Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

I'm going to complain about the weather

Notices
Northern California Northern California

I'm going to complain about the weather

Old 03-23-24, 08:41 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Back to the thread title...as I sit here watching it rain outside, and quite cold, WHY do the rain gods punish us by only raining in the gd weekends?! Now it looks like the rain may stick around for half the day tomorrow as well, and then magically clear up on Monday! Then returning next Wednesday through next weekend! I know we had a great weekend last week, and at least now after the time change, there is enough light in the evening to get something done, but it's always like this, every winter the rain cycles seemingly go weekend to weekend
Likes For cthenn:
Old 03-23-24, 03:03 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
Stop complaining. At about 12:30pm there was a break in the clouds And I headed out. Sure a few rain drops but is that any reason to stay home. Now it’s about 2pm and I will be getting home soon. Happy and refreshed from the ride. Don’t you have any rain equipment?
Old 03-23-24, 04:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
We had a break last night, just in time for the second ever Humboldt Bicyclists ride. The forecast was pretty high for rain, but like magic it cleared up. Not in time for anyone else to join me and Bruce, but we had a nice time anyway. We ended up riding through the Arcata bottoms; pretty flat, but windy and the pavement is not for the faint of heart. We rode to the end of Lanphere Rd., which ends at the world-famous Lanphere Dunes. We turned left and did a little benign trespassing along an unpaved road and got some gorgeous views across the bottoms to the hills with a nearly full moon rising. Sorry for no pics.

Today was the Volunteer Trail Stewards workday; we were at the north end of the Ridge Trail in the Arcata Community Forest doing some maintenance; trash pick up, weeding, like that; the forest trails are too soggy for much else. There were showers, but nothing bad. Afterwards we had some lunch, DIY sandwiches and goodies, and as we were finishing packing up, the REAL rain showed up. And two minutes after we got on pavement, there was a brief but where's-the-road intense downpour. Our timing was impeccable. I arrived home tired and damp, but not the drenched I had been anticipating. A large, scalding hot mug of tea warmed my insides and I get to spend the rest of the day on the couch, crocheting my hat while the rain pours.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-23-24, 06:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Stop complaining. At about 12:30pm there was a break in the clouds And I headed out. Sure a few rain drops but is that any reason to stay home. Now it’s about 2pm and I will be getting home soon. Happy and refreshed from the ride. Don’t you have any rain equipment?
I used up the rain-free interval walking the dog. Nothing more than a few drops. As soon as we got home, a squall blew through.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-23-24, 07:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I had a very similar dog experience today (the difference is we took them to the beach).
Old 03-28-24, 04:03 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Easy there Karen. The thread title is "complaining about the weather" no one is forcing you to participate in this thread. I get the feeling you just like to be heard.
Old 04-01-24, 09:20 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Lucky for me I didn't try to ride on Saturday afternoon between 5 and 7. We had the most intense thunderstorm I've experienced in California since I moved here 42 years ago! Hail the size, but not the color, of frozen peas, that blanketed the roofs of the houses, accompanied by heavy rain and lightning that struck within a mile of the house (based on delay). Our little dog got so scared she was just a ball of shivers and panting. Our Greyhound? Slept through the whole thing. Didn't even raise his head. Mr. Nonchalance.

Yesterday was so gorgeous, you'd never have known that any of it happened. A bit windy, and from unusual directions at times, but I just ripped along when I had a tail wind and ground along when it was a head wind. And tried not to be blown off the road or into traffic when it was a crosswind.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-01-24, 10:14 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Lucky for me I didn't try to ride on Saturday afternoon between 5 and 7. We had the most intense thunderstorm I've experienced in California since I moved here 42 years ago! Hail the size, but not the color, of frozen peas, that blanketed the roofs of the houses, accompanied by heavy rain and lightning that struck within a mile of the house (based on delay).
I was walking with a group of greyhound friends in San Ramon Saturday afternoon - a friend got a call from another friend in Fremont saying they were getting hail... we got nothing but a little wind... it was nice. It seems like the storm was confined to a pretty small region.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 04-01-24, 10:15 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Lucky for me I didn't try to ride on Saturday afternoon between 5 and 7. We had the most intense thunderstorm I've experienced in California since I moved here 42 years ago! Hail the size, but not the color, of frozen peas, that blanketed the roofs of the houses, accompanied by heavy rain and lightning that struck within a mile of the house (based on delay). Our little dog got so scared she was just a ball of shivers and panting. Our Greyhound? Slept through the whole thing. Didn't even raise his head. Mr. Nonchalance.

