Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 06-29-22, 08:15 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Did he verify you see-thru shorts?

I never heard any complaints, but come to think of it, he did seem more eager to pull than usual.
Old 06-29-22, 08:17 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I was about 1 click away from ordering an Ultegra Di2 group set this week, but now see components of the new 105 Di2 showing up on websites. Hmmm....

I cant remember are you rim or disc? I call dibs on your old group set.
Old 06-29-22, 08:29 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9518 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I cant remember are you rim or disc? I call dibs on your old group set.
All disc, baby.

If I ever change it, I would likely move the mechanical 105 I now have to my wife's bike which just has Tiagra.

Or something.
Old 06-29-22, 08:36 AM
bampilot06

All disc, baby.

If I ever change it, I would likely move the mechanical 105 I now have to my wife's bike which just has Tiagra.

Or something.

Thats fine i’ll buy the tiagra to put on my wife bike. You are not getting out of this that easily.
Old 06-29-22, 09:17 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
4 going on 16.
My wife, her brother and I were discussing the screaming toddler last evening. Her brother and I, who have never been around babies, had the strongest opinions. Possibly not the most constructive.
I hear him screaming downstairs as I write this.
Old 06-29-22, 09:22 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Wordle 375 5/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

as my youngest would say- so G’annoying
Old 06-29-22, 09:26 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Got home yesterday afternoon and was relaxing on the back deck with the cat. The kid two doors down started throwing a tantrum, screaming “I don’t want to go outside!” (She was already outside.) This went on for a good 5 minutes until who I think was a nanny brought her back in. It was odd because both their kids are usually well behaved. I am pretty sure it was a nanny because the adult had a European accent.

Another couple whose house looked onto mine had a kid who would often throw tantrums in the morning. I used to think about what dealing with that most mornings would be like while enjoying my morning coffee. They moved maybe a year ago.
Shortly before his brother was born, Mrs. GJ and I took The Older Boy (2 1/2 year old then) to the Mall. I took him to the toy store while Mrs. GJ shopped. He was OBSESSED with trains, so the place with the Brio train set for kids to play with was a favorite. One day we went there and he saw what was at the time, for him, THE WORLD'S GREATEST POSSIBLE TOY. It was a toy steam engine, that had a button you could push to make the wheels turn, smoke come out of the stack and it would make a "whoo-whoo" whistle and chugging sound. The boxes were open on the front, with the button labeled "Try Me". He stood there for at least 10 minutes pushing that button.

Mrs. GJ came back, and we agreed that while we did want to get that toy for him at some point, it would be best for him not to get everything he wanted when he wanted it. When I told him it was time to go and we weren't going to buy the toy that day, he literally grabbed the box and RAN toward the cashier. When we made it clear we weren't going to cave, he had a HUGE meltdown. I ended up carrying him, all the way through the mall, with him crying "Go backwards!" He was still going when we got home, and for a good half hour after.

I can't recall any more meltdowns as bad as that one. But it did make me think - every person we passed let us walk out of the mall with a screaming child. That was NOT a comforting thought.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-29-22, 09:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I never heard any complaints, but come to think of it, he did seem more eager to pull than usual.
On a schedule to get back for family fun - can't dawdle at 23mph on the flats.
Old 06-29-22, 09:52 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

My one task for the day, other than cooking breakfast, is saddle adjustment. The nose needs to come up some. Selle Anatomic.
Old 06-29-22, 09:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Man...
Wordle 375 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Old 06-29-22, 09:56 AM
seedsbelize2

It's such a treat to be in a place where I can jump on the bike and ride 35 miles without a second thought. That number was once 50. Hopefully it will be again.
​​​​​​#bewarecomplacency
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 06-29-22, 10:02 AM
Mojo31
-------

Thats fine i’ll buy the tiagra to put on my wife bike. You are not getting out of this that easily.
Did you get a bike fit when you got the Madone? If so, what type and what were your impressions?
Old 06-29-22, 10:09 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by WhyFi
On a schedule to get back for family fun - can't dawdle at 23mph on the flats.

