Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Toe Clearance and bigger tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 11:49 AM
goatalope
Biking Viking.

Bikes: '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

What geometry measurement will indicate toe/shoe clearance?

Road bike tire clearance is going up. Not uncommon to be able to fit 32s, even 35s. I had 32s on my Trek Emonda; however, my foot would hit the front tire if I didn't pay attention when slow city riding or doing sharp turns.

Maybe big tires and road geometry isn't the best combo. Anyways, how do I tell if a bike will have more shoe/toe clearance from a geometry chart?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-22, 12:07 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Some of it depends on shoe and pedal choice, cleat position, foot size, and crankarm length, so I'm not sure a geo chart can always predict toe overlap. Moreover, I think toe overlap can be easily accommodated for with practice.

This article may help: How to Tell If a Bike Will Have Toe Overlap?
Old 03-23-22, 12:54 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I'm no frame builder, but in general, a frame with a higher numbered head tube angle will donate to the cause of toe overlap, as well as less trail and fork rake, or a bottom bracket that's more forward. All of those things bring your foot and wheel closer together.

I've gone down one too many times doing a very small diameter low speed u-turn and had overlap occur which caused me to lose balance and fall. I'll no longer buy a bike if I personally experience ANY toe overlap on the test ride, but as was said, there's a lot of variables that can stack-up and cause it, or can be changed to alleviate it. Or you can learn to avoid it...until you don't.
Old 03-23-22, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Without making a drawing to scale and adding your own measurements for crank and toe I don't know that there is a good reliable way to judge that. But maybe consider fork rake, any difference in seat tube and head tube angle, as well as wheel base when you are comparing the geometry of multiple bikes .

I don't worry about toe interference, but I don't ride in traffic at less than 3 mph. At speeds higher than 3, I can't imagine it ever being an issue, except for carelessness when starting from a stop. But apparently it is and issue for you. Do you ride with cleats or toe clips? If so, I'd consider flat pedals if I was riding where traffic will slow me that much.
Old 03-23-22, 08:08 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Toe reduction surgery.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 03-23-22, 08:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by goatalope
What geometry measurement will indicate toe/shoe clearance?

Road bike tire clearance is going up. Not uncommon to be able to fit 32s, even 35s. I had 32s on my Trek Emonda; however, my foot would hit the front tire if I didn't pay attention when slow city riding or doing sharp turns.

Maybe big tires and road geometry isn't the best combo. Anyways, how do I tell if a bike will have more shoe/toe clearance from a geometry chart?

Thanks.
I've never owned a road bike, cross or gravel bike that I didn't hit the tire with my toe if I didn't pay attention. I've had road bikes since the 70s. 5-8… 54/medium bike size, normal tires in case anyone thinks it's an odd situation. I've always thought it's is normal and is no problem at all.
Old 03-23-22, 10:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
'Front center' is the term you're looking for. Center of bb to the center of the front axle.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-24-22, 12:07 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
There's no Geo measurement which would 'indicate' toe clearance - too many factors.
Besides Front-center, there is crank length, tire/wheel diameter, shoe size (and not surprisingly, shoe profile in the nose/toe area), cleat placement.
Toe-overlap has usually been a condition of 'road' type bikes, rare for what had been called 'touring' bikes.
There's a lot of history to this, and I won;t into that now.
But these days the problem is exasperated by bigger riders on smaller frames, general use of large tire sizes, and bike designers not adapting design for the overwhelming trend for use of large tires by a broad spectrum of riders.
Surprisingly, getting Front-center spec in manfacturer's specs is not a given. Specialized gives front-center, Trek does not... One can calculate front-center from the common geo specs given.
You need wheelbase, chainstay length, BB drop.
So, it becomes a personal investigation. For me, I generally ride 'Lg' commonly 56-57cm size in road frames, Have a 11/45 shoe size and the cleat is mounted well forward on the shoe sole , but Ball O Foot is positioned over the center of pedal spindle (I have a size 13 foot arch length with corresponding size 8 toe length... LOL! ) I still ride 700x23 or 25 on my road bikes. And use Sidi and Shimano shoes which don;t have a very pointy toe shoe profile. So, I can avoid toe-overlap if the front-center is at least 590mm or a bit greater. If I were to go to a 28mm tire, it would be very, very close...
My own observations for a few years is that a front-center of over 600mm would accommodate tire sizes up to at least 42, possibly larger - for large feet (size 12 or under...)
I've owned a few bikes, over the decades, which had toe-ovelap, and none have ever been 'keepers' or considered a FAV... besides toe-overlap, there have always been other things which have made the frame less desirable...
Toe-overlap isn't even a 'discussion' when it comes to riding with flat pedals, because foot/shoe placement is usually all over the map...
For some, toe-overlap is not a consideration. I find it totally annoying and know it could easily be eliminated in frame design, so it's a none-starter for me.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-24-22, 06:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
'Front center' is the term you're looking for. Center of bb to the center of the front axle.
This^^^

I see this given for some MTBs these days, though I have not seen it for road bikes (though TBH I have not really looked.

