Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Called the police dept. on a cyclist tonight.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 08:22 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wife & I were on our way out to do some shopping. We were on I-29 south bound. We see a cyclist riding on the shoulder against traffic. This idiot was on a nice looking road bike, bike jersey, shorts, helmet, the whole nine yards. I called the non-emergency number to report this. Not only is this illegal but it is very unsafe. Granted he was on the shoulder which gets very narrow on the bridges he'd have to cross. And further up from where we saw him the exit entrance ramps are the combination style. Where traffic can take the exit & on the same lane/ramp traffic can get on the interstate. A great way to get sandwhiched between 2 cars going highway speeds. This was also as the sun was setting as well. He was not that visable.

Call me a busy body if you'd like but this was pure dangerous stupidity. We took the north bound side home. Did not see him, so hopefully an officer got him off of the interstate.
Old 07-20-06, 08:38 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good call in my book. I called the local non-emergency on a couple of kids on gas powered scooters today...weaving in and out of the two lanes going their direction on a 4-lane that carries traffic routinely traveling at 45+. Not trying to get them in trouble, trying to save them from their own stupidity.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 07-20-06, 09:05 PM
pakole

Bikes: 1980s 15 speed road bike, and 21 speed, Iron Horse Outlaw mountain bike and 24 speed Felt F90 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say goo job as well.
Old 07-20-06, 10:37 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good call, someone could have gotten hurt trying to avoid him on the bridge or on one of the entrance/exits you describe.
Old 07-21-06, 07:19 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He may be in full kit, but he's not all there, ya know? Every cyclist that I've seen on Interstates has been pulled over by cops here in the Northeast. Aside, are bikes allowed on certain sections of Interstate in the West?
Old 07-21-06, 07:22 AM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
He may be in full kit, but he's not all there, ya know?
I've noticed a lotta that
Old 07-21-06, 07:31 AM
sunofsand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job. Did you also manage to report all the speeders as they pass, too? Im sure there must have been at least ten within that same stretch of road.
Old 07-21-06, 07:33 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
Wife & I were on our way out to do some shopping. We were on I-29 south bound. We see a cyclist riding on the shoulder against traffic. This idiot was on a nice looking road bike, bike jersey, shorts, helmet, the whole nine yards. I called the non-emergency number to report this. Not only is this illegal but it is very unsafe. Granted he was on the shoulder which gets very narrow on the bridges he'd have to cross. And further up from where we saw him the exit entrance ramps are the combination style. Where traffic can take the exit & on the same lane/ramp traffic can get on the interstate. A great way to get sandwhiched between 2 cars going highway speeds. This was also as the sun was setting as well. He was not that visable.

Call me a busy body if you'd like but this was pure dangerous stupidity. We took the north bound side home. Did not see him, so hopefully an officer got him off of the interstate.
Why didn't you call the cops on the guy in the SUV that told you to get on the sidewalk and stalked you? Darwin will take care of the wrong way cyclist and calling the cops just reinforces in the cops minds that cyclists are ALL law breakers and further erodes our image.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-21-06, 07:42 AM
savage24

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
I don't usually agree with N C, but I will this time. Good call. You may have saved another motorist a lot of emotional trama.

Five years ago this week (I remember because it was a few days before RAGBRAI), I nearly hit a suicidal woman walking on the interstate at night - scared the crap out of me! I was shaken up for a couple of days. Some poor soul behind me did hit her and his windshield was caved in right in front of the drivers seat. The other day there was a guy hit and killed walking against traffic in the road. The news said police had received a call about him and were on their way when they got another call that he had been hit.
It ain't no fun re-living the sight of some dumbass splattered on your windshield when you close your eyes and try to sleep at night.
Old 07-21-06, 07:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Why didn't you call the cops on the guy in the SUV that told you to get on the sidewalk and stalked you? Darwin will take care of the wrong way cyclist and calling the cops just reinforces in the cops minds that cyclists are ALL law breakers and further erodes our image.
I suspect that the OP thinks playing the role of the "good cyclist" and sic'ing the police on the Untermensch cyclists will boost his own standing amongst those who dislike all cyclists, "good" or not. Doesn't work.