Thats it, I’m buying a speed sensor.
Old 06-29-22, 10:16 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12632 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
It's such a treat to be in a place where I can jump on the bike and ride 35 miles without a second thought. That number was once 50. Hopefully it will be again.
​​​​​​#bewarecomplacency
I'm trying to get back to a flat metric being no big deal. The 44 yesterday felt pretty easy so I'm almost there. I'm thinking late August would be a good time to hit the Palouse to Cascades Trail, and by then I just need to get to a point where 50-60 miles a day on a loaded fatbike won't kill me
Old 06-29-22, 10:19 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Ours was a delight before and after high school. She was actually pretty good during high school, but really came into her own about half way through college.
I had a coworker who had one of those easy kids for her firstborn. She said she and her husband thought they were the perfect parents, because they'd see other parents out there struggling with their children and think, "Wow, our daughter would NEVER do that! We must be so good at parenting!"

"Then came Luke." Apparently their second child disabused them of the notion of their perfection. Like, completely.

Old 06-29-22, 10:21 AM
bampilot06

Did you get a bike fit when you got the Madone? If so, what type and what were your impressions?

Impressions of the bike fit or impressions of the madone?

I had the manager of trek, who is also a friend of mine, fit me to the madone when it came in. It wasn’t technical like a professional bike fit, but he did take his time and I have not had any issues with pain or discomfort on the madone.

I ordered a 56 and a 58. I can’t remember which came first but they had a 56 in stock and there was no way that was going to work. Even with the extra long mast. On the 58, the one I bought, I have extra long mast at its max height. He thinks I could have gone 61, but I was concerned about the reach. If I ever buy an emonda I might consider a 61.

As far as the bike? I love it. Super smooth, super comfortable. Accelerates fast, corners well. I have not messed with the iso speed at all, but I don’t find bumps in the road any more or any less comfortable than the cervelo. The parkway is a rough riding road, and I think the madone feels better on that road with 28mm then my cervelo with 32mm.

If you are going to get one. I highly recommend doing what I did. Get the Sl6 with shimano di2 and then get the SLR cockpit. It will be cheaper than getting the lowest SLR model and comes with better components.
Old 06-29-22, 10:24 AM
bampilot06

Mojo I completely misread your question. It was a basic bike fit, but I am happy with it for now.

One day I will get a professional bike fit, but I prolly will wait until A. I start having problems or B. I have all the bike stuff I could ever want and now have extra money to spend.

I don’t think B will ever happen.
Old 06-29-22, 10:35 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I posted this in SaturnForums and got a reasonable suggestion, but lemme bounce this off any of the thrifty geezer car guys:

The headliner is sagging and has several holes/tears in it. I don't really care about the aesthetics but it's low enough it's touching my head. Google says a DIY headliner replacement is going to take a few hours and I know it will cause me great frustration, so I am seeking a simpler alternative.

Best idea so far is to take out headliner and paint the backing board with latex paint. Seems practical, any comments?
I'm not 100 certain but it's likely a semi pressed Fiber glass thing with foam and fabric glued to it. Joann fabric sells the foam/fabric material. A couple spray cans of adhesive and a few hours, done. It's not a horrible job. Remove the dome light and sun visors. The plastic trim that holds it in place. I use a stiff brush, gently, to remove the old foam. Spray the backer with glue, and let it dry. Put the new material on it fold it in half back on itself and spray with glue. Let it dry. Slowly, carefully apply the glued section to the backer. Then fold the other half so it's backside is exposed. Apply the glue, let dry and apply the material from the gold to edge slowly and carefully. Trim the excess and reinstall. Look at car forums for more detailed instructions. But it's very doable, I've done quite a few.

Last edited by ls01; 06-29-22 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-29-22, 10:36 AM
Mojo31
-------

Impressions of the bike fit or impressions of the madone?

I had the manager of trek, who is also a friend of mine, fit me to the madone when it came in. It wasn’t technical like a professional bike fit, but he did take his time and I have not had any issues with pain or discomfort on the madone.

I ordered a 56 and a 58. I can’t remember which came first but they had a 56 in stock and there was no way that was going to work. Even with the extra long mast. On the 58, the one I bought, I have extra long mast at its max height. He thinks I could have gone 61, but I was concerned about the reach. If I ever buy an emonda I might consider a 61.

