Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Connecting Apple Watch for Heart Rate Monitor with Wahoo Computer or Strava

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Connecting Apple Watch for Heart Rate Monitor with Wahoo Computer or Strava

Old 04-07-20, 08:59 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Connecting Apple Watch for Heart Rate Monitor with Wahoo Computer & Strava

Hi all,

I am trying to get HR stats uploaded to my Wahoo Elemnt BOLT computer / Elemnt phone app & Strava using my Apple Watch instead of buying the Wahoo HR monitor. I've seen/read several threads about that, several posts on the Strava community forum and in other places on internet, but it seems impossible. I've found a way do it manually using www.gotoes.org, but I'm not motivated enough to do this every time.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I mean, I already have a good bike computer & an apple watch and the last thing I want is to buy another damn product. It would be nice for my watch to directly send the HR info to either my bike computer or to Strava.

Right now, my bicycle's speed & cadence sensors are connected to my Elemnt Bolt computer that feeds the ELEMNT phone app & Strava. It's clean and effective.
Old 04-07-20, 01:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin watches are able to broadcast HR measured at the wrist over the air. Apple doesn't have a feature like that? Maybe possible to code one up, or does the walled garden prevent that?
Old 04-07-20, 02:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
The Strava app is supposed to work with apple watches. You mentioned Stava, so I assume you use their smartphone app. Fire off an email to their support people. If they don't get back with you soon, then check out Ride with GPS. https://ridewithgps.com/help/mobile/

I had a question about something the other day and with in the hour, they answered my email. In fact, I think the other two times I ask them something in the last ten years RWGPS responded with in an hour.
Old 04-07-20, 05:46 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
I use my Apple watch whenever I drive to a ride and I forget my bike computer or the computer is having fits or whatever. I also use it for walks/runs.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...pple-Watch-App

Old 04-11-20, 12:11 AM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The OP wants the Strava App on the watch to read HR, along with speed and cadence sensors. From what I read, that’s not possible as Apple Watch does not pair with sensors. iPhone does pair with sensors. However, since the Apple Watch does not broadcast heart rate (like many of the Garmin watches), the iPhone won’t pair with HR from the Apple Watch. Bottom line, at present Apple Watch does not allow the Wahoo Bolt or any device to record heart rate along with cadence and speed sensor data.
Likes For sierrabob:
Old 04-11-20, 10:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by sierrabob
The OP wants the Strava App on the watch to read HR, along with speed and cadence sensors. From what I read, that’s not possible as Apple Watch does not pair with sensors. iPhone does pair with sensors. However, since the Apple Watch does not broadcast heart rate (like many of the Garmin watches), the iPhone won’t pair with HR from the Apple Watch. Bottom line, at present Apple Watch does not allow the Wahoo Bolt or any device to record heart rate along with cadence and speed sensor data.
The Apple Watch will pair with select sensors. I have paired mine with a HRM strap on occasion. I believe it will also pair with certain pieces of gym equipment. The heart of the matter is that it will not broadcast as if it’s a HRM itself (which I suspect is partly a privacy concern by Apple). Some Garmin watches will do that and I think maybe some from Polar.
Old 04-11-20, 08:10 PM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think this will work. Apple watch won't broadcast HR data to the Wahoo unit like a HR strap will.

To get the data into Strava with HR you'd need to be running the Strava app on the watch but it won't show on the bike computer. You'll wind up with two activities sync'd to Strava, then you go in and delete the non HR one. The only problem with this approach is if you have cadence/speed/power metrics running to the Wahoo as those probably won't pair with the Apple Watch. However I can't imagine there's any chance you don't have a HR strap but do have power meter.

JohnJ80- Polar doesn't broadcast HR, well not in any way you can get it to the Wahoo. The Polar Ignite "has" HR broadcast but it only works with Polar Club so its basically a gym/fitness class type of scenario.

Last edited by Laseranimal; 04-12-20 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-11-20, 11:12 PM
sierrabob

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At this point in time, I think you’d be hard pressed to use the Apple Watch as a true fitness tracker. You can use an old Garmin Forerunner 735 watch to record power, cadence, speed, and heart rate. HR can be recorded from the sensor on the watch or from a strap. If you wish you can also broadcast the HR signal from the Garmin 735 to ANT+ compatible devices. Can’t do that with Apple Watch. I’m sure Apple knows that there are other more capable fitness watches out there. But their target audience is more mainstream than us Strava (or Garmin Connect/Polar Flow) obsessed athletes.
Old 05-14-20, 10:50 PM
felipernb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking for a solution to this problem for a long time and no luck. The Apple ecosystem is very closed, but I believe that if Wahoo wanted, they could work around it by doing as Zwift does with Zwift Companion.And that would mean having an Apple Watch version of the Elemnt App just to get the heart rate and send it to the phone, but I guess that could cannibalize their Tickr product and they may not be super interested in that...
Old 06-30-20, 11:21 AM
MonkeyMeat89

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi at all

I found a solution.

you can use the app ,,BlueHeart’’.
It will Broadcast your heart rate via Bluetooth.

works perfectly for me.

greetings from Germany
Old 07-01-20, 11:23 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
For my case with cycle meter, if another watch app came into focus, HR to cycle meter failed.

