Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

What's in the drop bag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 06:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
What's in the drop bag?

I probably should have started this thread a few days ago, but here we are.

The DC Randonneurs "Blue Ridge to Bay" 1200 starts at dawn tomorrow. Three overnights at hotels; the first two at the same hotel, the third somewhere else. The organizers are going to take each rider's drop bag to the first hotel on the first day, and then move it to the second hotel on the third day, and back to the start on the fourth day.

Looks like we'll get some rain, some heat, a little bit of everything. Hurricane season is starting!

So my question, for those experienced with such things, what do you put in that bag? What have you put in there and never needed; what have you wished you had put in there?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-18, 09:34 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
On the granite anvil last year I had a change of clothes for each day, a thermal jersey I didn't need, rain booties I could have used but didn't really need, sleeping shorts, a few sets of earplugs. I had arm and leg warmers that I didn't end up needing but they don't take up much space. Aside from a few hours of heavy rain one night we had perfect weather for the ride. Next time I'm going to pack a few more protein bars to have as snacks before bed... I was often kinda hungry but not really wanting to eat...
Old 07-24-18, 06:30 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Having used one drop bag on BRB as described above, and one drop bag (smaller) on LOL, I guess I'm getting the hang of it. But....

Now for a further wrinkle, the Mac& Cheese 1200 is going to use two drop bags, one for the first two nights (I think that includes the night before the ride starts), the other for the second two nights.

And they're going to have a mechanic driving a bike shop on wheels, with spare parts, following the riders; so there will be less need to carry that kind of thing. If I decide to use an unusual tire size (26" is likely), I suppose I can give spare tire and tubes to him.

Anyway, the question remains: what goes in the drop bag (s)? Obviously a tooth brush and tooth paste in each, and a phone charger in each, and pajamas. But beyond that, I'm having a hard time thinking of what I'll need at the overnights that I won't need on the bike.
Old 07-25-18, 03:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Change of cycling clothes - especially shorts and socks.
If it rains, these are very welcome! Also if the shorts you choose to ride in initially, become uncomfortable for one reason or another, a different pair of shorts is great. And you can choose to remain in your current clothes if you're happy.

Long-sleeved polypro.
Again, if it rains or is colder than expected, this is wonderful!

Other warm dry gear as desired - maybe gloves, headband to cover your ears, neck gaiter, leg warmers, etc.

Different food! As in ... not energy bars!
-- a bag of salted almonds
-- a packet of beef jerky
-- a package of potato chips or Doritoes
-- a couple tins of Ensure Plus
-- bag of drink powder (like Ensure powder or a maltodextrin mix)

A towel, loose T-shirt and loose shorts, small slip-on runners, small soap, toothbrush & paste.

A couple extra tubes.
Old 07-25-18, 06:49 AM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After you had to deal with being totally soaked for 4 days in DC, I think you'll be fine for Mac&Cheese. The "not-bike-food" suggestion is a great one.

For longer brevets, I carry the travel toothbrush and toothpaste with me. It's so nice to be able to brush your teeth whenever you want, vs. feeling kinda ragged until you can get to the overnight. Low-cost / high-yield.
Old 07-25-18, 03:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
definitely nice to have a toothbrush on the bike. Some flossers are nice, teeth can get nasty on a long ride. I also carry a guard because I grind my teeth. Although for some reason that seems to be less of an issue on a 1200k.

I still haven't decided what to put in the two bags for Mac 'n' Cheese. I feel like a long sleeve jersey is going to be a good idea. Carry one on the bike and have an extra in each drop bag. It could rain, and it would be nice to have a fresh long sleeve jersey. I guess I'm buying a second tube of chamois cream so I can have one in each bag. Or maybe I'll buy some refillable squeeze tubes like backpackers use. that will free up some drop bag space.

I put a 2.5 gallon ziplock bag in for each day, with a jersey, undershirt, shorts and socks. I require fresh clothes each day. The other items like spare gloves and long sleeve jersey go in another ziplock bag that I hope not to touch. I also have a first aid kit, which for me involves mostly kinesiology tape for my knees and some other bandages that I might use on sensitive spots.
Usb charger and cables goes in another, smaller bag. Not sure if I will just carry that with me on Mac 'n' Cheese instead of putting it in the bag. I just got an Anker 10000mAh battery to go along with the 6000mAh battery I have been using. I think that combo will get me through, possibly without recharging.
Old 09-16-18, 04:31 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Change of clothes , shorts, socks . Personal maintenance tooth brush etc, possibly a towel
Old 10-17-18, 07:15 PM
VN7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop bags are a bit different between PBP where they don’t synch up with the overnights and domestic 1200Ks, where they usually do. When they don’t synch up, I tend to carry toiletries on the bike and haul clean bib-shorts from drop bag to overnight. When they do synch up, I am more likely to add off-the-bike clothing.

My drop bags usually contain:

Road food and electrolytes for each day.
Clothing for each day
Rain gear, unless the forecast dictates that it be on the bike
Warmer clothing – same deal
Recoverite and chamois cream for each day
Extra batteries, tubes and tires – I also carry these on the bike, but it is good to know that you can restock if you have to
Extra shoes and/or cleats – you never know