As far as the bike? I love it. Super smooth, super comfortable. Accelerates fast, corners well. I have not messed with the iso speed at all, but I don’t find bumps in the road any more or any less comfortable than the cervelo. The parkway is a rough riding road, and I think the madone feels better on that road with 28mm then my cervelo with 32mm.

If you are going to get one. I highly recommend doing what I did. Get the Sl6 with shimano di2 and then get the SLR cockpit. It will be cheaper than getting the lowest SLR model and comes with better components.
I was wondering about the fitting process. There is a local place that has the Trek Precision Fit stuff, and will do a fit for $100. The Rotul places around here are $300-400. I think I'm pretty well dialed in on my bike, but wouldn't mind a double check for any beneficial tweaks.

I'm still eyeballing the 2021 Emonda SL7 that is available locally for 25% off sticker. If that goes down in price even more, I may try to pretty please the wife more than I have. On the other hand, I still have a wedding to pay for that has snowballed in cost, and I don't "need" another bike.

I do like the one piece bar/stem that they put on the Emonda SLRs, but that is being recalled for some reason, and Trek has asked owners to stop riding with it.

I still really like my Domane, but would like the Di2 on it. I've done a lot of upgrades to it, have it down to about 20 lbs with pedals, cages, tool roll, etc., and it rides really nicely. Don't want to get rid of it.

If I get another bike, it would be to get a lighter bike, and I'd get rid of the hybrid since I don't use it much anymore.

Not in the market for a Madone.
Old 06-29-22, 10:38 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by ls01
I'm kot 100 certain but it's likely a semi pressed Fiber glass thing with foam and fabric glued to it. Joann fabric sells the foam/fabric material. A couple spray cans of adhesive and a few hours, done. It's not a horrible job. Remove the dome light and sun visors. The plastic trim that holds it in place. I use a stiff brush, gently, to remove the old foam. Spray the backer with glue, and let it dry. Put the new material on it fold it in half back on itself and spray with glue. Let it dry. Slowly, carefully apply the glued section to the backer. Then fold the other half so it's backside is exposed. Apply the glue, let dry and apply the material from the gold to edge slowly and carefully. Trim the excess and reinstall. Look at car gorums for more detailed instructions. But it's very doable, I've done quite a few.
You are not helping Mrs. Datlas get the Miata she wants. SMH
Old 06-29-22, 10:49 AM
bampilot06

I was wondering about the fitting process. There is a local place that has the Trek Precision Fit stuff, and will do a fit for $100. The Rotul places around here are $300-400. I think I'm pretty well dialed in on my bike, but wouldn't mind a double check for any beneficial tweaks.

I'm still eyeballing the 2021 Emonda SL7 that is available locally for 25% off sticker. If that goes down in price even more, I may try to pretty please the wife more than I have. On the other hand, I still have a wedding to pay for that has snowballed in cost, and I don't "need" another bike.

I do like the one piece bar/stem that they put on the Emonda SLRs, but that is being recalled for some reason, and Trek has asked owners to stop riding with it.

I still really like my Domane, but would like the Di2 on it. I've done a lot of upgrades to it, have it down to about 20 lbs with pedals, cages, tool roll, etc., and it rides really nicely. Don't want to get rid of it.

If I get another bike, it would be to get a lighter bike, and I'd get rid of the hybrid since I don't use it much anymore.

Not in the market for a Madone.
Dont know about the recall. But the new SLR cockpit is 2 piece not one. I imagine it would work with that emonda you want.
Old 06-29-22, 10:51 AM
ls01
he said member

You are not helping Mrs. Datlas get the Miata she wants. SMH
I did not receive my bribe, not my fault
Old 06-29-22, 10:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Dont know about the recall. But the new SLR cockpit is 2 piece not one. I imagine it would work with that emonda you want.

There have apparently been some failures.
Old 06-29-22, 11:04 AM
ls01
he said member

I made a stem change and seat reposition on the new bike last night. I am putting too much pressure on my hands. So I went to a 100mm stem from 110mm. And moved the seat back over an inch, it was too far forward by .5 an inch to begin with. The geometry on this bike is quite different compared to the other bikes. This should get me closer to a standard fit over the b.b. Being to far forward would also explain the bit of knee pain I get on that bike too. We will see tomorrow.
Old 06-29-22, 11:10 AM
bampilot06

There have apparently been some failures.

That is not what I have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.