Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

SON y junction box grounding question

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 11-23-21, 01:20 AM
andreracicot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Son edlux II (k607) front light

b+m Line small plus rear tail light

SON delux (k687) hub

Bought the y junction and just getting ready to wire this up.

Im going to cut the 2.8m male spades off the rear light and solder the rear light twin leads to a run of (bm) coax up to the front where it will plug into the y junction box.

My question is: Does this return leg need to be grounded to the frame (its steel) or to the front light mount/brake mount?

Or is the circuit grounded at the front hub through the return leg?
Old 11-23-21, 10:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Have you looked at the Peter White website for wiring information?

I do not understand what you are trying to do with a Y connector, taillights should be wired to the headlight so that the headlight switch and over-voltage protection is also used to control and protect the taillight.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-23-21, 12:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
The y box includes both power and ground through the coax cable connectors. So no other connections need to be made. Obviously, you are going to have to wire the coax up to both the power and ground inputs of the taillight. If the taillight has a grounded mount, you may want to disconnect that. Probably won't cause any problems though, but I know people that do it.
Old 11-23-21, 02:05 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
In the past using frame as a ground connection served to eliminate one wire. It was accomplished by connecting one terminal of a device to any metal frame. However, this was notoriously unreliable. It still lingers at low end, but current higher end practice is to run two wires to every device, for the reliability. Nether of SON terminals is normally connected to any metal touching the frame, but there may be a connection there for some BM rear lamps. The best practice is to avoid any connection to the frame when possible. If only one device is wired to the frame, there should be no problem. If two or more are wired, it is best to check the connections with a meter as a miswiring can yield problems.