Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'm a fat bastard looking for a steel ride

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-11-21, 03:12 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Bikes: Junk with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Former athlete who has taken his "I don't care about life anymore" knocks, I've put on some pounds over the years. Well, happy to report I've regained that "I do care now" myopia and want to get back into riding hard again. I've got like 60-70-80 pounds I need to lose. Yeah, yeah. Keep the fat jokes to yourself because it wasn't that long ago I was on the other side making them with you. Point is -- I'm still athletic to alter course and can be sickly intense and obsessed when it comes to commitment towards my goal.

So in a nutshell, I'm buying a steel bike and since I enjoy long distance (90-95% pavement) riding and could give a rip about being in a 'racer' position -- a touring bike seems ideal. Right? Well I don't want some tank either so a light or credit card touring bike seems ideal? Sure. Only problem is such marketing gimmicks ten years ago when I bought my last touring elite bike have changed. I'm seeing things like 'Adventure' bike and all sorts of things. But it would seem bikes like (no particular branding order here) Surly, Trek, Salsa, and Kona still come into play. There have been several threads in this forum addressing the pros and cons of each. But I'm giving you the opportunity to pipe in and call me a fat bastard -- wait I just said please don't -- ok I'm giving you the opportunity to call me the skinny challenged or equivalent. Ok, I'm really hoping to get your opinions on the best steel bikes out there that can handle a load (me and my 5-10lb) paneers. I seriously doubt I will ever go beyond the 50 miles out and 50 miles back thing so having things like bar end shifters is not a must since my wife could easily find me (save your wife jokes AND fat jokes please). What probably does matter is the lower end (or granny) gears for some hill climbing this area is notorious for. Again more evidence pointing towards a 'touring' or 'adventure' or 'steel' bike that meets the requirement of handling weight, a sturdy ride, a more upright position, and pannier bags to stuff things in there for good Lord who knows what.

Thoughts? Opinions? Fat bas--- err skinny challenged?
Old 04-11-21, 03:29 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
You refer to yourself as “fat“ about a dozen times, and you seem to think that this should drive the bike recommendations – but you don’t tell us how much you weigh…?

You mentioned some good brands - Surly and Kona in particular have plenty of steel framed bikes that will suit you. Just start looking at them. Sounds like you’ve bought a decent bike before, you understand the gearing options. What do you need to know from this forum?

Last edited by Koyote; 04-11-21 at 03:33 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-11-21, 03:42 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There are plenty of touring rigs out there, and other variations on the touring or light touring theme. I ride a 2012 Salsa Casserol, though I have changed out the wheels on it twice now. Back in 2012 only Salsa and its QBP sister brand Surly made this type of bike. These days, almost all the big and small brands make this type of bike. Some call it an adventure bike, others a gravel bike, bike packing bike. And of course, if you want something really sturdy, the Surly Long Haul Trucker and Trek 520 are still in production. I am pretty certain the Casserol is out of production, but I believe the Vaya is still in production. All City, another QBP brand makes the Space Horse. Kona makes the Sutra, as well as the Rove. Jamis makes the Renegade. Fairdale makes a bike called the Weekender.
This is not an exhaustive list. I am sure you can find other nice bikes out there.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-11-21 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-11-21, 03:55 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Why not oversized aluminum?

Cannondales - new or used have all kinds of options that would be perfectly robust for even the heaviest of riders. For maximum durability, having custom wheels built is where I would put a good percentage of my budget...
Likes For masi61:
Old 04-11-21, 03:58 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
As mentioned already, if you share how fat you are, people may make some good suggestions.

I get the impression you are only a little fat. In that case, you have a lot of options.

If you are really heavy, you might break bikes, and need to have a strong bike, particularly strong wheels.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-11-21, 04:39 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Jamis Renegade should be on that list.
Old 04-11-21, 04:51 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 183 Posts
I weigh about 240 and I am 6'2". I have ridden plenty of steel bikes in large sizes over the years. I think you have lots of options. If you are interested in older steel bikes, check out the Classic and Vintage forums. You can get a lot of recommendations there.
Old 04-11-21, 04:55 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Anatolia.....have you looked in the Clydesdales/Athenas (200+lb/91+kg) threads?
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 04-11-21, 05:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
This is an easy one. Get a Richey Outback. Well into the comfort zone but has going fast in its heart. Steel. Only a touch heavier than the svelte Swiss Cross V2 it shares some DNA with.

Not a gas pipe heavy pig like so many of the "touring" setups.

Gear it at 2x11, 46/30 front and 11-36 rear. GRX 600 with an aftermarket crank set basically. Sram Rival or Force 1x can shift 11-46, even if they say that 42 is the top. So 40x11-46 would also work but might leave you between gears depending on how sensitive to that kind of thing you are.

Start with slick or file tread 38-40mm tires, the bike can go more or less depending on how that first set of tires feels for you.

