Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Taking a strong look at recumbent trikes

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 09:53 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A whiplash injury over 3 years ago just will not quit. Last week I rode two hilly 60 mile rides on my Fuji Transonic. The pain just became too much. I decided to get off my DF bike. I am having a MRI tomorrow on my neck and left shoulder, but I know the results will be that old age and the injury are too much for my neck to ride a bike.

After a bike crash a couple years ago I purchased a used 2012 Scorpion FX with all 20" wheels. It is a touring bike mostly. I rode it a couple months and put it in storage as I got back on my DF. The Scorpion is back out and I have ridden it a few times. Actually, a lot of fun, and my neck does not hurt at all after a ride. Nice.

However, it is slow when compared to what I have been riding. This year I had a number of organized rides where I averaged over 20 MPH for a full metric century. I can barely get this trike to 20 MPH in the best of conditions on a flat and the hills are very slow. I expected the hills to be slow. I have read about a Catrike 700 and an ICE, but I have not seen one in action or been on either one. Are these the speed trikes or is it just advertising?
Old 10-27-17, 07:49 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm betting that you'll get a little faster as you acclimate to the recumbent riding position. Maybe not quite as fast as you used to ride. On the other hand, it sounds to me like you are going to have to wrap your head around not riding as fast as you used to anyway.

Just like DF bikes, a lighter, more aero trike will definitely be faster but it's still the motor that matters most.
Old 10-27-17, 11:21 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The strong point of trikes is that they can go slow without falling over. Trikes in general are slower than 2-wheelers. You do know there are 2-wheeled recumbents, right??? Anyway, the Scorpion fails to hit several of my checkpoints for speed capability, especially the rear wheel size/gearing and the rider position. The suspension doesn't help either. The Catrike 700 can be souped up a bit and made faster than the Scorp; but it'll still be a trike.
Old 10-27-17, 11:45 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
An accomplished trike rider can reach the speeds you want but I doubt you could maintain it for miles at a clip. I own a Catrike 700 which replaced a Greenspeed GTO when it had many thousands of miles on it. I am not faster on the Catrike 700. I learned a long time ago that my trikes were not the solution to group rides with riders on 20 pound (or less) road bikes.
Old 10-27-17, 04:03 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
An accomplished trike rider can reach the speeds you want but I doubt you could maintain it for miles at a clip. I own a Catrike 700 which replaced a Greenspeed GTO when it had many thousands of miles on it. I am not faster on the Catrike 700. I learned a long time ago that my trikes were not the solution to group rides with riders on 20 pound (or less) road bikes.
I guess I dread losing the group rides and was hoping to find a way to at least stay in the loop. I do enjoy the thrill of a quick group ride, but even if the trike was close to the speed it seems it will be impossible to be a part of it, or I am finding that.

Someone suggested the recumbent two wheel bike. We have had a few want to join us on rides. It just does not work out with a recumbent two wheel bike. They just ride different, and it is the same with the trike.

Another subject, after 4 or 5 rides on the trike, it appears that getting "trike legs" will take a good while. Any pointers on that?
Old 10-28-17, 07:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
A whiplash injury over 3 years ago just will not quit. Last week I rode two hilly 60 mile rides on my Fuji Transonic. The pain just became too much. I decided to get off my DF bike. I am having a MRI tomorrow on my neck and left shoulder, but I know the results will be that old age and the injury are too much for my neck to ride a bike.

After a bike crash a couple years ago I purchased a used 2012 Scorpion FX with all 20" wheels. It is a touring bike mostly. I rode it a couple months and put it in storage as I got back on my DF. The Scorpion is back out and I have ridden it a few times. Actually, a lot of fun, and my neck does not hurt at all after a ride. Nice.

However, it is slow when compared to what I have been riding. This year I had a number of organized rides where I averaged over 20 MPH for a full metric century. I can barely get this trike to 20 MPH in the best of conditions on a flat and the hills are very slow. I expected the hills to be slow. I have read about a Catrike 700 and an ICE, but I have not seen one in action or been on either one. Are these the speed trikes or is it just advertising?
Actually what is the up side of riding more than 20 mph in a group?

IMO riding little more than half that at ease on a trike with my head up looking around and enjoying the view is a far nicer way to enjoy a ride. Enjoy the trip, not just getting to the destination as fast as you can.
Old 10-28-17, 02:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

The advantage of a 20 mph group is that many more destinations are open to you, given a limited window for the ride to be completed.

BA, I've ridden with a 20 mph group for years, although as everyone ages, it's becoming more of an 18-19 mph group. It's true that bents have a different speed profile when the hills start; but highracers certainly come closer to fitting in that trikes. I often get in front of everyone now, and strangely, it usually happens because of hills. I squirt off the front at the start of a climb and the others never catch up unless I wait for them at the top.
Old 10-30-17, 03:27 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Actually what is the up side of riding more than 20 mph in a group?
Why that's easy. It's the sense of sharing a task, that's hard to do, with other people. If you've never had that experience I feel sorry for you.
Old 10-30-17, 08:12 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Why that's easy. It's the sense of sharing a task, that's hard to do, with other people. If you've never had that experience I feel sorry for you.
Yup. And it's FUN.
Old 10-30-17, 08:14 AM
Steamer

BA - get a fast recumbent bike. Comfort and speed are not mutually exclusive.

