Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Garmin 510 - which external battery pack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 02:00 AM
Flounce

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin 510 - which external battery pack?

hi

I'm planning for a 400km brevet, and hopefully a 600km several weeks after that.

I will need an external battery pack for my garmin 510.

What should I get?

I found this Garmin model # on amazon: 010-10644-02

Are there other brands/models you would recommend over the official Garmin external battery pack?

Thanks
Old 02-09-17, 08:30 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Any external battery pack will work. Just plug it in at the controls. I prefer the etrex20 for randonneuring so I don't have that problem.
Old 02-09-17, 11:16 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I've used a Go Puck ( https://gopuck.com/products/3x )in my limited time in randonneuring and it worked well. It's also available in a 6x model (twice what I have). I would qualify this by saying 360 km is the farthest I have gone and I did not use the trip planning function of my Garmin edge touring plus. I had plenty of batter left in the Go Puck however. As I look to go further, I may have to tweek this of course. Dyno, upgrade of the Go Puck or even a regular battery powered charging source where replacement batteries purchased along the way, are possibilities. I think it makes a difference where you are going and the services available. If you are able to plug in at controls, post offices, food stops etc., it obviously helps.
Old 02-14-17, 09:23 AM
Flounce

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just some follow up.

After looking at my options, I decided to get the gomadic device that accepts 4 AA batteries and charges your garmin. There is a small weight penalty compared to a standard external battery pack, but the ability to buy AA batteries at a convenience or gas station trumps the small weight penalty.

My handlebar mounted Garmin allows me to plug in a device while riding, and I"ve read that it is far more efficient to start the ride with the battery plugged in (and run off the battery while preserving the charge on the garmin internal batery) rather than recharging the Garmin after it has run low.

That is what I'll be experimenting with.

thanks all.
Old 02-15-17, 06:10 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounce
Just some follow up.

After looking at my options, I decided to get the gomadic device that accepts 4 AA batteries and charges your garmin. There is a small weight penalty compared to a standard external battery pack, but the ability to buy AA batteries at a convenience or gas station trumps the small weight penalty.

My handlebar mounted Garmin allows me to plug in a device while riding, and I"ve read that it is far more efficient to start the ride with the battery plugged in (and run off the battery while preserving the charge on the garmin internal batery) rather than recharging the Garmin after it has run low.

That is what I'll be experimenting with.

thanks all.
Let us know how it works for you. Good luck!!
Old 02-21-17, 03:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
The latest word on lithium batteries is that they don't need to be discharged to be used well and in fact prefer not to be. So I think it's a good plan to start out with the external battery connected. I don't know if it's more power efficient this way, but it's likely to be good for the long-term life of the Garmin's lithium battery.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-22-17, 01:35 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounce
and I"ve read that it is far more efficient to start the ride with the battery plugged in (and run off the battery while preserving the charge on the Garmin internal battery) rather than recharging the Garmin after it has run low.
From an efficiency point of view, that is true. When you start with both batteries (internal and external) fully charged, first running off the external battery and keeping the internal battery fully charged depletes the external battery less than first running down the internal battery and then recharging it off the external battery. The latter case will discharge the external battery more because each charge and discharge cycle has voltage conversion losses. Running off the external pack minimizes them.

Having said that, you should never keep Li ion batteries 100% charged for long periods of time. The healthiest charge state for long term storage is around 50%.

Not being able to charge the precursor, the Garmin 500 with a regular USB cable while recording was a major handicap. There was really no excuse for that. I'm glad the 510 seems to work much better in that regard.
Old 02-22-17, 01:40 PM
Flamme Rouge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using an Anker PowerCore external battery with my 820 ($15 on Amazon). It fits in small bag that sits on my top tube. I start with the charger connected as noted above. Haven't figured out what to do when raining, however.
Old 02-23-17, 12:07 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamme Rouge
I've been using an Anker PowerCore external battery with my 820 ($15 on Amazon). It fits in small bag that sits on my top tube. I start with the charger connected as noted above. Haven't figured out what to do when raining, however.
I unplug mine in the rain. OTOH I don't intentionally ride long distances in the rain anymore. My 800 will run ~10 hours on its internal which stays full while it's connected to the external battery. If there's going to be more continuous rain than that, I'm either staying home or getting off the course somehow. Of course I'll always have my wired odometer and a printed cue sheet in a waterproof holder, so theoretically I could fall back on that. I was never fond of trying to read a cue sheet in the dark and rain even before my eyes got bad.