Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Star-Ratchet vs Pawls and Springs

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Star-Ratchet vs Pawls and Springs

Old 01-08-23, 12:37 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
That is not accurate. I have a freehub and ratchet ring in my hands and when I slide the ratchet ring on the freehub I can clearly see more than one of them is engaged.
Engaged? But does does more than one pawl transmit torque? Jobst Brandt, a mechanical engineer and someone to be trusted on any subject bike-related, enlightens:

Freewheel pawls (Jobst Brandt) (yarchive.net)

Shimano, a manufacturer who is large enough to have engineers on staff understands this, and designs their freewheels and freehubs so that each single pawl is robust enough to support full rider torque.

This begs the question as to whether the small-fry boutique vendors, who are pandering to consumers with the game of one-upmanship marketing (like makers of food blenders: we need more speeds! We need more pawls, and 'points of engagement!') assume that the rider-delivered torque is spread among more than one pawl, and therefore undersize each pawl. Not a good assumption: I trust Shimano's judgement on this.
Old 01-08-23, 01:38 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Engaged? But does does more than one pawl transmit torque? Jobst Brandt, a mechanical engineer and someone to be trusted on any subject bike-related, enlightens:

Freewheel pawls (Jobst Brandt) (yarchive.net)

Shimano, a manufacturer who is large enough to have engineers on staff understands this, and designs their freewheels and freehubs so that each single pawl is robust enough to support full rider torque.

This begs the question as to whether the small-fry boutique vendors, who are pandering to consumers with the game of one-upmanship marketing (like makers of food blenders: we need more speeds! We need more pawls, and 'points of engagement!') assume that the rider-delivered torque is spread among more than one pawl, and therefore undersize each pawl. Not a good assumption: I trust Shimano's judgement on this.
Having pawls that can take the whole load is smart - because the other pawls might stick and you don't want the one good pawl to shatter just because the grease got sticky.

However, freewheel mechanism have a fair amount of play between the inner and outer parts along the axis of rotation. Because of that, the first pawl to lock doesn't end up bracing between the center axis (the freewheel bearing) and the pawl engagement surface. Instead, the outer shell moves slightly off center until a second pawl engages and then a third. I doubt any pawls after three engage because that is enough of a tripod to lock the location of the outer body to the inner.

So if freewheel mechs had tight bearings, you might be right. But they don't, and that allows the body to deflect until other pawls engage.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-09-23, 02:48 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
My fairweather bike came with a 3 pawl hub. First week of riding the pawls got stuck in the factory grease making the bike unrideable. Bike shop cleaned out the grease and put in some freehub oil making the hubs very loud. After a few months of riding I took the bike in and had broken one of the pawls. Compare this to my heavy steel commuter with star ratchets that are going strong after 10 years of riding in the rain. Especially now that there are some many ratchet options I see no reason to mess around with pawls.
Old 01-09-23, 03:28 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
So dumb question... why are both viable? What are the actual strengths of one variety vs the other? Does it matter at all?
Old 01-09-23, 04:10 PM
ratell

Pawls are cheap. Zipp has them on their 303s and uses a ratchet on all their other models. Now that the patent on the star ratchet has passed more and more wheels are using their own ratchet system, but that takes more than just using a generic pawl hub.
Old 01-09-23, 04:18 PM
ratell

This begs the question as to whether the small-fry boutique vendors, who are pandering to consumers with the game of one-upmanship marketing (like makers of food blenders: we need more speeds! We need more pawls, and 'points of engagement!') assume that the rider-delivered torque is spread among more than one pawl, and therefore undersize each pawl. Not a good assumption: I trust Shimano's judgement on this
I'm confused by this. Shimano uses cup and cone for their hubs.
Old 01-09-23, 04:26 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I assume since there are no pawls to worry about sticking you could add more grease to the star ratchet system to quiet them down?
no I thought so too. but then they stick together and cause skipping and such. they usually require a special grease that wont stick them together.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-09-23, 04:30 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Anyone can do as they please to their own wheels, but in the context of adding more grease to silence the hub, as suggested by Bob, its a hard NO. The DT technical manual clearly warns you to exclusively use the special red DT grease in a thin layer applied with a small brush.

