Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-17-20, 07:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
This morning I learned that even if I connect my Hammer to my 945 as a power meter, it still broadcasts speed as well. This generates a mileage count for indoor activity. I’ll clean it up for the leaderboard later today and use AG’s old Powertap pedals in the future.

I still have no idea why everything is so intent on applying a mileage count to indoor activities.
If you change the activity to "workout," does is it still count the mileage? Or you could also make it a private activity; I'm pretty certain that keeps it off of leaderboards, etc.
Old 07-17-20, 07:56 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
i'd have to know how close to tangentially the spokes exit the hub flange
42? 41?
Old 07-17-20, 07:56 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts
This morning I learned that even if I connect my Hammer to my 945 as a power meter, it still broadcasts speed as well. This generates a mileage count for indoor activity. I’ll clean it up for the leaderboard later today and use AG’s old Powertap pedals in the future.

I still have no idea why everything is so intent on applying a mileage count to indoor activities.
Agree: meaningless. The leaderboard should show CTL and ATL like this one:

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-17-20, 07:57 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
An old acquaintance of mine posted a workout on IG, saying he did 30 odd miles at 15ish MPH.

On what he referred to as a "desk bike"

I guess you need to quantify the effort somehow, but calculating distance and average speed on something that doesn't ever move?
Old 07-17-20, 08:01 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Kudos.

What saddles will you be testing?
Don't know yet. Not til August

Old 07-17-20, 08:02 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you change the activity to "workout," does is it still count the mileage? Or you could also make it a private activity; I'm pretty certain that keeps it off of leaderboards, etc.
I’ll just edit the distance to zero manually (and on Garmin, and TrainingPeaks...). I need the data accurate because I want my cycling hours and TSS accurate. I also want to know my yearly real miles. Solution is to use a PM that has no speed broadcast. Fortunately I had already installed the P1 pedals.
Old 07-17-20, 08:04 AM
WhyFi

Speaking of Strava mileage, out of curiosity, I looked at the stats from someone that's currently leading one on those big, meaningless Strava challenges (a Trek-sponsored one with goals of 100, 500, and 1000 miles over the course of the month). The leader currently has over 2.5k miles. Looking at his profile, he's done over 100 centuries and is sitting at 19k miles YTD. He's spent over 1000 hours in the saddle this year. I mean, com'on. There's committed and there's should-be-committed.
Old 07-17-20, 08:08 AM
WhyFi

I’ll just edit the distance to zero manually (and on Garmin, and TrainingPeaks...). I need the data accurate because I want my cycling hours and TSS accurate. I also want to know my yearly real miles. Solution is to use a PM that has no speed broadcast. Fortunately I had already installed the P1 pedals.
As an aside, I don't know how, but Strava does do this somehow. I've never seen where I can look it up, but I remember that late last year, I got a notification that I'd finally reached my mileage annual goal. According to my profile page mileage, I'd exceeded it almost a month previously, so there's some kind of separate tally going on. It'd be nice if they're allow you to easy parse that out, too.
Old 07-17-20, 08:08 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

An old acquaintance of mine posted a workout on IG, saying he did 30 odd miles at 15ish MPH.

On what he referred to as a "desk bike"

I guess you need to quantify the effort somehow, but calculating distance and average speed on something that doesn't ever move?
That’s what TSS is for, if you have a PM. If not, just straight duration, or hrTSS. Never distance.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-17-20, 08:09 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
What kind of fred applies a tube patch to the outside of a tire? I t won't last long out there, over all those words. I have hope for the one on the inside though. To even get that tire to 1000 100 miles would be a start
No riding for me today. Too many workers to help out. My wife's ac unit got mounted in such a way that the water drains from the wrong end, and drips down the wall, instead out through the hose.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 07-17-20 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-17-20, 08:16 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

As an aside, I don't know how, but Strava does do this somehow. I've never seen where I can look it up, but I remember that late last year, I got a notification that I'd finally reached my mileage annual goal. According to my profile page mileage, I'd exceeded it almost a month previously, so there's some kind of separate tally going on. It'd be nice if they're allow you to easy parse that out, too.
Wow, it won't let me edit distance. I just wiped the activity. I guess they're worried I could cheat my mileage up with a fake ride or something?

It's correct now on Garmin and TrainingPeaks though.
Old 07-17-20, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
A guy I know broke the flange on a Chris King front hub. He's a big guy that puts in a lot of miles on bad roads and somebody thought it would be a good idea to build him a light weight wheel - CK hub, radial lacing, aluminum nipples.