To answer another poster; cycling on the shoulder of the Interstate in some states is legal; or at least it was when I bike commuted on I-80N (now I-84) in the late 70's near Hermiston OR. There was no such thing as wrong way cycling on the shoulder, though going in the same direction as traffic is certainly easier on the eyes in the dark and creates less intense wind turbulence.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-21-06 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-21-06, 07:48 AM
savage24

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aside, are bikes allowed on certain sections of Interstate in the West?
flipped - I have no first-hand knowledge but I seem to remember reading that in some places where there are no other suitable roads for cyclist that it is allowed.
Old 07-21-06, 08:02 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by savage24
flipped - I have no first-hand knowledge but I seem to remember reading that in some places where there are no other suitable roads for cyclist that it is allowed.
South Dakota is a state where cyclists are legally allowed to ride on the interstate. There are very few secondary roads with services between towns.

As far as I know a cyclist is not allowed to ride on any of Iowa's interstates or roadways with minimum posted speed limits.
Old 07-21-06, 08:05 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Aside, are bikes allowed on certain sections of Interstate in the West?
Yes they are. My commute includes a small section of Interstate 5. It is allowed and it is the only way to get there.

Other areas where the Interstate is the only road, bicycles are also allowed.
Old 07-21-06, 08:08 AM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Nevada, we had to ride on the 1-80 if we wanted to get west out of Reno and it was legal.

OP, did you ever stop to consider this person may have gotten on the interstate going the right way and then decided it was a bad idea and he/she wanted to get off and was heading back to the nearest exit?

Probably not.
Old 07-21-06, 08:10 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDub
In Nevada, we had to ride on the 1-80 if we wanted to get west out of Reno and it was legal.

OP, did you ever stop to consider this person may have gotten on the interstate going the right way and then decided it was a bad idea and he/she wanted to get off and was heading back to the nearest exit?

Probably not.
Doesn't matter. He never should have got on the interstate. I doubt it anyway. He was close to an exit & heading away from it. If he was heading back the way he came why did ne not take the exit he was closest to?
Old 07-21-06, 08:25 AM
Oxymoron
Poky

Bikes: 1999/2000 Rans Rocket - red, of course, and a forest green 2001 Specialized Expedition w/ 2" slicks, fenders and Jaand baskets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People still routinely bike on I-84 in Oregon. This is through the Columbia River Gorge - it is by far the flattest way past Mt. Hood. The alternative would be to bike the highway over the mountain in the road with the trucks. On I-84 at least there is a paved shoulder, although sometimes you are pinned in between a wall and traffic with not much room. I saw some tourers and racers, but a lot of apparently homeless with everything they owned on their bike. Bikers seemed to go with traffic. You can park on the shoulder there too to go hiking.

There are no interchanges to deal with on that stretch. I would hate to bike past one of those. The law says on on-off ramps you have to follow the ramp off and then back on for your own safety. I like that they allow people to bike on the interstate because I think that even with the higher speeds, having a paved shoulder is safer. We have NO paved shoulders in Iowa, even on many divided highways, except I-80 and that is illegal to ride on. It is the exhaust from the constant stream of vehicles that would bug me on a busy interstate.

That is a tough call about reporting a wrong-way rider. Good to get them off the road, but it does attract the attention of cops - some of whom want to help, some who want to harrass. I hate seeing all the drunks who lost their licenses tootling around town riding up the middle of the lane the wrong way. They wont even get out of the way for other cyclists. I dont bother calling the local small town cops because they are related to, or friends with, everybody and will not enforce ANY laws EVER (unless you aint from around here) - thus stop signs, seat belts and child restraints are optional here. There is nothing like living in a town with 85 year old drivers blowing every stop sign despite the fact you are entering the intersection on your bike with the right-of-way - but I am digressing.

I apologize for the lack of apostrophes but when I use one on my replies I get a search screen - WTH?

-Clay
Old 07-21-06, 08:36 AM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
Doesn't matter. He never should have got on the interstate. I doubt it anyway. He was close to an exit & heading away from it. If he was heading back the way he came why did ne not take the exit he was closest to?
Sure it matters. Would you like it if you made a mistake and in the midst of trying to correct that mistake, were harrassed by the police because someone thought it was their civic duty to tell on you? I myself (and I'm sure several of us has), have made mistakes on a bike wrt ending up on a dangerous road, simply because I was unfamiliar with the area.
BTW, why did it matter that they were on nice bike and in full gear? I sense a bias here...
Old 07-21-06, 08:51 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He may be in full kit, but he's not all there, ya know? Every cyclist that I've seen on Interstates has been pulled over by cops here in the Northeast. Aside, are bikes allowed on certain sections of Interstate in the West?
Its the same every where. Where ever theres a residence on a apparant interstate its legal to ride or walk. Youll generaly see such areas in older cities or parts of cities. Here theres a stretch of interstate 21 that is like this. Theres a half dozen or so homes along a 2 or 3 miles stretch that have been their sence before the interstate was put through.

