Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training twice a day

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Training twice a day

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 07:29 PM
poxpower
some guy

Bikes: yes sure do

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training twice a day

Anyone does it?

I tried today and it was great. 30 miles in the morning, 12 miles with climbs in the evening. Felt strong on the second ride, even better than if that had been my first ride of the day.

What does that mean? Not going hard enough on the first one? Or is it normal since I rested for a few hours in between? I rode harder on each ride than if I had done the whole distance in one go, but maybe that just means the effort was too low?

How am I supposed to feel anyway? Pros train like 12-15 hours a week, practically every day, so I can't imagine it's like weight training where you're super sore the next day...

In any case, I feel really good right now.
Old 08-26-11, 08:11 PM
beezaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride multiple times in the day (self-employed) and almost always feel stronger on the second ride.

One of the things to watch doing multiple rides is refueling. You need to take in a lot of carbs, like several hundred calories worth every hour, depending on how many calories you are burning.

If you eat well between rides compared to before the first that might have something to do with it. In my case my metabolism is slow to get going. I'm not sure if that is a nutrition thing or just the way my body is. Whether or not that matters depends on what you are training for. I'm training for old age, so for me, it doesn't matter.

Training every day you don't want to do the same thing or you will overtrain. Just what you should do depends on what your goals are, i.e., what kind of riding you want to get good at. There are lots of specific training programs to look into for accomplishing different goals.

You you feel afterward will depend on what that day's training calls for.

Lots of references will get into nutrition and tell you that you need so many scoops of this and so many bars of that at certain times to maximize your training. That will work (at substantial expense) but you will never learn much about nutrition and how to eat doing that. Getting a good nutrition book, like Nancy Clark's, will teach you how you should eat. It gives you the same benefit as the engineered foods but more cheaply and is much healthier.

I feel like nutrition is at least a third of training. You have to know how to train, but you also have to know how to eat. Putting lawn mower gas in a race car isn't going to win any races.
Old 08-26-11, 08:34 PM
poxpower
some guy

Bikes: yes sure do

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have a fairly decent handle on nutrition. I eat probably 3000-3500 calories a day now, maybe 1-1.5 grams protein per pound and nothing fancy except whey protein powder. That stuff tastes awesome. I get most of my protein from legumes / chicken / ground beef / tuna / salmon and most of my carbs from vegetables / legumes and oatmeal. Tasty tasty oatmeal. I can't eat enough oatmeal in a day.

I eat a ton all throughout the day. I'd say I eat 7-8 times a day now. Riding on a full stomach is pretty bad so I don't know about all that eating in between rides : O Would it be better to eat a decent amount right after that first ride, and then a little bit before the second and then a lot again after that one?

Don't really eat anything on the bike except orange juice with salt now... Haven't noticed much of a difference with that anyway, even on longer (3-4h) rides. I guess I'm not hardcore enough yet.
Old 08-26-11, 11:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
There's also the concept known as Doubling:
https://www.scienceofrunning.com/2009...aining-in.html
https://www.nutrifit.co.uk/Conference...ete%20high.pdf

So maybe not recovering nutritionally between workouts is actually better, as long as you have a whole day to recover afterwards.