Fortunately, Chris King warrantied the hub for him. When I rebuilt the wheel, it was 2-cross with brass nipples. He's been riding it for about a year. So far, so good.
I basked in his heavenly glow during the 2012 edition of Cycle Oregon.
Old 07-17-20, 08:22 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Tonight was pretty lovely. Wife made a tomato pie and we spent a lot of time out on our balcony.

Comet NEOWISE is also quite pretty through binoculars.

Pie:

Your wife has a green thumb, nice!
Old 07-17-20, 08:25 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My future includes temps from Hades so I'll be lucky to get 150 miles, also.
You can say Hell.
Old 07-17-20, 08:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Ever pulled a spoke through a hub flange?

Would you like to?
I was following a friend down Topanga Canyon to the beach and I kept smelling burning rubber. This is a descent with high speeds and twisty turns, rock walls and, of course, cars. At the bottom he notices his front tire is rubbing on the fork, this is the source of the burning rubber smell. I can't see and don't have reading glasses with me but I try to straighten it up with my spoke wrench. I try to get another friend to look at it but everyone is in a hurry to go as always so we roar off down Pacific Coast Hwy and a few miles later my friend stops and the tire is rubbing again.

This time I see the huge crack in the hub (Hed, I think) and a spoke is puling through. He calls his wife for pick up and I feel super guilty for trying to true the wheel which was unsafe. I'm really happy he didn't crash but this was sooo dangerous and I probably should have insisted we have someone else look at it the first stop.
Old 07-17-20, 08:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by big john
I was following a friend down Topanga Canyon to the beach and I kept smelling burning rubber. This is a descent with high speeds and twisty turns, rock walls and, of course, cars. At the bottom he notices his front tire is rubbing on the fork, this is the source of the burning rubber smell. I can't see and don't have reading glasses with me but I try to straighten it up with my spoke wrench. I try to get another friend to look at it but everyone is in a hurry to go as always so we roar off down Pacific Coast Hwy and a few miles later my friend stops and the tire is rubbing again.

This time I see the huge crack in the hub (Hed, I think) and a spoke is puling through. He calls his wife for pick up and I feel super guilty for trying to true the wheel which was unsafe. I'm really happy he didn't crash but this was sooo dangerous and I probably should have insisted we have someone else look at it the first stop.
Yikes, but who's looking for a cracked hub?

I remember that road from a couple of visits to LA as a college student. Friend's brother had a house up near the top. So much sublime and ridiculous in that area.
Old 07-17-20, 08:45 AM
WhyFi

I feel like I'm way overdue for a correction; every peach that I've had this year (granted, it's less than a dozen) has been fantastic. Experience tells me that that's just not sustainable in the upper midwest.
Old 07-17-20, 08:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I feel like I'm way overdue for a correction; every peach that I've had this year (granted, it's less than a dozen) has been fantastic. Experience tells me that that's just not sustainable in the upper midwest.
Yeah, I've had great peaches too. Just regular old organic from WF, but clearly a few different cultivars.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-17-20, 08:51 AM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
pumpkin pie >tomato pie > apple pie

probably
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Fixed it for you.
You alls pie selection is much too limited

Cherry Pie>>Peach Pie>Pecan Pie>Pumpkin Pie>Tomato Pie >Apple Pie
Old 07-17-20, 08:58 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I’m good with about half a peach every few years. My sister would plow through a bag in an afternoon though.
Old 07-17-20, 08:59 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Why not just create a new fictional bike type in Strava and training peaks, etc and use ( assign ) that solely for indoor rides? That should segregate indoor and outdoor activities.

I log indoor miles, but don't really care one way or the other.
Old 07-17-20, 09:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, I've had great peaches too. Just regular old organic from WF, but clearly a few different cultivars.
We have a peach tree that gives us amazing peaches every August. But we had a major storm come through a couple weeks ago with hail bigly, so all the baby peaches got knocked out of the tree. Sad!
Old 07-17-20, 09:04 AM
WhyFi

I’m good with about half a peach every few years. My sister would plow through a bag in an afternoon though.
Good peaches are my favorite fruit. It's unfortunate that they're regularly inedible 'round these parts. Buying a bag of peaches makes for a very high risk/high reward proposition for me.
Old 07-17-20, 09:04 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
We have a peach tree that gives us amazing peaches every August. But we had a major storm come through a couple weeks ago with hail bigly, so all the baby peaches got knocked out of the tree. Sad!
Very.
Old 07-17-20, 09:06 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yikes, but who's looking for a cracked hub?

I remember that road from a couple of visits to LA as a college student. Friend's brother had a house up near the top. So much sublime and ridiculous in that area.
Some people don't have mechanical knowledge and if they put their trust in me, I feel some responsibility. You're right, though. I didn't expect that.

When we do Topanga we usually go over Old Topanga at the top because it's quieter. Here is a clip from someone with bad speedometer readings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.