Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fun with spray paint

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fun with spray paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 08:49 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Fun with spray paint

Absolutely not sold on spray.bike. $16 cans of paint and $8 shipping with no idea of matching.

I've got a pretty sweet steel road bike. A couple years ago I made the decision to get a carbon fork, I needed a longer steerer and couldn't aesthetically justify other cockpit options.

I have been very pleased with the ride and fit, but a carbon color fork on a nicely painted steel ride is a little fugly. The bike was built for straight legs anyway.

The fork it came with. A beauty.

As it sits except I went back to Look and put black hoods on.

I was pretty lucky that Lowe's had some industrial paint the exact color of my bike. I found a 1" straight leg fork I like. I've been having a pandemic of a good time sanding and priming it. Hopefully I'll have the final color on today so I can wet sand (2-3000 grit) tomorrow.

I've got some ideas so I won't have to learn to do a fade. It'll look good. Pics this afternoon.

For weight weenies. Steel fork, 650g, curved fork 480g, straight fork 375g.

The straight leg fork in 1" didn't seem to exist a few years ago. It does now. Such is the life of a consumer.
Old 03-22-20, 09:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
What brifter is that?

Dan
Old 03-22-20, 09:33 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
What brifter is that?

Dan
There's STI's, Ergo's and generally brake/shifter combos. Are you interested in what sort of snipples I built my wheels with?

It's grating. Like that kid in class that called Crayons "crowns" then proceeded to eat them. Don't be that kid.

10 Speed Campy Chorus, right before they switched to carbon levers.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-22-20, 10:30 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Final coat of primer. Off to the cab of my truck to "cook".

Wet sand, clean, and actual paint this afternoon if the primer seems sufficiently hard. If not, tomorrow.
Old 03-22-20, 10:43 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
That will look great when it’s done.

I loathe the dorky term “brifters.” It sounds like something that someone would say who also calls a saddle a “chair.” I never like “spork,” either. (Or Spock, for that matter. I’m a Star Wars guy. Come to think of it, “brifter” sounds like something that a guy who actually learned how to speak Klingon and went to Star Trek conventions would bandy about in casual dorky conversation.)

Anyway, post more pics.
Old 03-22-20, 10:54 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
There's STI's, Ergo's and generally brake/shifter combos. Are you interested in what sort of snipples I built my wheels with?

It's grating. Like that kid in class that called Crayons "crowns" then proceeded to eat them. Don't be that kid.

10 Speed Campy Chorus, right before they switched to carbon levers.
What? Crayons? No...I'm asking what brand/model (speed) they are. I have a couple old bikes with downtube shifters (7/8 gears) that I want to covert, but want something with both brake AND shifter cables that can route beneath the bar wrap.

Dan

Dan
Old 03-22-20, 11:40 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
What? Crayons? No...I'm asking what brand/model (speed) they are. I have a couple old bikes with downtube shifters (7/8 gears) that I want to covert, but want something with both brake AND shifter cables that can route beneath the bar wrap.

Dan

Dan
​​​​I know that 8 speed Campagnolo is available on eBay. It should suit your needs. I don't know if parts and hoods are still available though.
Old 03-22-20, 12:32 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Getting closer. Probably going to do a couple more coats with about 30 minutes dry time between.

Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-22-20, 01:38 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
What paint are you using?
Old 03-22-20, 01:48 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I saw a 30' boat a guy had painted with hardware store spray paint. It looked good, and lasted at least 3 years in a marine environment.
Good luck
Old 03-22-20, 01:55 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
What paint are you using?
Red

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's the Rust-Oleum professional high performance enamel. It'll get hit with 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper. I have some pinstripes I'll use in the color of the bikes decals. It should pop. I don't particularly want to clear coat it, but I might since I have to go to Lowe's tomorrow anyway.
Old 03-22-20, 02:05 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Hard to tell because your camera focused on the floor rather than the forks, but otherwise looks like an excellent job so far.

It's a bit late now, but you should have posted some pics of part of the sanding process.
Old 03-22-20, 03:21 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by JayKay3000
Hard to tell because your camera focused on the floor rather than the forks, but otherwise looks like an excellent job so far.

It's a bit late now, but you should have posted some pics of part of the sanding process.

​​​​​​What's to see? Carbon fiber sanded looks a little less shiny.

I had a better shot of the fork but it actually ended up with my license plate in the pic, so I skipped it. Pretty sunny outside, I couldn't see the screen.

I will mess with it a little tomorrow, likely finish sanding and pinstripes. Gotta work the rest of the week, last I heard we had 18 cases. Hopefully none of them need surgery.
Old 03-23-20, 12:38 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Well ****.

Pretty, isn't it? The fork, not the lawn.

Here it is, ready to go and looking great. All it needs is a clear coat and a few days to harden.

About that clear coat, I hit it with a light spray and right before my eyes watched the paint lift up in a scale pattern. It looked like I'd just applied paint remover. I had to double check that I didn't have a can of paint remover in my hand. I guess there are paint+clear coat incompatibility. I didn't scream or throw anything, though I'd like to.

Ruined.

I'll see if I can get to a reasonable base to start over with 400 grit. I don't want to have to go down to 220.

The only good news, a fork is small and everything else is in big can. I have more than enough to start over.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-23-20, 01:29 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
About that clear coat, I hit it with a light spray and right before my eyes watched the paint lift up in a scale pattern. It looked like I'd just applied paint remover. I had to double check that I didn't have a can of paint remover in my hand. I guess there are paint+clear coat incompatibility. I
So either they were incompatible or you applied the clearcoat at the wrong time. You would need to put it on within 30 minutes of the last color coat, or wait two days and wet sand and clear coat it at that time.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 03-23-20, 01:35 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Jicafold
So either they were incompatible or you applied the clearcoat at the wrong time. You would need to put it on within 30 minutes of the last color coat, or wait two days and wet sand and clear coat it at that time.
Interesting. It was about 24 hours.

I work Wednesday-Friday this week. So I'll be on pause.

I already got in down to where I want with 400 grit. I got one new coat on. I'll probably get 2 more today. It'll probably be next Sunday when I get back to it.

I'm going to find something else to paint today, so I can test the clear coat on it next week.
Old 03-23-20, 01:50 PM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
A couple years ago I made the decision to get a carbon fork, I needed a longer steerer and couldn't aesthetically justify other cockpit options.

I'm confused. The carbon fork you show in the picture, that you used because you needed a longer steerer, does not show more in the way of spacers than you would get from a steel fork/steerer with a quill stem. Or, did the steel fork come with an integrated stem?
Old 03-23-20, 02:00 PM
Jicafold

Interesting. It was about 24 hours.

I work Wednesday-Friday this week. So I'll be on pause.

I already got in down to where I want with 400 grit. I got one new coat on. I'll probably get 2 more today. It'll probably be next Sunday when I get back to it.

I'm going to find something else to paint today, so I can test the clear coat on it next week.
I used to have the same exact problem. I thought the surface was contaminated or something. I even called Rust oleum. That's the advice they gave me.
Old 03-23-20, 03:52 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I saw a threadless set-up for the first time in 1994. By 1998 quills were not on anything meant to go fast.

This bike came equipped 1" threadless and slammed all the way to the headset. I think the fork was even too short for that. I would have needed something silly like a 50 degree stem to get it right. I was completely unwilling to do that.
Old 03-23-20, 04:33 PM
Jicafold

I just painted this frame a few days ago. Same color Rustoleum I believe. Still waiting to put on decals, sand and clear coat.

Old 03-23-20, 04:50 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I'm honestly pleased with the paint. A little less pleased about faceplanting at the finish line though.