Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light selection guide.

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Light selection guide.

Old 08-16-07, 09:09 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
cygolite

Originally Posted by dydst
Hey everyone,

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the answer to this question. It relates to charging the lead acid batteries found on many of the not so new lights. Can anyone help me?

I'm getting a Cygolite Night Rover with a sealed Lead Acid battery (gel cell). Fully charged, it might last somewhere around 2 hours. I see all this stuff about how easy it is to kill your battery by totally running it down, by overcharging it, etc. If I use it for one hour every day, how often am I supposed to charge it? And for how long? Overnight, every 2 nights?

I'd really appreciate your help!

I've got a Cygolite Night Rover with NiCad battery. The run time between charging depends on whether you use the bright beam, low beam, or both. On low, it will easily last more than 3 hours, perhaps 4. With both lights on, perhaps 2+ hours.

With NiCad batteries, I think it is best to run down the batteries as low as possible before recharging. I generally charge mine overnight. I think it has some sort of regulating device so the battery won't overcharge, but you don't want to leave it hooked up charging indefinitely. If you are using your light for one hour every day, you should be able to go at least 2 days between charges -- longer if you use the low beam only. Check at the Cygolite website for more details.
Old 08-20-07, 12:14 PM
porq
rain-forest commuter

Bikes: 2008 Kona Dr. Dew, 2002 Kona MokoMoko, 1994 Cadex, 1990 Breezer Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is anyone using the Princeton Tec Switchback 2? I've searched for reviews and can't really find any, but they look like a good light.
Old 08-21-07, 01:00 PM
aliensporebomb

Bikes: Too many to list comfortably

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Exclamation Thinking...

Originally Posted by Ridire123
I was wondering if anyone might have any input on comparing something like the TrailTech HID to the DiNotte 5W or L&M Vega. They can be had for nearly the same price and was just wondering how they compare. This won't be for commuting, persay, just night road riding (only time I have to train). I really hope to keep it under $200, which is why I was considering the above. Welcome to any input outside of them, though. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIn3OWG6YK0

This is my Trailtech 13W HID light I got from Batteryspace.com
(I should say that some have had not so good experiences
with them, my experience has been fine) compared to a
Viewpoint Gen3 (1W Luxeon) versus two Cateye
EL300 led lights.

I searched online for a discount coupon for ordering thru Batteryspace
got the light, mounts, battery and smart charger for $197 (which includes shipping) total outlay using that coupon (I forget where I found it).

Very happy with it - stupid bright! Can't compare to the Dinotte but I
can say the Vega is a dim firefly compared to the Trailtech Eclipse 13W.

Batteryspace says the 10W HID is 550 lumen and the 13W is about
30% brighter (in the 710-720 lumen range or so). All I know is I
finally have a light I can see by. Cars definetely see me.

Runtime is purported to be in the 4 hour range, I've not done a ride
as long as that at night so all I can say is I've done multiple night
rides and not needed to recharge so far.

Trailtech makes a 30W HID that is supposedly 1850 lumen, this light
is almost too bright as it is. Check it out.
Old 09-05-07, 07:58 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikehead
The Lightmanstrobes says the strobe takes 2 AA batteries.But a plus, they have ones that can be wired
so you don't have to change batteries.
The "wired" lightman strobes simply have a wired switch. Has nothing to do with power supply.
Old 09-06-07, 12:31 PM
chele519

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those of you who used the Optronics lights, did you use the wiring that comes with it? My lights came today and looking at it I'm a little confused. I'm planning to get this battery and get the male end of the trailtech as a separate connection and wiring that to the lights. Would that work? I was planning on using the crimping connectors instead of soldering but I'm not sure if I need that with the connectors that are on the wiring now.

https://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2205
Old 09-06-07, 07:53 PM
Frankenbiker
Slow ride, take it easy -

Location: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, soybean, corn fields of Illinois

Bikes: 98 Mongoose Cambridge with Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't use the wires that came with the light, though they would have worked fine. Instead, I bumped the wiring up a notch from 18GA/105C to 16Ga/125C automotive wiring. I felt more comfortable with the larger gauge wire and more abrasion resistant insulation ('cause the OCP side of my brain told me to, that's why).

The Trailtech connector should work fine. Otherwise, you can get bullet terminals at RadioShack, Ace Hardware or any automotive store.

In terms of solder vs. crimping, I prefer soldered connections covered by heat-shrink tubing because they are less likely to fail in the field due to vibration, salt, dirt and general daily use. If you have the proper crimping tool, then crimping would work. I usually crimp, solder, then cover with heat-shrink tubing.

Last edited by Frankenbiker; 09-06-07 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 07:35 AM
intrepidbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a little of the wiring included with the optronic lights, but most of the wiring I used was not.

I used soldering, heat shrink tubing, followed by liquid electrical tape on most of the connections, and then wrapped the wires together with black electrical tape.

