Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When do you ride in winter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 10:06 AM
Evanston1957

Bikes: Mosaic RT1, Trek Boone, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in Chicago, and currently it's really cold (15F at the moment but that's the highest it's been in 2 days) but will warm up to my riding temperature (30F or higher) by this weekend. I'm not asking about temperature preference in this thread. Rather, I want to know how much you worry about the melted salted slop that occurs after the warm-up. Do you wait until a rain (which does wonders to clean things), or do you just ride and make sure to clean your drive train?
Old 02-01-23, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Sunny days always make all the other things less important considerations. I wish today was sunny, it'd encourage me to get out and ride today.
Old 02-01-23, 10:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I dont ride outside for 3 months, from December thru February, unless the roads are dry and clear AND it is above 45.
Lower than that? Zwift or other things.
Snow/ice covered? Zwift or other things.

With that said, I am participating in 2 gravel races this month. One is this weekend in Mississippi and the other is in Iowa on the last weekend of the month. If the temps are below 35 or the roads are ice covered, I will DNS and not think twice about sleeping in.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-01-23, 11:20 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 399 Posts
Dry/clear/sunny - anything about 30 degrees.

Damp/overcast/windy - above 40 degrees.

I did a metric a few weeks ago, 36-38 degrees, windy, damp, even with some drizzle - nope, wont do that again.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-01-23, 11:33 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Evanston1957
I'm in Chicago, and currently it's really cold (15F at the moment but that's the highest it's been in 2 days) but will warm up to my riding temperature (30F or higher) by this weekend. I'm not asking about temperature preference in this thread. Rather, I want to know how much you worry about the melted salted slop that occurs after the warm-up. Do you wait until a rain (which does wonders to clean things), or do you just ride and make sure to clean your drive train?
I don’t care about the slop as long as there isn’t active snow on the road mixed with sand /salt. Whether dry or wet, stuff gets salty- I just wash my bike after every outdoor ride in the winter. Bucket of hot soapy water and a garden sprayer works fine
Old 02-01-23, 12:37 PM
Evanston1957

Bikes: Mosaic RT1, Trek Boone, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you re-lube the chain after you wash every time?
Old 02-01-23, 12:58 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I use wet lube for wet riding condition and I do not re-lube after every wash. I hate it because it gets all gunky, but it stays there longer. Water (cleaning) shouldn't affect it. However, salt and debris may.
Old 02-01-23, 01:16 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
I never ride my good bikes in winter, I have a dedicated beater for when the roads get sloppy.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 02-01-23, 02:07 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by Evanston1957
Do you re-lube the chain after you wash every time?
No- but I’m a waxer. I do clean the chains in extremely hot (not boiling) water before redoing the wax in the winter.I also have to do it more frequently in the winter than I would in the summer.

I just use care not to spray the chain and wipe it down so it’s dry after riding.
Old 02-01-23, 02:11 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
I never ride my good bikes in winter, I have a dedicated beater for when the roads get sloppy.
I mad a conscious decision to go to a n=1 solution. I had a road/ summer bike and a winter/gravel bike before but found I only ever grabbed the road bike. To solve it, I bought a gravel bike that’s essentially the same and a second wheel set and sold the other two.
Old 02-01-23, 02:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
If the weather is fair, but the ground is sloppy still, I'll ride it.
A quick detail post ride & swap the chain out for the ready to go one is my process. The cycle repeats itself after each ride under those conditions.
Old 02-01-23, 02:56 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
In Rhode Island, I will ride in all temps as long as there isn’t snow/ice on the roads. I’ll do the cold, but most of the time I really just don’t care for the slop when it’s wet. But…it can be dry in my neighborhood, and then miles away the roads can be wet from melting snow. So occassionally I get back to the house with a sloppy bike. I just rinse it off with a bucket of warm water, and then re-lube as necessary.

