Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Affordable leather saddles?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Affordable leather saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 12:47 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Those Gyes saddles look really nice. And their saddlebags! Since there's no purchasing option on the website, I gather they sell on eBay/Aliexpress only?
To be honest I'm not sure where to source them anymore other than Ebay. Crow Cycle used to be my go to source for them but they seem to be gone now.
Old 03-24-21, 12:59 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
To be honest I'm not sure where to source them anymore other than Ebay. Crow Cycle used to be my go to source for them but they seem to be gone now.
Bummer. My google search only turned up those two and a bunch of reviews.
Old 03-24-21, 01:07 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Bummer. My google search only turned up those two and a bunch of reviews.
Yep, Velo Orange used to sell them with their name also. Not sure why they aren't as distributed as they were. Maybe the Brooks "mystique" makes them unmarketable?
Old 03-24-21, 01:20 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Yep, Velo Orange used to sell them with their name also. Not sure why they aren't as distributed as they were. Maybe the Brooks "mystique" makes them unmarketable?
It's a shame they don't sell on the website.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-24-21, 01:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
I used to believe this too until the Gyes. Now having running both brands amongst the bikes for many years I just don't believe this anymore. With my 33" bike inseam on a 68" body I need a lot of setback on most of my bikes to keep the old knees happy. The short rails on the Brooks always caused me problems with normal setback seatpost which is why I originally went looking for a solution. If Brooks would lengthen their rails I bet they get more customers.
I get it and am so glad the Brooks work for me, they epitomise C+V to my old brain and no bike is proper to me without one, gonna really suck if and when my backside changes its mind.
Old 03-24-21, 02:11 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
I love leather saddles and I almost always buy them used. Used ones look better, are more comfortable and are cheaper. I generally pay €20 - €50, depending on condition, at swap meets and online. The trick, I find, is to keep an eye out and buy them whenever they come up for sale, and not wait until you actually need them.

My favorite is probably this well-used Brooks Pro which came off a €60 donor bike ten years ago, and has been on various L'Eroica bikes since then. It has just the right color, shape and wear for me:

The only exceptions are the B17S Imperials mrs non-fixie has come to love. I've not been able to find them used so far, but at ~ €90 new, I think they're a pretty good investment.Come to think of it, buying anything mrs non-fixie likes has turned out to be a pretty good investment.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-24-21, 02:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Gyes saddles are good. But I still haven't regretted any of the Brooks saddles I've bought. When I came back to cycling and found bikeforums, I thought people sounded silly talking about how they loved Brooks. I thought, come on, the world has moved on, and we've invented better saddles. But then I came to realize that there's nothing I like as much.

I've bought more than I needed and now I have a stash of them. They may die of mold before I get to use them all. Come to think of it, I think I will take out of the barn and find space for them in a closet.

Bummer.
I see what you did there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-24-21, 03:08 PM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Wow, so many new replies! Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I found an old French saddle which would be pretty close to what my bike was originally sold with, but unfortunately pics provided by the seller show how the shiny black finish has crackled a lot, revealing brown leather underneath, and the sides have pulled up meaning it has lost its shape. For 20 €, I'm not sure if it's worth the go. Also keeping an eye on a couple of near-mint second hand Brooks examples, waiting for the seller to answer to my bargaining effort
Likes For Krov9:
Old 03-24-21, 03:13 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by merziac
I get it and am so glad the Brooks work for me, they epitomise C+V to my old brain and no bike is proper to me without one, gonna really suck if and when my backside changes its mind.
Yeah, if there wasn't the setback issue I probably would never have looked past the Brooks. I think someone on here referred me to the Gyes.

I will say I find the Fizik Kurves to feel pretty close to the leather saddles with out they feel to my bum.
Old 03-24-21, 04:29 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Not sure what that poster on YACF is going on about with the Lepper but I have two Lepper Tourer saddles on high mileage, wet weather, bikes right now and am considering buying a third before they run out. (The company has gone bankrupt in 2020 and the machines have been sold off)
The leather is thicker than Brooks and so is the frame.

I have the exact same complaint about a Brooks B17 Imperial. Sagging to the point of the leather hitting the frame with the additional issues of broken frames.

Sounds to me like he overstretched the leather so it is failing quicker than usual. Then again, YMMV
As others have said, leather saddles are a very personal item.
Old 03-24-21, 05:02 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
I used to believe this too until the Gyes. Now having running both brands amongst the bikes for many years I just don't believe this anymore. With my 33" bike inseam on a 68" body I need a lot of setback on most of my bikes to keep the old knees happy. The short rails on the Brooks always caused me problems with normal setback seatpost which is why I originally went looking for a solution. If Brooks would lengthen their rails I bet they get more customers.
Do you have any experience with the Gilles Berthoud saddles (out of Montreal?) I bought mine exactly for the reasons you mention—Brooks were too short for all the positions you need for distance travelling. If these Gyes are long lasting and comparable to the Gilles maybe I can save $ on my next build. ....Gilles are spectacular though as that one “go to” saddle.
Old 03-24-21, 06:32 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
Wow, so many new replies! Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I found an old French saddle which would be pretty close to what my bike was originally sold with, but unfortunately pics provided by the seller show how the shiny black finish has crackled a lot, revealing brown leather underneath, and the sides have pulled up meaning it has lost its shape. For 20 €, I'm not sure if it's worth the go. Also keeping an eye on a couple of near-mint second hand Brooks examples, waiting for the seller to answer to my bargaining effort
Do your research here before buying. Don't buy an ADGA saddle at any price. Sure I know someone may like them but they were a cauchemar for most of us.