Trikes are fun. I have one. But it's not the right tool for the job that you've defined here.
Old 10-30-17, 09:41 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm with rydabent, you couldn't pay me to ride with a group of 20 people because people are different and like different things. There are lots of things in life I have no need to experience because I know I wouldn't like them and that includes group bike rides.
Old 10-30-17, 10:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Did that years ago on my road bike. Maybe just me, but I never got too much out of it. Kind of like riding a bike in a health club.
Old 10-30-17, 12:37 PM
BlazingPedals

The other aspect of a group ride, regardless of speed, is the social aspect. Even at 20 mph or more, you're riding with a group of similarly-capable friends and talking, while the scenery goes by.
Old 10-30-17, 12:48 PM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The other aspect of a group ride, regardless of speed, is the social aspect. Even at 20 mph or more, you're riding with a group of similarly-capable friends and talking, while the scenery goes by.
That's the thing...I ride alone and don't have any need or desire for any social aspect. It was fine when the kids were little and I was out riding with them, but other than that I have no use for group rides.
Old 10-30-17, 03:58 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
I have read about a Catrike 700 and an ICE...
Yeah, ICE VTX. And I'd probably include the Windcheetah on a list of relatively speedy tadpole trikes.

Originally Posted by Steamer
...get a fast recumbent bike. Comfort and speed are not mutually exclusive.
What are the fast, light recumbent bikes these days? Bacchetta? Cruzbike? Lightning? Xxxx xx Xxxx*?

* Sorry to have mentioned this bike on the RECUMBENT list!

Last edited by tcs; 10-30-17 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 06:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bird of Prey is not a recumbent, it's a prone, exactly the opposite of a recumbent. The most often-referenced fast recumbents these days are the M5 CHR, the Bacchetta CA2, the Carbent, and the Cruzbike Vendetta - all highracers. My NoCom (no longer in production) is faster; but with a seat height of about 8 inches, it doesn't mix as well with the uprights in my club.
Old 10-30-17, 07:22 PM
RL7836

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The most often-referenced fast recumbents these days are the M5 CHR, the Bacchetta CA2, the Carbent, and the Cruzbike Vendetta - all highracers.
Another bike to add to this list is Zockra.
Old 10-30-17, 09:12 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many good answers about riding in a 20 MPH group. It is a blast.
As far as the recumbent bike, I think if I cannot ride a road bike I would rather ride the trike. Neither the trike or the recumbent bike can mix in a group ride, so I would rather "go all the way" with a trike. Been riding a couple weeks to try to get my trike legs. It is fun, just slow.
Old 10-31-17, 07:59 AM
Steamer

Neither the trike or the recumbent bike can mix in a group ride, so I would rather "go all the way" with a trike.
I don't agree with this statement (bolded).

A high racer type of recumbent bike can fit in pretty well. Especially if the terrain is reasonably mild (say, 50 feet of climbing per mile, or less).
Old 10-31-17, 08:21 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
What Steamer said.

Also, one could add the Schlitter to Blazing's list.

As for riding with uprights, I ride my Bacchetta CA2 regularly. However, not all groups are tolerant. I rode with a group one time many years ago that wanted to relegate me to the back. Then a guy complained about my "chainsaw" behind him so I got asked to ride in the front.

Old 10-31-17, 06:29 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need a full description of a "high racer".
Old 10-31-17, 07:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Here is a Bacchetta CA2 which is a typical highracer design. In fact, Bacchetta was originally known for their highracer development.

Other companies have made these, also. Generally, they sport two large wheels, either 700c or 650c though there are other configurations, too.

This is a 2011 or 12, can't remember for sure. The main frame is carbon fiber as is the seat and the wheels are 700c.

B061517 by trsnrtr, on Flickr

Old 10-31-17, 08:21 PM
Steamer

High Racer = short wheelbase recumbent bike, typically with a laid back seat, high BB, two big wheels, and usually over-seat steering.
Old 10-31-17, 08:31 PM
Steamer

Pic below was taken by a riding companion (on an upright) of me on my Metabike HR. HRs can draft uprights, and vice versa. HRs are high enough to be in the peripheral vision of an upright rider. Easy to talk, as the bent riders head is only a little lower.

57 Allegheny Highlands CUP 200k by Jon Rando, on Flickr

This is my Metabike:

DSC00765_zps63d0a229 by Kett-Man, on Flickr

Last edited by Steamer; 11-01-17 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 11-01-17, 09:28 AM
BlazingPedals

My personal checkpoints for a highracer, which may not be universally recognized, is that it is a short wheelbase recumbent with two big (26" or more) wheels and seat recline under 28 degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.