In reality, I do not find toe overlap a problem. I ride pretty small road/gravel frames and toe overlap is the norm for me. It is only an issue when going very slow and turning very sharp, and I just move my foot out of the way. It is muscle memory and I seldom even realize I am doing it.
Old 03-24-22, 06:23 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
There really isn't a way around it if you want a good-handling bike in a small size other than a smaller wheel. I know they just don't sell, but XS adult road bikes should usually come with a 650C wheel, IMO.
Likes For Viich:
Old 03-24-22, 08:00 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I've never owned a road bike, cross or gravel bike that I didn't hit the tire with my toe if I didn't pay attention. I've had road bikes since the 70s. 5-8… 54/medium bike size, normal tires in case anyone thinks it's an odd situation. I've always thought it's is normal and is no problem at all.
Having raced, and having built my own frame, I've always thought that toe overlap was total BS, easily avoided, and an inferior design choice, caused by favoring something less important in a compromise, or by not caring, since bikes with overlap are common. IMO, toe overlap is always a minus, never a plus, and, with the possible exception of an hour-record bike for a four foot tall rider, totally unnecessary. If I ordered a custom bike and specified no toe overlap, and got toe overlap anyway, the builder would simply need to find another buyer, because I wouldn't accept the frame, period.

YMMV
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-24-22, 08:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

What I find total BS is messing with the handling / geo of the bike (increasing offset / slackening HA) or riding too long of a frame just to avoid something that is a total non-issue.
YMMV
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-24-22, 08:30 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
I’ve got long feet, I can hit the front tire on all of my bikes, with either side of the crank full forward and the back of the tire about 6 in off center. Yet no issues riding, you could never turn the wheel that much at speed anyway.
Occasionally notice it when starting out, hardly moving, or trying to balance the bike when stationary. Not a big deal on a road bike, mountain bike, off road maybe an issue.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 03-24-22 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-24-22, 08:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
I don't have any toe overlap on my Trek Domane with 32s when doing sharp turns or riding slow. My clips are placed towards the front of the shoe and maybe the bike size is right for me. My GF doesn't have the problem either and she rides the same bike but with flats. I would literally have to try to make this happen.
Old 03-24-22, 09:21 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Yeah, toe overlap is pretty much unnecessary, unsafe BS, since you can get what you want without it. I never fell over from it, but another 2 mph mix-up found me waking up in a stranger's car with a concussion; it doesn't matter, until it does. People who accept toe-overlap are mis-guided, imo.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-24-22, 09:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I look at toe overlap sort of like pedal strikes on the ground: You need to adjust your riding technique to deal with it (not pedaling through heavily leaned turns), but I have never heard of someone on a road bike running shorter cranks or raising the bb enough to completely eliminate the possibility.

The difference is that I need to accommodate for toe overlap far less than pedal strikes in turns.

Things are a little different with MTBs, but even there we tolerate needing to adjust our technique to avoid them, rather than do what is need to completely eliminate the possibility (super high BBs or super short cranks).
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-24-22, 09:41 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Yeah, toe overlap is pretty much unnecessary, unsafe BS, since you can get what you want without it. I never fell over from it, but another 2 mph mix-up found me waking up in a stranger's car with a concussion; it doesn't matter, until it does. People who accept toe-overlap are mis-guided, imo.
Your lack of a clue is showing big time. I ride a 52cm frame, have size 40-41 shoes and have had toe overlap on every road bike I've ever had, my track bikes were really bad. It happens. It's not a big deal. To say that anyone should be able to not have it at all on a normal geometry bike is ignorant.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-24-22, 09:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I look at toe overlap sort of like pedal strikes on the ground: You need to adjust your riding technique to deal with it (not pedaling through heavily leaned turns), but I have never heard of someone on a road bike running shorter cranks or raising the bb enough to completely eliminate the possibility.

The difference is that I need to accommodate for toe overlap far less than pedal strikes in turns.

Things are a little different with MTBs, but even there we tolerate needing to adjust our technique to avoid them, rather than do what is need to completely eliminate the possibility (super high BBs or super short cranks).
I found that buying a bike with a higher BB solves the pedal strike issue on MTB. My bike has 349 BB height. One of the reasons I purchased it. Care free pedaling. Don't need to worry about technique.

These manufactures making bikes with a low BB claiming more stability is just bunk. A persons center of gravity for stability while riding is around the waist area not the feet that are couple of inches off the ground. And with dropper posts that center of gravity can be adjusted for riding conditions.
Old 03-24-22, 09:58 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Your lack of a clue is showing big time. I ride a 52cm frame, have size 40-41 shoes and have had toe overlap on every road bike I've ever had, my track bikes were really bad. It happens. It's not a big deal. To say that anyone should be able to not have it at all on a normal geometry bike is ignorant.
Dumb can be normal, and often is, these days.
Old 03-24-22, 10:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by prj71
I found that buying a bike with a higher BB solves the pedal strike issue on MTB. My bike has 349 BB height. One of the reasons I purchased it. Care free pedaling. Don't need to worry about technique.