However, I did use crimping connections close to the lights. This was so I could easily take the lighting system on and off the bike. I used liquid electrical tape on each of the crimped connections too.

I didn't use connections included with the lights, substituting my own instead. One thing you should know, the optronic's wires are not copper and are very "slippery". I had a helluva time attaching solder or crimping connections onto them.
Old 09-22-07, 10:19 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Had an idea this afternoon while scheming up homemade headlights. Haven't tried it yet, just an idea.

Anyway, there at the auto parts place, they sell trailer lights, self-contained little lights for tail lights. Then over in the Bulb department, they sell a replacement bulb for taillights that has a dozen or so LED's instead of a filament bulb. I don't know what the power draw is, but that might be one way to get a fairly bright taillight withough much current. (The LED's are wide-angle, so you wouldn't want to try them for a headlight.)
Old 10-15-07, 04:25 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do most of the links from first post that rate a lot of different lights not have hardly any cygolite models?

I didn't see this thread before....forgot there was a light subforum now, but I just ordered a cygolight li-ion (basically same as cygolite dualcross 300, but with li-ion battery).
Old 11-12-07, 09:52 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to spend about $150 (give or take) for a light. I need to be able *to see*, not just *be seen*, because the suburb I live in doesn't have any streetlights. I'm riding roads and paved MUP, with a 30 minute one-way commute. As a result, runtime isn't crucial. Neither's weight, since my commuter bike is a total pig. I currently have a Cateye 530, which isn't nearly enough.

From what I've read so far, it *seems* as if the halogens absolutely kill the LED lights in that price range, and even those up to $100 more expensive. For instance, on https://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493 the L&M Solo (halogen) blows the more expensive L&M Vega (LED) out of the water. On the other hand, people rave about LED lights like the Dinotte, Fenix, etc. So I'm a bit confused.

Is there a downside to halogens I'm missing? Or are halogens just the best performer for my price range?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-12-07, 10:29 PM
ccd rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes....there is a downside compared to LED. Mainly time.....huge disparity in running time vs. power source and also longevity of bulb(s). Also, some people prefer the bluish white tint of the LED to the more yellowish hue of the halogen (though the xenon halogens less so).

The technology is also newer with the LED's.....they are coming down in price as they age. There are also some newer versions of higher intensity LED's that are arguably better/brighter (and more like HID) than the halogens dollar for dollar (like the newer Cygolite Dual Cross or TridenX).

Finally, I can buy (and did) a 80 lumen luxeon K2 headlamp for around $20. For the same price you couldn't even touch the brightness with a halogen. I have a xenon halogen Princeton tec that costs three times that much a couple of years ago.....and the K2 is close to twice as bright and casts much further down the road.

Last edited by ccd rider; 11-12-07 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 07:35 AM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ccd rider
Yes....there is a downside compared to LED. Mainly time.....huge disparity in running time vs. power source and also longevity of bulb(s). Also, some people prefer the bluish white tint of the LED to the more yellowish hue of the halogen (though the xenon halogens less so).

The technology is also newer with the LED's.....they are coming down in price as they age. There are also some newer versions of higher intensity LED's that are arguably better/brighter (and more like HID) than the halogens dollar for dollar (like the newer Cygolite Dual Cross or TridenX).

Finally, I can buy (and did) a 80 lumen luxeon K2 headlamp for around $20. For the same price you couldn't even touch the brightness with a halogen. I have a xenon halogen Princeton tec that costs three times that much a couple of years ago.....and the K2 is close to twice as bright and casts much further down the road.
Thanks, I'm getting closer. I'm not very concerned with running time so much - as long as I get a solid hour between charges over the lifetime of the battery, I'm golden. However, bulb life is a different matter. How long can I expect the bulbs to last in a halogen? I have the Cateye LED light which I'll keep using for a bar light, but I'd still rather not be left in the dark frequently. And as the replacements look to be $20 each, I suppose that could start eating into the cost savings.

I'm sure it varies, but how much ride time can be expected for, say, a 7.2V 13W lamp like the L&M Solo (which I'm considering)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions folks, but the light manufacturers are short on details and make direct comparisons very difficult.

Last edited by Mr. Underbridge; 11-13-07 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 08:55 PM
peppy5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an older version of this lightset by BLT. i'm looking to replace the battery charger as it can't even hold a charge now for 5 minutes. what are my options?

https://www.blt-lights.com/manuals/blt_spectrum.pdf
Old 03-27-08, 02:58 PM
ThomasAndrew

Bikes: Redline Cross converted to flat bar commuter, 2X Redline Team Cross, Scott Road Team bike and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Mr. Underbridge
I use a CatEye Single Shot + that is a rechargeable ... puts out plenty of light for me...I travel a bit on my commute through some dark bike path and find the overall light to be really good. I think I am getting at least 3 hours between charges...I charge it up about once every two weeks.
https://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/462

There is smaller version of this light but I have not used it.
Old 03-27-08, 03:07 PM
ThomasAndrew

Bikes: Redline Cross converted to flat bar commuter, 2X Redline Team Cross, Scott Road Team bike and a couple others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for some feedback on the Princeton Tec lights. I was interested in their Switchback 1 or 2...

