tougher ride if you haven't done it in a while. So, I'd abandon steel frames and look for lighter materials. Also, I suggest looking at used bikes on Craigslist and similar sites in order to 1. save some money, 2. get a good selection and 3. not invest a lot in case you decide to take up something else or change your mind on what you like in a bike. $500 is the most you should spend on a bike considering your current needs and I suspect you'll find a nice used bike for your current need at half that or less.

BTW, invest in some padding you can wear under shorts. It will make for a better riding experience.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-07-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 09:38 AM
Punchy71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Neither Fuji nor Nishiki have anything to do with Japan. Similar to how McDonald's French fries having nothing to do with France.
Wikipedia says: "Fuji is a bicycle manufacturer originally established in Japan in 1899." and "Nishiki was initially manufactured by Kawamura Cycle Co. in Kobe, Japan".
Old 01-07-20, 09:56 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Wikipedia says: "Fuji is a bicycle manufacturer originally established in Japan in 1899." and "Nishiki was initially manufactured by Kawamura Cycle Co. in Kobe, Japan".
Really? You discovered that all on your own, too.

Of course, your thread mentioned both Fuji and Nishiki in their present production form, not in vintage. So, who owns the brands now (hints: ASI, and Acell Group), and where are they each headquartered? And, where is production done?
Old 01-07-20, 10:01 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Salsa Fargo
Old 01-07-20, 10:04 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Really? You discovered that all on your own, too. Of course, your thread mentioned both Fuji and Nishiki in their present production form, not in vintage.
He says vintage or new.

It can be vintage or new, I'm fine either way.
Old 01-07-20, 10:34 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Don't have a bike to recommend but would like to note that being upright is not necessarily better for your back. Being very upright without suspension on a bad surface can lead to really bad back pain.

Back when I was motorcycling, I had a bike that kept me upright and it could be really hard on my back. Later I swapped the handlebars from pull backs to a flat track type, which forced me to lean over just a bit and magically the back soreness disappeared. I could be on it all day with no discomfort at all.

You'll likely be leaned over a bit with most hybrids and that is a good thing in my opinion.
Old 01-07-20, 10:38 AM
Punchy71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of vintage and new. How far back in time can I pick out a vintage frame and reasonably expect it to be compatible with new or much more modern standard and standardized components?
Old 01-07-20, 10:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Indeed .... but check your calendar. 1899 was a little while ago.

The entire human race came from a small region in Africa, apparently. Therefore we are all African?
Old 01-07-20, 10:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
If you are a new rider, unless you have a couple good friends who know a lot about bikes and are generous with their time, I'd recommend avoiding used bikes. Easy to find a hidden gem, easy to buy a lemon. Guess which happens more?

Best thing to do is to go to local bike shops and see what's available. take some test rides, visit as many shops and ride as many bikes as you can. Do Not get talked into buying the first bike that feels good for fifteen minutes.

Once you have a list of bikes you've tested, pick the ones you liked best, and go online and check out the parts spec---or come here with brands, models, and if possible, links, and people here will help.
Old 01-07-20, 11:44 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts

FYI Nishiki never actually built their frames, the company was an importer to the US from Japan prolly in the 1960s. They started buying their frames mainly from Giant in Taiwan for their low/mid price bikes back in the mid 80s. I think around 2000 the brand was sold to Dick Sporting Goods. Phil_Gretz is correct they have nothing to do with Japan. Even so I have two Giant built Nishiki frames from the mid 80s, well built. Nishiki of today is not the same animal. Still, they might be an acceptable choice for your needs if your needs will allow a department store bike.

There is a lot of uncertainty these days about the Fuji brand. I think the company was at least partly owned by Performance Bicycle which went ch. 11 last year.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 01-07-20, 12:11 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Thomas15
FYI Nishiki never actually built their frames, the company was an importer to the US from Japan prolly in the 1960s. Phil_Gretz is correct they have nothing to do with Japan. .
You are contradicting yourself. Even if they didn't build their own frames, they were still made in Japan at some point. Both my Nishiki Prestige and Nishiki Tri-A from the 80's both say "Japan". I'll go out on a limb and say that being made in Japan would have something to do with Japan.

For the OP, most likely and decent cro-moly steel frame from the '80's could be updated and used with modern parts if desired.

Last edited by Jicafold; 01-07-20 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 01-07-20, 12:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
FYI Nishiki never actually built their frames, the company was an importer to the US from Japan prolly in the 1960s. They started buying their frames mainly from Giant in Taiwan for their low/mid price bikes back in the mid 80s. I think around 2000 the brand was sold to Dick Sporting Goods. Phil_Gretz is correct they have nothing to do with Japan. Even so I have two Giant built Nishiki frames from the mid 80s, well built. Nishiki of today is not the same animal. Still, they might be an acceptable choice for your needs if your needs will allow a department store bike.

