Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hunt Aero Wide Wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hunt Aero Wide Wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 01:50 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Meh, I once built a pair of 1400g wheels to replace the 2000g wheels that came on the bike (390g vs 510g each rim). Even then, I didn't really "notice" anything. I still like to think I got some gains, but nothing made me go "Wow! I can feel the extra speed!"
I "notice" a significant difference in how my bike handles and feels when swapping between 1500g carbon wheels and stock 2000g alloy wheels. The lighter wheels feel much more lively, responsive, quick. I love that feeling.

A flat road at a steady pace feels the same on both. Everything else? Definitely a difference. Also they look cool and make a pleasant thrum, and you can't put a price on that.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-21-22, 02:52 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Also they look cool and make a pleasant thrum, and you can't put a price on that.
Amen! Exactly what I am hoping for when I ordered the wheels pictured above.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-21-22, 04:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Cue up the arguments about the fallacy of rotational weight differences, inertia etc... Ready? Go!!
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-21-22, 04:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm surprised so many people claim you will "notice" 200g. If so, ditch your phone for another 200g!
Now I have to buy light wheels if I want to have my phone with me?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-21-22, 05:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Now I have to buy light wheels if I want to have my phone with me?
Larry would suggest lighter wheels (preferably tubular Spinergys) AND leaving the phone behind... while you ride on the sidewalk... oh, and that shirts are about 200g too.

Last edited by urbanknight; 04-21-22 at 06:01 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 04-21-22, 07:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Meh, I once built a pair of 1400g wheels to replace the 2000g wheels that came on the bike (390g vs 510g each rim). Even then, I didn't really "notice" anything. I still like to think I got some gains, but nothing made me go "Wow! I can feel the extra speed!"
Physics tell us that lighter wheels are easier to accelerate (and decelerate), but generally have little effect on ultimate steady-state speed.

Another nice aspect with newer wheels is that they are generally wider, so you can have more tire volume even with the same tire, which provide better cushioning and maybe even a marginal reduction in rolling resistance.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-21-22, 08:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Lighter wheels accelerate faster, which can be noticable. Unless you're riding up steep hills and nothing else it won't make much difference in terms of overall speed. It depends what you value and why you're riding the bike. If it's for fun and pleasure, pushing down on the pedal and feeling the bike move more immediately is satisfying.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-21-22, 09:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Larry would suggest lighter wheels (preferably tubular Spinergys) AND leaving the phone behind... while you ride on the sidewalk... oh, and that shirts are about 200g too.
That is what Larry would suggest for you and me. For himself, the low aero position he achieves with a U-shaped copper pipe "aerobar" zip-tied to a flat handlebar reduces the need for lightweight wheels.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-22-22, 04:05 AM
7tbikewheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If wheels weight is important, try the front light version, rear stronger version carbon fiber.
Old 04-25-22, 11:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Physics tell us that lighter wheels are easier to accelerate (and decelerate), but generally have little effect on ultimate steady-state speed.

Another nice aspect with newer wheels is that they are generally wider, so you can have more tire volume even with the same tire, which provide better cushioning and maybe even a marginal reduction in rolling resistance.
As you say the physics is clear enough, but people tend to over-state the difference it actually makes.

I'm totally with you on the wider internal width. That really does make a significant difference. I just went from 17-22 mm internal width rims and the latter are much more comfortable and 30 mm wide tyres feel more stable in cornering when mounted on a wider rim.
Old 04-25-22, 01:18 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
A guy on my group ride this past weekend had a pair of these Hunt Aero Wide 34s. I can confirm that the rear hub is quite loud. They sounded pretty sweet to me, but I know this drives some people nuts.
Old 04-25-22, 04:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
As you say the physics is clear enough, but people tend to over-state the difference it actually makes.

I'm totally with you on the wider internal width. That really does make a significant difference. I just went from 17-22 mm internal width rims and the latter are much more comfortable and 30 mm wide tyres feel more stable in cornering when mounted on a wider rim.
Just curious, but you rode with the same tires on the 22mm rim as you were using on the 17mm rim, or you changed both at the same time?
Old 04-25-22, 04:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by PeteHski

The same 25 mm tires are noticeably wider going from 17C alloy wheels to 19C carbon fiber wheels; I also looked at a newer 21C model by FFWD but was concerned whether those would fit within my brake calipers.
Old 04-26-22, 12:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just curious, but you rode with the same tires on the 22mm rim as you were using on the 17mm rim, or you changed both at the same time?
Not actually the exact same tyres, but very similar type. I was using 30mm Pirelli PZero Race TLR on 17 mm rims (Giant SLR1) and 30 mm Conti GP5000S TR on 22 mm rims (DT Swiss ERC 1400). The wider rims match the wider tyre profile much better. 30 mm tyres have a distinct "light-bulb" profile when mounted on 17 mm rims and feel a bit less stable in cornering. Some of the difference in feel could be down to the tyres, but I think the effect of the wider rims is prety obvious in this case. The tyre sidewall has so much more support on the the 22 mm rims. That alone would be worth a wheel upgrade for me if planning to run modern wide road tyres.
Old 04-26-22, 02:51 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Yeah I have a 23mm rim and a 17mm rim. A 25mm corsa feels significantly different between them. Not necessarily better or worse. I think the tire feels a bit more playful on the narrow rim. I also feel like I can lean a bit deeper.
Old 04-28-22, 06:54 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have (claimed) 1700g Mavic Ksyrium Equipes on my old Bianchi, and 1920g (claimed) Vision Team 30s on my Lynskey. Both bikes come in at just under 21 lbs overall (with cages and pedals). The Bianchi is rim brake and steel, the Lynskey is disc and Ti.

I definitely feel the ~200g difference accelerating from a stop. The Bianchi feels more lively and eager to get up to speed. However, once at speed, the Lynskey feels like it cruises with a little less effort - don’t know if it’s the slightly better aero, the heavier rotating mass acting like a bigger flywheel, or both, but that’s the general impression. It may even be the difference in tires - older Victoria Rubinos vs newer Continentals.

I’m considering getting carbon wheels for the Lynskey, but more for that feel in acceleration and ‘flickability,’ rather than thinking it will make a meaningful difference in my speed. As a poster said above - it’s a lot of money for probably not a lot of gain in performance, but if it’s fun and enjoyment you’re after, then it’s probably worth it.
Old 04-28-22, 04:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

So the obvious answer is to get a light wheel (drive wheel) for the back and a heavy wheel for the front (to increase your flywheel effect).
Old 04-28-22, 04:22 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So the obvious answer is to get a light wheel (drive wheel) for the back and a heavy wheel for the front (to increase your flywheel effect).
Perfect solution!

Actually, I'll deal with less flywheel effect if it means more liveliness in acceleration. And who knows, if it's the aero that's causing the effect rather than the 500-100g extra weight on each rim, then a 45mm rim should help, even if it's carbon.