Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What oil to lubricate floor pump?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 06:21 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

My Bontrager floor pump started to feel off - it got crunchy toward the bottom of its travel and it started to squeak and felt less smooth - so I took it apart and found the plunger end with the plastic fitting holding the O-ring was covered with grime. I looked inside the tube with a borescope and the bottom piece set into the end of the tube was filthy as well so I shot some carb cleaner inside until it ran clear coming out the bottom. But there also appeared to be some kind of oil inside, so there's obviously lubrication - what oil do you recommend and how liberally should it be used?

Thanks!

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 03-17-22 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-17-22, 07:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Since you've got it disassembled, put some grease on the O-ring. Whatever you've got is probably fine.

Without taking the whole thing apart, I'll use whatever oil/chain lube I have handy. Phil Wood oil, Finish Line Wet, super-duper secret mix of 30W motor oil thinned with mineral spirits...
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-17-22, 07:48 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Silicone greases are recommended for rubber and plastics.
I personally use Napa sil glyde, Honda Shin-Etsu, or Dow molykote 55 on o rings and rubber seals
Old 03-17-22, 08:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Since you've got it disassembled, put some grease on the O-ring. Whatever you've got is probably fine.[
I agree. Of course if I said that,there would be 14 people here telling me how wrong I am and how there are 10,000 better products to use.

Without taking the whole thing apart, I'll use whatever oil/chain lube I have handy. Phil Wood oil, Finish Line Wet, super-duper secret mix of 30W motor oil thinned with mineral spirits...
I wouldn’t use oil. Oil flows away from where it is needed. Grease would be better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-17-22, 10:02 AM
MyRedTrek

What I want to know is how did *sand* get in there? With the borescope I could clearly see sand in the bottom of the tube and some stuck to a dowel I stuck in there - but it's basically a sealed unit, from what I see air gets drawn in from the top via the side tube. That's odd.
Old 03-17-22, 10:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
My current floor pump has been in service for ~7 yrs, and is used to top off the psi before just about every ride (Strava says 1,414 rides to date), and I haven't yet but I've considered re-lubing it at some point, but I always figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe some Park grease is in its future.

BTW I didn't know the brand of the pump off the top of my head (not there now) so I searched for "Orange Pump" and got this result...it might increase your blood pressure, but doesn't do a thing for your tire pressure...
Old 03-17-22, 05:36 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Since you've got it disassembled, put some grease on the O-ring. Whatever you've got is probably fine.

Don't use oil. It can get aspirated and injected into your tire. That will damage the inner tube. Grease is the answer.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-17-22, 07:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Back in the day of steel pump cylinders and leather pressure cups we would unthread the cylinder's top can and wipe some grease on the inner walls to keep the rust at bay and keep the leather supple.

Compressing air has a lot more going on than most think. The air flow into the cylinder can be greater than one might think. Moisture in the air will condense out on cooler surfaces, like a pump base that sat on the floor (garage, car trunk...) all night. Moist surfaces tend to better allow dust/grit to cling to them. With the advent of plastic pumps some of the rust issues are lessened but the rest still happens and the easy to service the pump also is lessened.

While I agree with the pursuit of the why/how as a service guy I have had to learn to move on and deal with the results regardless of the why/hows. I suggest accepting that in the future the grit will reenter the pump and learn to service it more often. Or just but a new one, which is what 98% of the public would do Andy
Old 03-18-22, 01:34 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by dedhed
Silicone greases are recommended for rubber and plastics.
I personally use Napa sil glyde, Honda Shin-Etsu, or Dow molykote 55 on o rings and rubber seals
Got a tube of Sil-Glyde - works great. I imagine this 4 oz tube will last for several generations.
Old 03-18-22, 07:08 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Got a tube of Sil-Glyde - works great. I imagine this 4 oz tube will last for several generations.
There's other ways to use it up. I use it on auto brake jobs, weather stripping, door/hood bumpers, mounting vehicle tires, any place rubber interfaces with other materials. Like any grease a tube can last a long time when "a little dab will do you"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-18-22, 07:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Don't use oil. It can get aspirated and injected into your tire. That will damage the inner tube. Grease is the answer.
I suspect that's more a theoretical concern than a field observation. I've been dripping various oils in pumps for decades so I don't have to disassemble and reassemble the pumps, and I've never seen an inner tube fail because of aspirated oil. There's too much surface and thickness to the butyl rubber to rot it through before prospective patch #24 won't hold.
Old 03-19-22, 01:06 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
I suspect that's more a theoretical concern than a field observation. I've been dripping various oils in pumps for decades so I don't have to disassemble and reassemble the pumps, and I've never seen an inner tube fail because of aspirated oil. There's too much surface and thickness to the butyl rubber to rot it through before prospective patch #24 won't hold.
Definitely more of an issue for latex tubes than butyl tubes.
Old 03-21-22, 07:08 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
It depends on the composition of the seal. Why not send a quick email to Bontrager.
Old 03-21-22, 08:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
My Bontrager floor pump started to feel off.......
You may not want to make a warranty/replacement claim but Bontrager is supposed to have a lifetime no cost replacement policy for their pumps. While on vacation a few years ago I purchased a Bontrager "Charger" floor pump as a replacement for a cheap travel pump that broke. The shop owner who sold it to me said if anything happened to it Bontrager would replace it at no cost forever.