Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Re-attaching carbon seat tube section

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-23-21, 09:37 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I’m looking at a frame for sale locally where the previous owner shortened the carbon seat tube. He retained the cut section and the cut seems to be well done and square. Is there a method/product which it can be securely re-attached ?
Old 06-23-21, 09:43 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Calfee is the company to ask as they do a lot of carbon repair, but I doubt they'd be able to re-attach a severed section of straight tubing. It sounds like the frame is too small for you if you are considering this.
Old 06-23-21, 09:58 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Photos, brand, year and model of bike would be helpful. As mentioned it could probably be reliably re-attached by a good CF shop and I'm assuming it's an integrated seatpost and not round? Not cheap to get it done so get some estimates before considering buying the bike. If it is integrated and needs a proprietary seat clamp I would stay away since if the clamp were ever to break you may not be able to find another.
Old 06-23-21, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Giant TCR? If your legs are longer than the original owner and outside the range of what's left, then that isn't the bike for you.

But if the owner is giving a huge deal on the bike, then check with some of the places that do carbon fiber bike repair. Seat tube above the stays and top tube probably takes a lot of different forces. I'd not be inclined to want to repair that myself, though I might do a DIY repair of a top tube, down tube or even a stay.
Old 06-23-21, 10:48 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

It is a 2006? Wilier Imperiale with a seat post and clamp like this one.
Old 06-23-21, 11:02 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Oh, some kind of a seatpost mast... where all the adjustment is in the mast?

There are likely two ways to repair it.

Pretty.... or Functional.

I'd probably cut a wide V-Groove all around the joint. Then wrap with carbon fiber and epoxy. Then follow up with wrapping an epoxying 2" or 3" additional of the mast.

Somewhat like what you see with the construction of a bamboo frame.

Multiple layers, thicker in the middle where the joint was.

It isn't a repair I would take lightly.
Old 06-23-21, 11:12 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, some kind of a seatpost mast... where all the adjustment is in the mast?

There are likely two ways to repair it.

Pretty.... or Functional.

I'd probably cut a wide V-Groove all around the joint. Then wrap with carbon fiber and epoxy. Then follow up with wrapping an epoxying 2" or 3" additional of the mast.

Somewhat like what you see with the construction of a bamboo frame.

Multiple layers, thicker in the middle where the joint was.

It isn't a repair I would take lightly.

Would it offer any additional strength if i filled the inside of the post say about two inches above and below the cut with an epoxy resin to form an internal “block” so to speak ?
Old 06-23-21, 11:18 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Would it offer any additional strength if i filled the inside of the post say about two inches above and below the cut with an epoxy resin to form an internal “block” so to speak ?
Until a carbon fiber repair expert chimes in, this isn't really the place to go asking for assistance in mending a cut-down safety-critical component like a seatpost. The earlier advice about getting repair quotes or looking for a replacement mast is the best advice you'll get.
Old 06-23-21, 11:37 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I wouldn't fill with a solid block of resin. But that is a good point that if you have adequate access, you might be able to work from the inside (or both the inside and outside). There are carbon fiber expandable sleeves that could be used.

You'd need something that can give you pressure. Perhaps a GAADI bicycle tube, although you might be able to find CF specific pressure tubes.
Old 06-23-21, 12:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
best option is to find out if you can get a replacement and if you can figure that into what you will pay for the bike otherwise any fix is going to be a kludge, at risk of failure with resultant risk to health, and probably would not ride well

the fact that calfee will not repair seat posts should be a fair warning to anyone trying to do a repair

https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair-faq/

What we will not repair

Rejected repairs include: aluminum-to-carbon bonding, carbon handlebars, forks, seat posts/integrated seat posts, stems, damage to carbon wheels, and metal frames.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-23-21, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I wouldn't fill it solid with resin. Especially not just a small section. You might be changing the natural flexing of the tube in a way that will cause stress points and issues later. But then again maybe not. And if you filled the whole thing, then you'd be getting rid of the flex that is supposed to be giving you a more comfortable ride.

That's why you need to ask someone in the business of repairing carbon bikes. Whether you actually use them or not, they'll provide you with information from a source you should be able to trust. And maybe they'll even tell you what they'd do and you can just DIY it from there if that's your thing.
Old 06-23-21, 12:53 PM
CliffordK

Beyond Calfee, there is also Ruckus Composites in Portland Oregon that specializes in CF repairs. Perhaps others too.
Old 06-23-21, 01:06 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Beyond Calfee, there is also Ruckus Composites in Portland Oregon that specializes in CF repairs. Perhaps others too.
they don't have a similar FAQ but no mention of seat posts in their we repair it all label,

We Repair it All

Top Tubes - Head Tubes - Bottom Brackets - Seat Stays - Chainstays - Downtubes - Dropouts

Old 06-23-21, 01:28 PM
Tomm Willians

I also contacted Ritchie to see if they make a taller clamp
Old 06-23-21, 02:30 PM
Tomm Willians

Ritchie does not make a taller clamp but I just found these for conversion to a round post. I assume they would have to be glued in somehow?