"GEFAHR VERLETZUNGSGEFAHR DURCH EINGESCHRÄNKTE FREILAUFFUNKTION INFOLGE FALSCHER SCHMIERUNG!"

https://www.dtswiss.com/pmt/00/00/00...WEB_DE_001.pdf

Page 14.
I regreased mine and did not Know this. on my commuter I never really noticed a issue. but on our tandem sometime after I did it we had this weird skipping mostly only in 13t cog and only when I was a bit tired and was not putting out as much power as usual. once I did the skipping stopped. it was random. after talking to a higher end bike shop they told me about the grease. it is when you peddle a little off is when the sticking would cause issues. so you may get away with it or you may not.
Old 01-09-23, 04:44 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell
I'm confused by this. Shimano uses cup and cone for their hubs.
While the person you quoted has his sh*t stacked higher than a midwest grain elevator a hubs bearings have nothing to do with it's freehub engagement
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-09-23, 04:49 PM
ratell

While the person you quoted has his sh*t stacked higher than a midwest grain elevator a hubs bearings have nothing to do with it's freehub engagement
I see. It's cup and cone and pawls not cup and cone instead of pawls.
Old 01-09-23, 09:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell
I see. It's cup and cone and pawls not cup and cone instead of pawls.
Yes. The bearings (cup and cone vs cartridge) are unrelated to the freehub mechanism.
Old 01-11-23, 01:07 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You can find someone with a problem with any of the popular hubs. Still the rep of the DT Swiss hubs is the one that seems the most solid. I lately bought a Hope hub instead but it was because I found it on sale. If I’d found a DT 350 Hybrid for $200 I’d have bit hard. The Hybrid is the heavy duty version for E bikes also suitable for tandems and mashing schlubs. Thicker forging and steel freehub body.

I liked the Hope or the DT Hybrid because they both had the same flanges as the Taiwan standard cup and cone hub it replaced. Same length spokes both sides and front and rear and 32h. The regular 350 had uneven lengths and 28h. That’s not a ratchet issue but it was a selling point. But the spokes turned out to be a little chewed up and I replaced them anyhow.
Old 01-13-23, 10:59 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I have used a ton of hubs. I think the DRT 240 and Chris King are my absolute favorites. I have only shredded ONE rear hub and it was a DT350 with 36 teeth. I think it was defective because it happened at mile 4 on that new hub! Onyx is my other favorite for silent coasting but they are heavy for road bikes. I did not like the sound of pawl hubs so I stopped using them. The quality ones seem to be quite durable and I have never had an issue though I know a guy who has shredded a few OEM type of pawl hubs. He uses Chris King now with zero issues. He is a powerful rider and averages 300 watts but usually breaks them on short steep uphills where he probably puts a lot more watts. So it is that sudden burst of power that gets them. As for me, I love the sound of Chris King and the complete silence of Onyx so those will will be on my future builds.
Old 01-26-23, 04:57 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
I have 6 sets of wheels handbuilt with Miche Primato Syntesi hubs, 3 pawl freehubs. Oldest set is about 7 years old, 4 sets between 3 and 5 years old, and 1 set less than 2 years old but very low mileage (less than 1000 miles). The 5 older sets have a cumulative mileage of approx 60K and other than bearing replacement (once on the older hubs iirc) the Miche hubs never had any failures of any type. Freehubs are soft aluminium but if torqued correctly, not a real problem. I do check them over once a year.

That being said, Shimano 600 tricolor (6402) hubs are my favourite. Absolutely love the soft metallic freehub sound on those and the slim and elegant polished hub shells. Not a fan of the chainsaw sounding hubs.
Likes For Schlafen: