Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

09 Trek 1.2 - 700x28 tires.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-31-21, 09:47 AM
opr917

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got this 09 Trek 1.2 last year. it came with 700x25 tires so I bought 700x28, they fit, but the inner width of the rim is narrow and it was difficult to mount them specially around the stem - Rims are Alexrims AT450..
What size would you recommend me to buy for a better fit ? any special brand/ model? that is not very expensive?

About me - First post - I started riding again last year after quite a long time, I fractured my spine a while ago so I cant stand 100 psi but I can 80 on the 28's. Endurance frame with a 60 degree stem to make it a bit more comfortable. Rode 500 miles in the past 6 months so Im no racer.

Last edited by opr917; 01-31-21 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 11:17 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
When you say you have difficulty mounting them around the stem what do you mean?
Old 01-31-21, 11:28 AM
opr917

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
When you say you have difficulty mounting them around the stem what do you mean?
Just that it was too tight around the stem- at the end I was able to mount the 700x28tires (with tubes), I went out for a ride around the block and they felt OK.
Should I worry that these are 13mm inner width ? I found a couple of posts in the forum that suggest 17mm - (thus the question to see if I should replace wheels).
Old 01-31-21, 11:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Might be you just need to develop your skill at putting a tire on. Tube and tirebeads do compete for space in the spoke channel when installing a tire and a valve stem in the mix does get in the way.

Some people have said that you should start at the valve stem a work the bead on from there in both directions. However I go from roughly the opposite side and work toward the valve stem. This eliminates the possibility of the valve stem keeping the bead of the tire from getting into the spoke channel or part of the rim that has the least distance from the hub and keeping the tire bead from more easily going on the rim.

I don't have to use levers when putting my tires on, so the method works well for me. And likely one of my bikes have narrower rims internally than yours.

Your rims might already be the widest internal width recommended for 28 mm tires. Which for Continental Tire is 19 mm internal width. Though like other things it's not a hard and fast limit for everyone.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-31-21 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 12:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
The tire beads should be of about the same size/volume in both 25 and 28 (and most all other tube type) tires. So the fit issues due to the narrow rim, tire beads and valve should be pretty much the same. The tire mounting issues due to the tire's bead seat diameter being slightly different (as in a mm or so) is more about that tire's manufacturing (and the rim cross sectional design). Two different aspects of tire mounting. Which was the issue for you? Also where around the rim/tire were you ending up to fit the last bit of the tire's bead over the rim's edge? Andy
Old 01-31-21, 12:49 PM
opr917

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all - If the stem was, say at the 12 position, I started and finished at around 10 going counterclockwise.
I will follow the recommendation mentioned here next time, maybe it will be easier to mount.

Last edited by opr917; 01-31-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 06:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Most experienced wrenches either start or end up at the valve location, when mounting tires. Which depends on their preferences, experiences. I have taught both to many customers and fellow club members and find that some do better with one, or the other method.

I will say that mounting the tire's bead in only one direction (like the CCW mentioned) can often end up with a valve stem cocked at an angle. This can be corrected but many times isn't. Andy
Old 01-31-21, 08:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by opr917
Thank you all - If the stem was, say at the 12 position, I started and finished at around 10 going counterclockwise.
I will follow the recommendation mentioned here next time, maybe it will be easier to mount.
I've got some tires that take 4-6 "passes" working from 6 to 12. Each pass, it gets a bit closer until BINGO.
Sometimes you just need a bit of patience.
Old 02-02-21, 07:14 AM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
I have a couple of old Mavic wheel sets with MA2 and MA40 rims. Two of the most difficult to mount due to a shallow well. I usually start opposite the stem and work both sides equally back to the stem. On other rims I can start anywhere.

What no one else mentioned and is very helpful in making room for the bead is to push the stem up into the tire cavity when you're getting close to the end. The base of the stem on the tube is thick and competes for space. Once you can pop the bead over the rim then pull the stem down again towards the spoke bed before inflating. (or just hold the tire down over it and let the pump push it into position)
Likes For IsleRide:
Old 02-02-21, 12:02 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
28mm tires should work just fine with those rims. Sometimes you just get a rim/tire combination that is more difficult than others because of tire sidewall stiffness, manufacturing tolerances, too thick rim tape or inner tube, or the inner geometry of the rim.

Sounds like you just need practice in mounting the tire. There is no reason why a 28mm tire would be any more or less difficult than a 25 or 32 mm tire, just luck of the draw. Make sure there is very little air in the tube when you begin mounting the tire, and don't do the area around the valve last - get the tire bead completely on on one side, then start the other side about 180 degrees from the valve so you have it almost half on the rim before you work it in around the valve. Also, don't put the nut on the valve stem before mounting the tire- you often need to push the valve in once the bead of the tire is mounted around the valve so the inner tube adjacent th evalve gets pulled out from under the tire bead. If you need to, put the valve stem nut on after the tire is mounted but before you try to connect your pump.