I spent the $55 to get the wahoo strap. 100% solid.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 08-20-20, 05:26 AM
sobberz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MonkeyMeat89
I found a solution.

you can use the app ,,BlueHeart’’.
It will Broadcast your heart rate via Bluetooth.

works perfectly for me.

greetings from Germany
This worked for me! You have to install BlueHeart on your Apple Watch and your iPhone and then my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt picks up my Apple Watch as a heart rate sensor.

Thank you!
Old 08-20-20, 06:32 AM
joebiker1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I try this, it connects, but then I see a dash in the HR field. Any idea why?
Old 08-20-20, 09:04 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
FWIW, there's another app similar to Blueheart called Heartcast.
Old 08-23-20, 08:13 AM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
It's funny how complicated this is, I had no luck with those "broadcast HR" apps on my watch.

What I did have luck with was completely stop using Strava app on my watch and instead use Cyclemeter app. It has a watch app so it can get HR data and collect it. Once I'm done with my ride in Cyclemeter it automatically sends it to Strava. This might not help the OP because he has a BOLT, but if you use your phone as your cycling computer this has worked well for me. Why not use Strava? Cyclemeter can also pair to power meters, Strava app cannot.
Old 08-24-20, 09:54 AM
sobberz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joebiker1
When I try this, it connects, but then I see a dash in the HR field. Any idea why?
You might need to reset Bluetooth in the app settings. It did this with me and also seemed to drop out a couple of times on my second ride using it but,, it quickly found my bpm again by itself while riding and shows no bpm dropouts on Strava.
Old 08-24-20, 05:27 PM
joebiker1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, I’ll try that, thanks!
Old 03-12-21, 06:00 AM
quirky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I can confirm that Apple watch does not support creating Bluetooth peripherals. There’s no problem connecting sensors, but you can’t get it to transmit data like a heart rate monitor would. I don’t know what the reason is, but I suspect it might be due to power consumption. Anyway, this restriction doesn’t apply to iphone apps, which is why you have apps that first transmit the HR data to the phone before being retransmitted as a peripheral that you can connect your head unit to.

I recommend you check out the Navigr8 pro app. It has this feature, but is also a fully fledged cycling computer. I actually ride with just Navigr8 running on my watch. I can easily connect my speed and cadence sensors and power meter to it and get my heart rate from the watch. No need for anything else😁
Old 03-12-21, 06:20 AM
sobberz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quirky
Hi,

I can confirm that Apple watch does not support creating Bluetooth peripherals. There’s no problem connecting sensors, but you can’t get it to transmit data like a heart rate monitor would. I don’t know what the reason is, but I suspect it might be due to power consumption. Anyway, this restriction doesn’t apply to iphone apps, which is why you have apps that first transmit the HR data to the phone before being retransmitted as a peripheral that you can connect your head unit to.

I recommend you check out the Navigr8 pro app. It has this feature, but is also a fully fledged cycling computer. I actually ride with just Navigr8 running on my watch. I can easily connect my speed and cadence sensors and power meter to it and get my heart rate from the watch. No need for anything else😁
can it push your heart rate data to a bike computer though?
Old 03-12-21, 01:24 PM
quirky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sobberz
Yes it can, but only via the companion app on the phone. This is the only feature that depends on the phone app. Everything else runs standalone on the watch.
Old 03-12-21, 01:34 PM
sobberz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you
Old 03-12-21, 02:15 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Garmin watches are able to broadcast HR measured at the wrist over the air. Apple doesn't have a feature like that? Maybe possible to code one up, or does the walled garden prevent that?
only a few will do it over bluetooth though.
Old 03-12-21, 02:16 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by sobberz
nope I wish it could I have to wear something else to get hy HR to my garmin. either another garmin watch or I use a wahoo arm HRM thats the easiest method.
Old 03-12-21, 05:34 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I’ve never been able to make Blueheart work reliably. However, North Pole Engineering makes a dongle called Heartbeatz that works flawlessly. You pair the dongle to your bike computer as a HRM, you connect it to your Apple Watch with their app, and it works absolutely flawlessly.

https://npe-inc.com/heartbeatz/
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 03-15-21, 10:25 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I’ve never been able to make Blueheart work reliably. However, North Pole Engineering makes a dongle called Heartbeatz that works flawlessly. You pair the dongle to your bike computer as a HRM, you connect it to your Apple Watch with their app, and it works absolutely flawlessly.

https://npe-inc.com/heartbeatz/
Having read the OP's post and all the replies, this seems to be the best solution that I've read. I have used a strap based HRM for the last 10 years but would go this route if I wanted to use my Apple Watch as an HRM. However, I'm not too keen on using my watch as I really don't want to mess up the glass on a fall or crash. I'm wondering, though, does this require that the phone be in BTLE range for this to work? Nothing I saw on their website and video confirmed or denied that the phone must be present.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.