Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Nose: Open or Closed?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-24-06, 08:42 AM
Thomill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey gang,

I was helping a friend get some school sports supplies for his children yesterday. His daughter will be taking swimming, so therefore needed some nose plugs, while his son will be playing baseball, and - interestingly - had nasal dilator strips (!) on his recommended (but thankfully not required) list of accessories. The plugs I can understand, having swam myself as a teenager, but the nasal strips? Hmmm.... well, in any event, this got me to thinking.

I know the limited data on nasal dilator strips (Breath-Right, etc.) has been equivocal if not negative. Indeed, if one were to wear them while winter cycling, I would think that not only would these be of little benefit from an air-intake perspective, but also that drainage would probably be worse. So, with that in mind, for those of us who are mostly mouth breathers, I wonder if some simple nose plugs such as those for swimming or kayaking would be of benefit in decreasing the troublesome problem of drainage in cold weather. I will be picking up a set for myself when I get a chance to experiment with - only a two dollar investment or so - but has anyone tried this before?

Thanks.
T
Old 01-24-06, 08:50 AM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thomill
Hey gang,

I was helping a friend get some school sports supplies for his children yesterday. His daughter will be taking swimming, so therefore needed some nose plugs, while his son will be playing baseball, and - interestingly - had nasal dilator strips (!) on his recommended (but thankfully not required) list of accessories. The plugs I can understand, having swam myself as a teenager, but the nasal strips? Hmmm.... well, in any event, this got me to thinking.

I know the limited data on nasal dilator strips (Breath-Right, etc.) has been equivocal if not negative. Indeed, if one were to wear them while winter cycling, I would think that not only would these be of little benefit from an air-intake perspective, but also that drainage would probably be worse. So, with that in mind, for those of us who are mostly mouth breathers, I wonder if some simple nose plugs such as those for swimming or kayaking would be of benefit in decreasing the troublesome problem of drainage in cold weather. I will be picking up a set for myself when I get a chance to experiment with - only a two dollar investment or so - but has anyone tried this before?

Thanks.
T
I don't have a clue what you are talking about. But good luck anyway.
Old 01-24-06, 01:21 PM
pakole

Bikes: 1980s 15 speed road bike, and 21 speed, Iron Horse Outlaw mountain bike and 24 speed Felt F90 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One problem is that eventhrough you are a "mouth-breather" Some of your intake and exhaust goes through your nose. I do not know how badly a restriction to your nasal cavity would affect your breathing, so I would advise against for land activites.
Old 01-24-06, 01:23 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plugging your nose while riding....... sounds insane.
Old 01-24-06, 03:59 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely wouldn't work for me. I need all that air. I'm a drippy mouth breather too.