Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Trying to choose between a Cambium C17 or C19

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 09-14-16, 03:54 PM
plumsmooth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am currently modifying my gravel bike to raise the handlebars possibly 3-4 inches above my seat height.
This is because of numb hands, which happen with too much weight leaning on my hands, possibly compressing carpal tunnel area maybe?

I think my sit bones are possibly wide enough to justify the extra inch width of the C19, especially sitting as upright as 3-4 inches higher than seat handle bars...I think this constitutes upright riding posture?

Also because brooks cambium (and others) seats are rounded, I believe that the usual possible measurement methods may not apply -- as much?

Anyway my sit bones measure about 135 center to center; and I noticed that the outside edge of my sit bones measure about 7.25: Which is the exact width of the Brooks Cambium C19.

I currently have a gel seat that is about 8.5 inches wide on the bike but it is so squishy feeling that I can not really tell anything but that the Rocket 130mm that cam with the bike is certainly too narrow for me...

Probably the smartest thing would be to get to my final riding handle bar height and see how the seat I have now feels...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1240.jpg (92.3 KB, 346 views)
Old 09-14-16, 04:32 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
My first ride today with a C17, about 20m. I'm 6ft, 200lb, and very comfortable on a B17 or B17 narrow for distance riding. I tend to go with narrower saddles like SMP or vintage Iscaselles on faster road bikes.

For faster rides, using the drops from time to time, I can't see going any bigger than the C17. If you ride more upright and want the bigger sitz bone area that's fine, but the C17 is plenty big. In fact, I would be happier if the nose were a tad thinner, in some respects it feels like a big B17. It feels like more actual saddle to rider contact than a B17 to me.

I like the level saddle position, the friction of the fabric, and it has surprising shock absorption. The nose doesn't poke you in the drops like the B17s, and it has a number of riding positions you can maintain, unlike SMPs. The negatives are it's heavy, and a bit too wide in the nose area. There is no padding, but I consider that a positive, the rubber in the construction does what it's supposed to.

Overall, I'm liking it so far.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 09-14-16 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 07:42 PM
NickFit0036

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you post a photo of your sitting on the bicycle from a side view? I see that your saddle height is pretty low into the frame. I am thinking that your effective top tube length is too long for your reach and you have to raise the bars a lot to compensate for that. If you can't post a photo, maybe you can just tell us your height, inseam, and the size of the bike. I know your question is about changing the saddle, but the cause of your numb hands seems concerning as well. Thanks.

Nick Zema
Bought A Bike Online? I Come To You Build & Fit It. Road Mountain Tri
Old 09-14-16, 08:04 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Nashbar has both the B and C 17's in stock and a very customer friendly return policy if you want to give one of those the try first.
Old 09-15-16, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I see Drop bars , not pull back upright townie bars , so I suppose the 17 is what they intend for bikes like that .

19 more for sitting straight Upright.
Old 09-16-16, 02:22 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I suspect the C19 would be overkill here, but only your butt can make that decision.

Nick makes a point: Based on your description of the problem(s), suspicion is high that you have other fit issues and that a saddle swap may not address the real issue(s). If at all possible, post up some pics and you may get some valuable advice.

-Kedosto
Old 09-18-16, 07:09 PM
plumsmooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the late reply -- auto notification must have been Off..

I'll get some pictures up but I am 6 ft with a long torso and short 30 inch pant leg inseam...
A 58 was recommended over a 55cm...

I think this is correct especially considering I am now going for a more upright fit...

A shorter top tube I would believe would make my riding angle even more downward toward the handle bars?

My sit bones measure 135 center to center and the outside edges are 185cm sitting fairly upright...

That is the width of the C19...

P.S. The most important thing at the moment is to raise the handle-bars until my hands do not go numb from compression on my carpal tunnel or whatever is causing the nerve situation...

Last edited by plumsmooth; 09-18-16 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 07:31 AM
plumsmooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C19 Saddle on my bike.

Here she is new C19. Was clearly the right choice for me and my 135 sit bones sitting upright style.
I have got my handlebars all the way up to 60 degrees on adjustable stem.
Handlebars look 1-2 inches higher than seat but would probably be even if I had riding shoes.

Issue is now to get into optimum seat comfort position I have to push my but back.
It tends to want to come up too far on to part of saddle that is less comfortable.

I think two things are going on now.
1: My seats fore and aft might need adjustment forward.
2: Now that I have raised my handle bars the hoods feel a little more stretched out for my liking and the flats almost feel like I want to be closer as well.
3. Although I have my seat level to a slight tilt maybe I should tilt it up a little more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1272.jpg (93.0 KB, 330 views)
Old 10-11-16, 07:21 PM
Damn_it

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Diverge Carbon, Spec Rockhopper, Schwinn Twinn Deluxe.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plumsmooth
Here she is new C19. Was clearly the right choice for me and my 135 sit bones sitting upright style.
I have got my handlebars all the way up to 60 degrees on adjustable stem.
Handlebars look 1-2 inches higher than seat but would probably be even if I had riding shoes.

Issue is now to get into optimum seat comfort position I have to push my but back.
It tends to want to come up too far on to part of saddle that is less comfortable.

I think two things are going on now.
1: My seats fore and aft might need adjustment forward.
2: Now that I have raised my handle bars the hoods feel a little more stretched out for my liking and the flats almost feel like I want to be closer as well.
3. Although I have my seat level to a slight tilt maybe I should tilt it up a little more?
I'm concerned about your cables and housing up front! With that adjustable riser stem installed, it looks like it's made the housing pretty a pretty tight reach to allow for the bar to turn as far around as it needs to. Stem looks higher in second photo?

...Just saying... I could be seeing crap too.

Last edited by Damn_it; 10-11-16 at 07:30 PM.