Dan
Old 02-01-23, 03:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
What ForceD said, though my low temp for road riding is about 35F. If theres no snow cover, I will mt. bike down to 15-20 or so, the conditions when frozen are terrific. I do 3 days per week on the mt. bike usually.
Old 02-01-23, 04:21 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
The planets must be alignment - temperature, sun, wind. Any variable can keep me indoors. 35 degrees and sun with no wind, I'm out there. 40, cloudy, no wind, I'll ride. 45, cloudy, more than 12 mph wind. Nope.
Old 02-01-23, 07:24 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
The trick to riding in cold weather is to warm up indoors on a trainer for fifteen minutes or until you get warm, then go for the ride outdoors. It eliminates having to warm up in freezing weather. No matter what age I was, I never liked to exercise outdoors when it goes below 20 degrees F. I don't think it is good for you to do so. I am on the great-lakes so get a lot of riding in freezing weather in as long as the roads are not too wet or slushy. I got tired of covering the bike with salty mud every ride this year already. February will be out of the way soon and in March it will improve, so I will probably be doing more on the mag trainer than usual over the next six weeks.
Old 02-01-23, 11:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Living in Florida, I don't have to deal with snow\ice but on the rarest of rare situations, but rain is another subject. If the temp is above 45F and sunny, I can deal with it as long as the humidity is low. If it looks like rain, I might attempt it, but won't go far from home, cold rain is a no go for me. Wind also plays a part, wind must be below 20 mph. I left home last weekend and the wind was about 10 at my place, but closer to 20 by the time I got to the beach and it was brutal going down the bridge as it was swinging me all over the place between it and the wind coming off the cars and trucks passing me.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-01-23 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-02-23, 08:10 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I almost never ride if the roads are wet even if that means instead riding when it's colder (IE, below 32). Within reason of course. Sunny and no wind is preferable.
Old 02-02-23, 08:15 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Depending on wind, 20 degrees up. I only ride the streets if the shoulders of the roads are clear of snow and ice. Otherwise, I ride inside the road net of a 400 acre cemetery that's well maintained. I picked up a fat bike this year so I could ride in there, regardless of snow, ice. What a difference from my road bike to the fat.
Old 02-02-23, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
rarely ride roads in winter
I'm mostly on rail trails or in the forest
plenty of cleaning required, anyway
Old 02-03-23, 05:31 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by Gyro
Depending on wind, 20 degrees up. I only ride the streets if the shoulders of the roads are clear of snow and ice. Otherwise, I ride inside the road net of a 400 acre cemetery that's well maintained. I picked up a fat bike this year so I could ride in there, regardless of snow, ice. What a difference from my road bike to the fat.
Same- “feels like” has to be over 15. Actual temp doesn’t matter
Old 02-03-23, 07:42 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Same- “feels like” has to be over 15. Actual temp doesn’t matter
Wind is the biggest problem.
Old 02-03-23, 12:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
Wind is the biggest problem.
Truth! it doesn't take much wind to make you cold, either.

The worst case is after a long climb, when your kit is wet from sweat, and you're coasting downhill. At 40F and 30mph, the wind chill temperature is a frigid 28F.

I'll dig in the trash at the summit for newspaper to stuff under my vest. One time at the top of Mt. Laguna, I got a trash bag from the general store, cut holes in the bottom and wore it as a poncho to descend the Sunrise Highway down to Pine Valley.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-04-23, 01:12 AM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 193 Posts
I live in the desert southwest, so rain or snow are infrequent. Therefore, I more or less never ride when it is wet in anyway, summer or winter. So, things like road salt are not an issue for me.

In the winter I'm fighting cold and wind. Though cold here during the day is mid 30's F. So, not truly cold by northern standards. I do make a point to ride in the early afternoon when it is warmest.

It has to be windy (>15 MPH), raining or snowing, for me not to ride outdoors. I avoid indoor rides if at all possible.
Old 02-04-23, 07:56 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I don't have melted slop to ride through in Northern Colorado. The roads are well plowed and it's so dry that there's no snow left on the roads. I do have to contend with some snow melt water running across the road in a few places, due to piles of snow. My biggest problem is leaving my neighborhood due to a 5% downhill that's heavily shaded and doesn't melt quickly. I walked the last hundred feet to get onto a main road.
Old 02-06-23, 01:04 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
I avoid salted roads as much as possible (wet or dry)

often use a ‘beater’ road bike or hybrid / mountain bike with smooth tires during winter months

but not a fan of riding those or any bikes on salt covered roads (breathing salt dust when cars drive by not fun)

years ago rode a Cannondale with low-end components (RX100) through the winter months (including a freak 6” snow on Halloween day) - the drivetrain was basically trash after that winter ... the hubs did not have good seals - I believe I serviced them twice and they were still junk after that winter ... (RX100 hubs were prob less than $10 at the time - so not exactly a surprise)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.