Yesterday was so gorgeous, you'd never have known that any of it happened. A bit windy, and from unusual directions at times, but I just ripped along when I had a tail wind and ground along when it was a head wind. And tried not to be blown off the road or into traffic when it was a crosswind.
Yeah that was a totally weird afternoon/evening. I was tracking my daughter's flight from Hong Kong into SFO and her plane was trying to thread the needle through the non-moving cells. lol
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/75643561@N00/, on Flickr

Last edited by 2cam16; 04-01-24 at 10:18 AM. Reason: weird double photo
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-02-24, 01:43 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

We had sunny skies and spring winds on Sunday. Yesterday was sunny and warm, no clouds, with a very light breeze. That, of course, is when I had Stuff To Do, none of it involving bikes. Today is looking marine layer-y and cool. At least it's not raining.
Old 04-05-24, 02:10 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 165 Posts
Does it get any weirder, this far into April? Sheesh.

Drove Highway 160 through the Delta yesterday and had to pull over when the hail got so hard it covered the road and I could barely see. Guess January was not done with us quite yet.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 04-05-24, 06:57 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
Some white patches on Mt Diablo today too. I think they were mostly hail. Didn’t see a good view for a photo. Minor kids on bikes jam in the trail. We all got through it with some laughs from kids and moms and me.
Old 04-08-24, 12:07 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Clear today for our eclipse-lite.
FWIW here, the max is @ 11:15, so soon. Sun does show a noticeable bite taken, but my eyes detect no dimming of daylight.
Old 04-08-24, 02:41 PM
Rick_D

Our maximum. If only we were a leeetle bit to the east.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 04-09-24, 10:20 AM
cthenn

Just sayin'
Likes For cthenn:
Old 04-09-24, 11:30 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
It's a rollercoaster ride this week. lol
Old 04-09-24, 01:04 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

After a weirdly warm, wet, winter we've been getting winter-ish temps, with lows in the 30s and 40s, and highs in the low 50s. At one point the snow level dropped to 1500'. Go figure.
Old 04-12-24, 04:16 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 72 Posts
That minor weekend rain has turned into an inch and a half between tonight and tomorrow evening. To top that off, the Levi's Gran Fondo is tomorrow. The bulk of the rain is supposed to drop before the sun comes up but it'll still be a damp ride. I'm doing the metric century but the elite and pro's doing the Growler (138 miles with 13,000 feet of climb) are going to have a rough ride. I already feel bad for the mechanics who will have to service those bikes afterwards. Taking my commuter with fenders so at least I won't get road spray all over me.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 04-12-24, 04:28 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Pantah
To top that off, the Levi's Gran Fondo is tomorrow.
I heard a traffic report that said a lot of people were going to Santa Rosa for a big bike race - and I thought WHA???
Then I thought maybe they meant motorcycles at Sears Point.
Hard to believe some Gran Fondo guys driving in today are going to clog traffic.
Good legs and don't forget to pack extra chamois cream for wet rides.
Old 04-12-24, 05:18 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I heard a traffic report that said a lot of people were going to Santa Rosa for a big bike race - and I thought WHA???
Then I thought maybe they meant motorcycles at Sears Point.
Hard to believe some Gran Fondo guys driving in today are going to clog traffic.
Good legs and don't forget to pack extra chamois cream for wet rides.
Yeah, the longest route, the Growler, is an actual race with prize money and everything. Some serious competition is showing up for that. The front runners will be finishing with an average speed of 17+mph. A bit nuts considering the ridiculous amount of elevation gain.
All the rest of the routes are just supported rides. Everything from a full century and them some down to a 10 mile flat family route. Big festival afterwards too.

Packet pickup is today until 8pm so most people will try to get it out of the way today, downtown Windsor will be a zoo tomorrow.