Speed go from 55/65 to 45/55 and it goes from typical highway/interstate of 2 lanes each direction to one per direction. It still has the typical break down lanes making it alot wider than a typical main road infact its nearly 4 lane widths.

Its realy quite plesent to ride on. Haveign a full lane to your self on a bike can sure be lots of fun stay a little right of center useing say first 3rd of the lane and you can have cars passign you at 60mph with like 10 foot of clearance heh.
Old 07-21-06, 08:56 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
From what you describe im guessing this isnt a rare section of interstate with homes that have drive ways leading on to it. On these rare stretches its legal to ride bikes on them but no where else. Generaly they are clasified as routes like interstate 21 goes from interstate to route down south of me about 20ish miles do to some very old homes that are there. Speed drops acordingly. Personaly i try to avoid roads where the speed limit is 55 or above. More often than not theres a better and often times faster route to where im going so why risk my neck on a 55 mph road when i can take the 35 mph one where ill be doign 25+ on the long flat/downhill.

The guy you reported was foolish to ride there unless he had no other choice. In full kit its obvious he did not just break down in his car and was going to get gas or some such.
Old 07-21-06, 08:59 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sure it matters. Would you like it if you made a mistake and in the midst of trying to correct that mistake, were harrassed by the police because someone thought it was their civic duty to tell on you? I myself (and I'm sure several of us has), have made mistakes on a bike wrt ending up on a dangerous road, simply because I was unfamiliar with the area.
BTW, why did it matter that they were on nice bike and in full gear? I sense a bias here...
If it was a mistake, the guy was off the road and long gone before the cops got there... if it was intentional, for whatever reason, the cops would have issued him a warning or ticket, and educated him on why what he was doing was so stupid.

Either way, the OP did the right thing.

If it had been someone driving a car the wrong way on the interstate would you have a problem calling the police to report it? I think not.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 07-21-06, 09:13 AM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad analogy. A car takes up a whole lot more space and goes way faster. If you think this was justified that's cool, but I hope you've got the non-emergency # on speed dial since the last time I checked, there's a whole lotta people driving faster than the speed limit on the interstates...
Old 07-21-06, 09:23 AM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally think that there should be road signs. Perhaps a few "Share the Road", "Bicyclists must ride on the right" type signs.
Old 07-21-06, 09:53 AM
chocula

Bikes: '79 Peugeot UE8, '89 Schwinn Mesa Runner, '79 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
"Bicyclists must ride on the right" type signs.
I like this one:

Old 07-21-06, 10:01 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bad analogy. A car takes up a whole lot more space and goes way faster. If you think this was justified that's cool, but I hope you've got the non-emergency # on speed dial since the last time I checked, there's a whole lotta people driving faster than the speed limit on the interstates...
And you called MY example a bad analogy???? What the **** does a car speeding have to do with a cyclist riding the wrong way on a road he's not supposed to be on?
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 07-21-06, 10:27 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
From what you describe im guessing this isnt a rare section of interstate with homes that have drive ways leading on to it. On these rare stretches its legal to ride bikes on them but no where else. Generaly they are clasified as routes like interstate 21 goes from interstate to route down south of me about 20ish miles do to some very old homes that are there. Speed drops acordingly. Personaly i try to avoid roads where the speed limit is 55 or above. More often than not theres a better and often times faster route to where im going so why risk my neck on a 55 mph road when i can take the 35 mph one where ill be doign 25+ on the long flat/downhill.

The guy you reported was foolish to ride there unless he had no other choice. In full kit its obvious he did not just break down in his car and was going to get gas or some such.

No this is not a rare section of interstate. 55 to 65 mph, an average of 40,000 vehicles a day use it. There were plenty of other choices. Granted they involve going north then back to the south to get to the down town area. I realize he may not be from this area & not familiar with where he can ride. But common sense should have told him to ask directions or buy a damn map.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.