It'll weigh around 22lbs and cost around $3000.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-11-21, 05:33 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
6'2" is definitely fat as defined by BMI >25, it's getting in the lower but truly obese territory so not good for your health. That said it's really good you are thinking of taking a turn for the better. At 240lbs a lot of bikes are available to you. The good news is that bikes are WAY over-rated in terms of weight. I mean I wouldn't buy a bike rated up to 160lbs but I learned this recently having helped a friend who is 6'2" but 305lbs who wanted to change his game after a mutual friend died and he got scared staring down his 50th birthday. At 305lbs the options are truly limited. So we called around a bunch of shops and companies and here is what I learned in a nutshell.

Most bikes will still be mostly OK. The wear will be faster the heavier the rider. That said whatever the factory max weight for the bike is, let's say for my friend we found the Salsa Journeyman Flat Bar Claris 700 was 300lbs. Salsa (and every other manufacturer I contacted) told me they arrive at this by taking the max weight forces the bike is rated to accept and dividing it by four. So a bike that is rated for a 300lbs rider is really made to withstand 1,200 given the forces of acceleration, decelration, jumps and bumps on the road. So if you're starting out riding with the intention of making a total lifestyle change whose objective is to lose weight you're probably OK as long as you don't pick a truly "skinny" bike.

What I mean is that when you start out, you are not going to be very good. You will be out of shape and slow so the forces on your bike, despite your "fat" weight, will be less overall. As you improve you will be hopefully losing weight as your lifestyle changes take effect but by the time you are performing at a higher level that will tax the bike your weight will have dropped. So unless you buy something truly fragile and stick with gravel, hybrids mountain or general all purpose steel bikes even of the department store variety that aren't total junk you will probably be fine and as you lose weight and your capabilities increase the problem will take care of itself.

As always it pays to contact the manufacturer and ask them specifically what the max rider weight is and proceed accordingly. That's what I did for my close friend and we learned a lot. I suggest you do the same.
Likes For Attilio:
Old 04-11-21, 08:30 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Anatolia, at 6'2", 240 lb is not exactly fat anymore. Losing 60 lb would put you at about the minimum you would want to be at. My brother is 6'3" and 335 lbs He Shreks most bikes but does fine on a steel fat bike. It should be easy to find a bike that will work at your weight. Here I was thinking 350+ pounds.
Old 04-11-21, 08:44 PM
NRissy
Bike-train

Bikes: Santana Encore Tandem, Trek 3900, Marin MTB, Marin Road bike.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
About any steel frame would be fine; most are way over engineered. The big thing would be tires; if you are worried about them holding up; buy tandem rims and tires. A standard tandem team can be 400lbs+ and no one in the tandem world thinks twice about that.
Old 04-11-21, 09:03 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I’m 6’4” 270#.

I ride a Jamis Renegade for road and light gravel and trail , 1x11 SRAM Apex 1, drop bars.

I ride a salsa Fargo with 2.8” wide tires for mostly off-road, bikepacking, single track and rougher stuff. 1x12 Shimano SLX flat bars.

I’d recommend either one to you.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 04-11-21, 11:26 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Anatolia
Former athlete who has taken his "I don't care about life anymore" knocks, I've put on some pounds over the years. Well, happy to report I've regained that "I do care now" myopia and want to get back into riding hard again. I've got like 60-70-80 pounds I need to lose. Yeah, yeah. Keep the fat jokes to yourself because it wasn't that long ago I was on the other side making them with you. Point is -- I'm still athletic to alter course and can be sickly intense and obsessed when it comes to commitment towards my goal.

So in a nutshell, I'm buying a steel bike and since I enjoy long distance (90-95% pavement) riding and could give a rip about being in a 'racer' position -- a touring bike seems ideal. Right? Well I don't want some tank either so a light or credit card touring bike seems ideal? Sure. Only problem is such marketing gimmicks ten years ago when I bought my last touring elite bike have changed. I'm seeing things like 'Adventure' bike and all sorts of things. But it would seem bikes like (no particular branding order here) Surly, Trek, Salsa, and Kona still come into play. There have been several threads in this forum addressing the pros and cons of each. But I'm giving you the opportunity to pipe in and call me a fat bastard -- wait I just said please don't -- ok I'm giving you the opportunity to call me the skinny challenged or equivalent. Ok, I'm really hoping to get your opinions on the best steel bikes out there that can handle a load (me and my 5-10lb) paneers. I seriously doubt I will ever go beyond the 50 miles out and 50 miles back thing so having things like bar end shifters is not a must since my wife could easily find me (save your wife jokes AND fat jokes please). What probably does matter is the lower end (or granny) gears for some hill climbing this area is notorious for. Again more evidence pointing towards a 'touring' or 'adventure' or 'steel' bike that meets the requirement of handling weight, a sturdy ride, a more upright position, and pannier bags to stuff things in there for good Lord who knows what.

Thoughts? Opinions? Fat bas--- err skinny challenged?
I can relate to your situation and dedication to get back to bicycling. Been there also (I was as high as 245 before I retired and made weight loss a priority, and now have to drop the COVID weight.) You may also wish to check out the Clydesdale/Athena Forum on BF.