Good saddle discussion. I'll try a Gyes if I see one.

Edit non-fixie nice B17S, I can ride that. Nice early tribute to Bunnie Wailer too.

Last edited by clubman; 03-24-21 at 09:46 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-24-21, 07:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm glad to hear that Gyes saddles are good. But I still haven't regretted any of the Brooks saddles I've bought. When I came back to cycling and found bikeforums, I thought people sounded silly talking about how they loved Brooks. I thought, come on, the world has moved on, and we've invented better saddles. But then I came to realize that there's nothing I like as much.

I've bought more than I needed and now I have a stash of them. They may die of mold before I get to use them all. Come to think of it, I think I will take out of the barn and find space for them in a closet.

I see what you did there.
That's why I have a spare B17. You have to admit, though, their bags look cool.
That was entirely unintended.
Old 03-24-21, 08:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Do you have any experience with the Gilles Berthoud saddles (out of Montreal?) I bought mine exactly for the reasons you mention—Brooks were too short for all the positions you need for distance travelling. If these Gyes are long lasting and comparable to the Gilles maybe I can save $ on my next build. ....Gilles are spectacular though as that one “go to” saddle.
Jan Heine of BQ fame swears by them, the Gyes are considered inferior by comparison, ymmv.
Old 03-24-21, 11:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,455 Times in 3,192 Posts
I think this place in the UK has rebranded Gyes saddles. If you have the need for a saddle bag or something else, then the bundled shipping can def be worth it.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s20...addles-Leather
Old 03-24-21, 11:12 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Ben's cycle has good prices on Berthoud saddles.
Old 03-25-21, 01:55 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Out of France

https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/
==
I bought my first about 6 weeks ago and and ordered another two days ago so I'm sold on them
Old 03-25-21, 06:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Jan Heine of BQ fame swears by them,
I do not doubt that his endorsement is 100% honest and sincere, but I note he sells them.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-25-21, 07:38 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Interesting that much more people are now coming out with positive reviews on the Gyes saddles.
I still remember how many quite hated the saddle, the first few years it was issued in the bike market, with the biggest complaint, being, the saddle was almost impossible to break in, because of the fabric reinforcing bonded to the bottom of the leather seemed to keep the leather rock hard, permanently.
How come I don't hear this mentioned on this thread? Did Gyes do something different to get rid of this problem??
Old 03-25-21, 09:25 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Interesting that much more people are now coming out with positive reviews on the Gyes saddles.
I still remember how many quite hated the saddle, the first few years it was issued in the bike market, with the biggest complaint, being, the saddle was almost impossible to break in, because of the fabric reinforcing bonded to the bottom of the leather seemed to keep the leather rock hard, permanently.
How come I don't hear this mentioned on this thread? Did Gyes do something different to get rid of this problem??
Yeah, maybe that was speculation vs actual experience? I just use Proofhide on both my Brooks and Gyes. I don't really see a difference with either of them in terms of breaking in or comfort. In fact I tend to forget which is which brand on the bikes. The just seem the same to me.

I've got a Guv'nor on order that will be coming with a Brooks Ti railed saddle. In my mind I'm already wondering if I'll need to swap in the Gyes for no other reason than to get enough setback. I did go with the "larger" 22.5 Guv'nor based on common fit guidance so in this case the frame may work for me with a Brooks.
Old 03-25-21, 09:27 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I think this place in the UK has rebranded Gyes saddles. If you have the need for a saddle bag or something else, then the bundled shipping can def be worth it.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s20...addles-Leather

Awesome, good find!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-21, 11:00 AM
BurkinaVelo

Bikes: 1980 Trek 412, 1982 Trek 614, 1987 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone heard of/tried the Creme Cycles Speedy Saddle? I've only seen them at Mike's Bikes here in the U.S. but I think they're available from the Creme Cycles site in Europe and maybe the U.K.?

(Couldn't post the links because I'm a newbie)
Old 03-25-21, 11:08 AM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
eBay is always worth a look. I bought a decent looking "Ideale" saddle on there a few years ago for like $10. I use quotes because either the leather had been replaced or it was never an Ideale in the first place (No embossed logo/model on the leather, no nameplate on the back, etc).

It's a pretty comfortable saddle though!
Old 03-25-21, 01:42 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by tcs
I do not doubt that his endorsement is 100% honest and sincere, but I note he sells them.
Well of course he does, self fulfilling prophecy, retail acumen, etc. and one of the few that gets to have big fun while laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 03-25-21, 02:28 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
In the long run I just buy a Brooks that suits the bike and admire how good it feels and looks. I just tried a perfect looking Czech saddle recently and it will never be supportive or shaped the way I want. I almost always take them off before I sell a bike. I even bought a new B67 for my new Giant ebike.

Last edited by browngw; 03-25-21 at 09:14 PM.
Likes For browngw:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.