Anyone own one... know how they perform? What's the battery life like in real word use?
Old 03-27-08, 03:49 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThomasAndrew
I'm looking for some feedback on the Princeton Tec lights. I was interested in their Switchback 1 or 2...

Anyone own one... know how they perform? What's the battery life like in real word use?
https://gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php

https://gearreview.com/LEDs08_intro.php
Old 04-02-08, 03:58 PM
ThomasAndrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THANKS!

Is the internet great or what...If I could only ride bikes there.
Old 04-09-08, 07:51 PM
HopliteGrad
Recreation Ecologist

Bikes: Schwinn Criss Cross (hybrid beater), Nashbar AT-2 disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you light gurus feel about the Planet Bike Blaze 2W? I'm considering 1 or 2 of them as basic headlights. My priorities are durability (ergo LED) over all, cost of operation, then illumination (my night commutes are mostly well-lit with a few long dark stretches on road/sidewalk).
Thanks,
Hop
Old 04-10-08, 12:42 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HopliteGrad
How do you light gurus feel about the Planet Bike Blaze 2W? I'm considering 1 or 2 of them as basic headlights. My priorities are durability (ergo LED) over all, cost of operation, then illumination (my night commutes are mostly well-lit with a few long dark stretches on road/sidewalk).
Thanks,
Hop
How long of runtime do you need?
Old 04-10-08, 09:12 AM
HopliteGrad
Recreation Ecologist

Bikes: Schwinn Criss Cross (hybrid beater), Nashbar AT-2 disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
How long of runtime do you need?
Not long- half an hour at a time for normal, maybe up to a few hours for the occasional MUP night ride.
Old 06-07-08, 11:56 PM
Zian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Nitehawk Raptor in the chart isn't being sold any more.
Old 07-13-08, 02:28 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Underbridge
Looking to spend about $150 (give or take) for a light. I need to be able *to see*, not just *be seen*, because the suburb I live in doesn't have any streetlights. I'm riding roads and paved MUP, with a 30 minute one-way commute. As a result, runtime isn't crucial. Neither's weight, since my commuter bike is a total pig. I currently have a Cateye 530, which isn't nearly enough.

From what I've read so far, it *seems* as if the halogens absolutely kill the LED lights in that price range, and even those up to $100 more expensive. For instance, on https://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493 the L&M Solo (halogen) blows the more expensive L&M Vega (LED) out of the water. On the other hand, people rave about LED lights like the Dinotte, Fenix, etc. So I'm a bit confused.

Is there a downside to halogens I'm missing? Or are halogens just the best performer for my price range?

Thanks for any advice.
Ironically a street without streetlights requires less likght than one that does.

Halogen is very cost effective, which you pay for in battery weight and runtime.
Old 08-03-08, 11:59 PM
RobRollin
Big Gear Racer

Bikes: 2007 Avanti Giro Pro with 07 Ultegra and Mavis Krysirium Wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting an error once Ive downloaded the zip file.

Invalid File. Cannot open archive. Can someone please email me the chart?
Old 08-16-08, 11:52 PM
AustinShredman
AustinShredman

Bikes: Specialized Ground Control

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found an awesome rear lighting system.

I live in Austin, Tx. The other day I saw someone riding thru town with some strange, new kind of rear lighting system. The orange LED lights were part of a strap-like set up that went on his Camelbak. It was not totally dark yet, but it looked like it could be removed, and put on a different pack pretty easily. MAN....It was bright! We could see for a good 1/2 mile ahead of us before we caught up to him on the road. We asked him want it was, and he said that it was new; and he'd gotten it off the internet.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT WAS THAT I SAW? Where can I find one for myself? Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-31-08, 01:28 PM
hallmars
Newfound Addict

Bikes: Peugeot "crazy horse". Many more bikes soon to come...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinShredman
I live in Austin, Tx. The other day I saw someone riding thru town with some strange, new kind of rear lighting system. The orange LED lights were part of a strap-like set up that went on his Camelbak. It was not totally dark yet, but it looked like it could be removed, and put on a different pack pretty easily. MAN....It was bright! We could see for a good 1/2 mile ahead of us before we caught up to him on the road. We asked him want it was, and he said that it was new; and he'd gotten it off the internet.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT WAS THAT I SAW? Where can I find one for myself? Any help is appreciated.
something like this?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Lite...ted-LED-Bike-/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.