These manufactures making bikes with a low BB claiming more stability is just bunk. A persons center of gravity for stability while riding is around the waist area not the feet that are couple of inches off the ground. And with dropper posts that center of gravity can be adjusted for riding conditions.
Sure, higher BB and shorter cranks HELP, but you still have to be mindful of where you pedal in some situations. You are mostly likely doing it without realizing it. If not.... I don't know what you must be riding that a 13.7" BB is allowing you to pedal through literally everything with no regard. I've had bb's higher than that in the past and still managed to smash my pedals.
Old 03-24-22, 10:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
+1 Front center roughly equals Wheel base - chainstay length. (I say roughly because there is an about 2" difference in height between the hub axles and the bottom bracket so this isn't quite exact but it is close. If you ignore published front centers and just use this calculation, you can quickly see what bikes work for you and which don't. To do this:

Measure the axle to axle wheelbase of a bike that works for you. Measure the BB center to rear axle. The difference is now the calculated front center. Now it's easy. Most bike specs publish both wheelbase and chainstay length.

Yes, you can also get there (and more exactly in theory) using the frame geometry but - the seat tube angle determines where the top tube starts. So where the top of the head tube is depends on both seat tube and top tube. Now you draw that line of the head tube angle and offset that by the fork rake. You are looking for a number where a few mms matters a lot. This method trusts 5 of the specs to be right on over about 1 1/2 meters of tubing.

And for all this, even with my simple calc, we have to trust the specs or bring our tape measure or shoes. Specs are published months before the first bike of that year rolls of the line. Changes happen. Carbon fiber means once the mold is made, no more changes for the frames off that mold, but - molds get replaced, there are varying levels of oversight between design offices, often on different continents, and manufacturing plants, different languages, etc.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-24-22, 10:32 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I disagree. The fact that overlap happens "makes it a big deal" to me also, because I don't want it to happen, at all. The fact that we don't want it doesn't make us ignorant (that's just an absurd thing for you to say), it just makes YOU more accepting of a bike's inherent faults, than we are willing to accept. I had overlap on a Trek Madone 2.3, went down several times because of it while doing 1-2 mph very tight U-turns where rotation of the cranks is needed to maintain forward motion and balance, toe overlap occurred, I went down. Some of us now want bikes that don't have it. Why is that a problem for you to understand. This thread is about how to avoid overlap. Go start your own thread on how to live with it.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 03-24-22, 10:37 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Toe overlap is merely just a result of building a frame, typically smaller but not always, with a desired handling performance. On smaller frames it is especially tough, maybe impossible, to dial in those characteristics without toe overlap.

Whether good or bad is up to the individual and the value placed on certain handling characteristics.

If eliminating toe overlap is the primary design criteria, it is easy to design a bike without toe overlap. Changes to seat angle, top tube, head angle, fork rake can be made to increase the front center.

I highly doubt mfgs intentionally design toe overlap just for the sake of it.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-24-22, 10:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Riveting
I disagree. The fact that overlap happens "makes it a big deal" to me also, because I don't want it to happen, at all. The fact that we don't want it doesn't make us ignorant (that's just an absurd thing for you to say), it just makes YOU more accepting of a bike's inherent faults, than we are willing to accept. I had overlap on a Trek Madone 2.3, went down several times because of it while doing 1-2 mph very tight U-turns where rotation of the cranks is needed to maintain forward motion and balance, toe overlap occurred, I went down. Some of us now want bikes that don't have it. Why is that a problem for you to understand. This thread is about how to avoid overlap. Go start your own thread on how to live with it.
No thread needed. Just don't pedal through a super tight, slow turn. Ratchet one pedal stroke if you need to. The only reason you would need to keep pedaling is if you are on a fixie. I've been riding road/gravel bikes for the past 25 years with toe overlap and never once fell over due to it.

Or alter the bikes handling. It's up to you.

A bike that changes its handling characteristics to avoid something that I already avoid without issue is my definition of "faulty design" for my needs. Perhaps in your case your needs are different since you can't manage the slow sharp curves that others can.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-24-22 at 10:56 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-24-22, 10:48 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
And does front center matter? If you ride with fenders it can. I've ripped a few stay brackets off the fender with my shoe coming down on the fender bolt riding fix gear. If my shoe doesn't slip off something has to give. The fender, my shoe or my foot. (Shoe is locked in place on the pedal with the old fashioned slotted aluminum cleat - zero float until that cleat is worn). Fortunately for my foot, it's always been the fender but I've also fallen over a couple of times.

All my overlapping fenders have plenty of black scuff marks from my shoes. I like bikes with more FC; both for this and because they tend to have (for me anyway) better weight balance for downhill corners. But this comes with a risk. Long FCs and corresponding long TTs can run into speed wobbles. (Aging doesn't help. The bikes I rode fearlessly in my 20s I cannot trust now on high speed descents. One of the best wobble-stoppers is youth, strength and confidence. Knowing what a high speed crash would do to my near 70 yo body has robbed me of that confidence.)
Likes For 79pmooney:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.