There is a lot of uncertainty these days about the Fuji brand. I think the company was at least partly owned by Performance Bicycle which went ch. 11 last year.

Fuji is currently owned by Advanced Holdings,Co., Ltd., which is Hong Kong or Singapore based, depending on the reporting source.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...d#.XhTHIEdKhpg
Old 01-07-20, 01:54 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
You are contradicting yourself. Even if they didn't build their own frames, they were still made in Japan at some point. Both my Nishiki Prestige and Nishiki Tri-A from the 80's both say "Japan". I'll go out on a limb and say that being made in Japan would have something to do with Japan.

For the OP, most likely and decent cro-moly steel frame from the '80's could be updated and used with modern parts if desired.

Not that I really care but if you read what I wrote then you will see that I spoke the truth.

I think it was around 1985 that Nishiki started buying their low to mid range frames from Giant. Probably it was later that the higher level frames left Japan. It was a phased in thing. The frame in the picture is either pre- mid 80s but it looks like it is tange and has better quality rear drop outs meaning it was probably not a mid to low level frame. My Nishiki Olympic 1986 (DB CroMo) was when I purchased it the most expensive model they offered that year that was not made in Japan. A few years later all of the frames were from outside Japan.

My brother has a mid 70s Nishiki, an entry level frame that was made in Japan. Back then all of the frames were made in Japan. But none of that matters now because the frames today come from China. Another point is that Nishiki was always an importer (West Coast Cycles) not really a manufacturer. Even in the Japan days they just put together bikes from parts and frames purchased from wherever.
Old 01-07-20, 02:02 PM
Jicafold

My brother has a mid 70s Nishiki, an entry level frame that was made in Japan. Back then all of the frames were made in Japan.
Phil_Gretz is correct they have nothing to do with Japan.
A contradiction.

Another point is that Nishiki was always an importer (West Coast Cycles) not really a manufacturer.
An importer....from Japan.

Last edited by Jicafold; 01-07-20 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 09:26 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Some useful info here:

City Bikes | LocalMile

You're on the right track thinking upright. There are a lot of good reasons that the vast majority of people outside of the U.S. ride them.
Old 01-09-20, 06:47 AM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Really? You discovered that all on your own, too.

Of course, your thread mentioned both Fuji and Nishiki in their present production form, not in vintage. So, who owns the brands now (hints: ASI, and Acell Group), and where are they each headquartered? And, where is production done?
”Obnoxious” is the only polite response I can think of for this post.
Old 01-09-20, 07:25 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying my first bicycle in a very, very long time and could use some guidance and suggestions. I'd sort of like a Hybrid or "Urban" bicycle for everyday, general purpose, exercise and commuting riding....
Hybrid or Urban bikes have elements of both Mountain and Touring/Road models but vary greatly in spec. I'm wanting one with a very upright riding position and I don't think I want one with a traditional riding position where I'm leaning far forward almost over the handle bars (typically like road bikes make you do), as this can make my back hurt over long distance riding. I'm partial to steel frames, but aluminum or other materials are okay too. I usually ride on the street but the streets around where I live are very rough and uneven, and plan to take it off-road every once in a while, but not very often. So it's mostly going to be street riden (but not entirely). It can be vintage or new, I'm fine either way. I'm 6-foot, zero inches tall and weigh typically in the 185 pound range with tall, long legs,(if that helps out any). Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.
Thank you

Let me steer us back toward your concerns. I am of the belief that at a given price point, brand does not matter. At $500 all the bikes will have the same or similar parts hanging on them. If you want to get the most bang for your buck, you can find a good used bike or a closeout new bike and get more out of your $500. If you have basic set-up knowledge, every now and then some surprisingly good online deals will surface. Is mail order an option for you?
Old 01-09-20, 07:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by flyjimmy
”Obnoxious” is the only polite response I can think of for this post.
You're right. Not my finest moment. Sorry to all for that attitude...PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-09-20, 07:52 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Do you have some good bike shops in your area? First thing you want to do is decide what type of bike works best for you. And if riding rough pavement or off road, do you need a suspension front fork (they will not be great on lower priced bikes, but may take the "edge" off of a rough ride), or will wider tires be sufficient. Lots of things to consider and a good shop can help. Fit will be very important-you might find a bike with good standover, but stretches you out too far to the handlebar. If not too bad, that may be easily fixed with a shorter stem or seat adjustment. LOTS of things to consider for someone who hasn't ridden for a while and wants to get back into it. You may end up spending more than $500, but you might find it was worth it in the long run (or ride). Lots of good bikes out there, happy hunting!