Since you specced steel, I would recommend you take a look at a new or used Bianchi Volpe. This is a Taiwanese made CroMo butted steel frame that has been in the Bianchi line-up for many years. It has been marketed as a Touring bike, an entry level Cyclocross bike, an All Road bike, and a Gravel bike.

It is a cantilever rim brake equipped bike, although for a few years (2014-2019?) also had a Volpe disc brake model. It has had a number of component packages. Mine has a 2016 Tiagra 10 speed with a triple, but other years have been doubles or triples and currently it is a Sora package with Tektro brakes.

It has relatively short chain stays of 425mm but usually comes with 28mm tires but easily clears 38mm tires. The wheelbase on my 55cm frame is 40” so it is more compact that a full blown loaded tourer like the Surly and or Salsa Marrakesh, but more maneuverable. I have heard that the shorter chainstays can cause heel strikes on some panniers and some with large feet have mentioned toe overlap in turns for very large feet. I use XXL deep toeclips and size 47 (12) shoes with no overlap.

In my experience it is a good climbing frame with no flex even out of the saddle and meets all of my needs for road, light Credit Card touring, and canal towpath and gravel road surfaces. There are plenty of braze on bottle, rack and/or fender mounts. I tend to keep a bike for a long time (rode a 1973 Fuji until 2015) I suspect this one will be a long keeper.

The wheel above are a second set with Velocity Dyad rims for for rougher roads and wider tires.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 04-11-21 at 11:34 PM.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 04-12-21, 05:17 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
You give more of a rip about being on a steel bike to fit in with the touring crowd?

Seriously, why does it have to be a steel bike?
Whenever this topic comes up, I remember a big guy (a tall weightlifter, well over 250 pounds) coming into the bike shop in 1985 who complained that every bike he'd ridden lately felt like "over-cooked spaghetti." Figuring that an aluminum bike might do the job for him, I put him on a Cannondale and sent him out the door for a test ride. He came back 15 minutes later and said, "Sold."

Four or five months later, when he came in for his free tune-up, he told me, "You get any other big guys in here, send them to me. I'll tell them to buy a Cannondale."

Steel bikes are still fine---I have Reynolds 531 and 853 bikes collecting dust in the basement that I keep meaning to clean up so that I can ride them once in a while---but I love my aluminum bikes. Why steel? My guess is internet-driven retro cachet, like vinyl versus digital and tubes versus transistors.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-12-21, 05:56 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by beicster
I weigh about 240 and I am 6'2".
Originally Posted by Attilio
6'2" is definitely fat as defined by BMI >25, it's getting in the lower but truly obese territory so not good for your health.
Originally Posted by KPREN
Anatolia, at 6'2", 240 lb is not exactly fat anymore.
Just thought I would point out that beicster , who is 6'2" and 240 pounds, is not the person who asked for bike recommendations.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-12-21, 06:35 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Just thought I would point out that beicster , who is 6'2" and 240 pounds, is not the person who asked for bike recommendations.
good point
Old 04-12-21, 09:13 AM
force10

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Now I feel like an ******* for not pointing this out...
Old 04-12-21, 09:21 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Breezer has some nice steel rides
Old 04-12-21, 10:10 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by force10
Now I feel like an ******* for not pointing this out...
Huh? Why?

I was merely pointing it out so that people don't waste energy recommending bikes specifically for a person with that height and weight.
Old 04-12-21, 10:13 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I noticed that last night, too. We still don't know if OP is 5'6, 220 lbs or 6'6" and 320 lbs.
Old 04-12-21, 10:15 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by MRT2
I noticed that last night, too. We still don't know if OP is 5'6, 220 lbs or 6'6" and 320 lbs.
Newer users, who've just come to bf, seem to do this -- post a Q, then come back a day (or two or three days) later to check for responses. Which is probably much healthier than those of us who check drop in 50x per day.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-12-21, 10:15 AM
force10

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Huh? Why?

I was merely pointing it out so that people don't waste energy recommending bikes specifically for a person with that height and weight.
You were helpful. I noticed the same problem and didn’t take the time to point it out.
Old 04-12-21, 10:21 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by force10
You were helpful. I noticed the same problem and didn’t take the time to point it out.
I noticed it last night, too, and only pointed it out this morning. So if that makes you a *****, then I'm a ***** too.
Old 04-12-21, 10:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
This is an easy one. Get a Richey Outback. Well into the comfort zone but has going fast in its heart.
They are super cool and I considered an older model for a brief moment, then dropped it hard since the tire clearance was a joke and the geometry apparently fits up to about 6' or so.
The XL frame has 606mm of stack and 396mm of reach.

I understand when generic china built carbon frames only go up to 590mm or so, but Ritchey not selling anything over a 610mm stack height gravel/adventure bike seems like a big miss for market share. They have said there isnt a big enough market for a larger frame, but pretty much every other brand seems to disagree.

Anyways, 606mm of stack and 396mm of reach doesnt scream 'relaxed' or 'touring' and it definitely seems to lean closer to 'racer position' which is what the OP doesnt want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.