Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Blank slate advice

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Blank slate advice

Old 04-13-21, 07:03 PM
Redman87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Blank slate advice

I have a Giordana frame, no numbers can be found on the frame. All it has on it is decals and an excel tubing decal. That aside i want to make a single speed non fixie bike. The main use will be putting in lap times on the local green way. Kinda rough but mostly smooth concrete.
The advice i would like will come in parts. My idea is carbon wheels, forks, handle bars, and seatpost. Mainly just for my overall look. But when it comes to the BB, crank, and rear hub combination i am completely lost.I have read many things and my head is kinda spinning.
Sugino, dura ace 7700 or 7600, or campy cranks and bb is where i would like to start. My bike is Italian thread and i have a 7400 bb on hand but it seems that the spindle wont give me a proper chain line.
Basically idk what i am talking about. I just need advice so i dont make a mess of things and spend too much money.
Old 04-14-21, 09:42 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Redman87
I have a Giordana frame, no numbers can be found on the frame. All it has on it is decals and an excel tubing decal. That aside i want to make a single speed non fixie bike. The main use will be putting in lap times on the local green way. Kinda rough but mostly smooth concrete.
The advice i would like will come in parts. My idea is carbon wheels, forks, handle bars, and seatpost. Mainly just for my overall look. But when it comes to the BB, crank, and rear hub combination i am completely lost.I have read many things and my head is kinda spinning.
Sugino, dura ace 7700 or 7600, or campy cranks and bb is where i would like to start. My bike is Italian thread and i have a 7400 bb on hand but it seems that the spindle wont give me a proper chain line.
Basically idk what i am talking about. I just need advice so i dont make a mess of things and spend too much money.
Would love to see the frame. Giordana frames are high quality, some being built by Billato Brothers in Italy. I can relate to wanting some Campagnolo on it to celebrate its heritage.
Old 04-14-21, 10:24 AM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I will post pictures once i hit my quota of post. Yeah campy would be nice but no one really boasts about their track cranks and BBs. But i would for sure be able to get it in Italian thread
Old 04-14-21, 01:32 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I will post pictures once i hit my quota of post. Yeah campy would be nice but no one really boasts about their track cranks and BBs. But i would for sure be able to get it in Italian thread
Or you can post the photos to your gallery and someone can retrieve them and post them. Your choice.
Old 04-14-21, 03:51 PM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Or you can post the photos to your gallery and someone can retrieve them and post them. Your choice.
Well i will give that a try when i get home. To move forward. I could use help on the bb and crank. I have been looking at a dura ace 7700 with the octalink bb. Could i do better or equal too with a campy. If a "better" choice comes to mind i am open to it.
Old 04-15-21, 06:18 PM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

here is the frame
Old 04-24-21, 10:38 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Phil Wood bb, campy cranks...
Likes For mrmb:
Old 04-25-21, 03:29 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't put carbon anything on that bike.
If it's a budget build this is what I would do:

I would get the polished Wabi cranks (they're actually Andel cranks), Wabi calipers and brake levers (they're actually Tektro), and the Wabi drop bars, stem and seatpost. They're all quality components and have no logos on them for a clean look.

Then I would get these wheels:
https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...ed-Single.html

And their discount code:
https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Coupons.html
Old 04-25-21, 07:59 AM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
First of all, I wouldn't put carbon anything on that bike.
If it's a budget build this is what I would do:

I would get the polished Wabi cranks (they're actually Andel cranks), Wabi calipers and brake levers (they're actually Tektro), and the Wabi drop bars, stem and seatpost. They're all quality components and have no logos on them for a clean look.

Then I would get these wheels:
https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...ed-Single.html

And their discount code:
https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Coupons.html
This isn't a budget build. I will be working on this for awhile. First to contemplate and research what parts would work and then save money to buy said part. At the moment im saving for the wheels and that might take a few months. I have 3 (maybe 4) rideable bikes now so no rush. I respect your opinion on not going carbon fiber, but why? Cause i want a light bike and i want carbon looks. If you can tell me why my wants are dumb and i may change. And thank you for the discount code👍
Old 04-25-21, 08:09 AM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
Phil Wood bb, campy cranks...
Dang it just saw this. Those bb are nice, but i scored a Campagnolo Record Pista bb from my friend already. This would be nice with a matching campy crank though.
Old 04-25-21, 08:20 AM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
So since i have my BB now (square taper). What are my optimal cranks given that i want to just pedal out my best times on a paved and bumpy trail. Meaning quick acceleration and hard pedaling. I have read that the Sugino 75 and Miche Primato cranks are nice. I have a suntour suprebe pro on my road commuter and i love it but are their single speeds up to par with the others.
Old 04-25-21, 09:19 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This isn't a budget build. I will be working on this for awhile. First to contemplate and research what parts would work and then save money to buy said part. At the moment im saving for the wheels and that might take a few months. I have 3 (maybe 4) rideable bikes now so no rush. I respect your opinion on not going carbon fiber, but why? Cause i want a light bike and i want carbon looks. If you can tell me why my wants are dumb and i may change. And thank you for the discount code👍
Well when you make a post like this you have to expect to read opinions. And I know I'm not alone in cringing at the thought of carbon wheels and fork on that beautiful lugged steel frame. Especially the fork, you have a nice one already. And sourcing a carbon fork with a one inch steerer might be a task.

Last edited by Lazyass; 04-25-21 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-25-21, 09:36 AM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I like opinions i just need the reason behind it. If carbon is too fragile or if carbon products are for elitists crazies i can see why it might be a bad choice. I have zero experience with carbon. But if its just for your aesthetics opinion i will respectfully decline lol. Plus i will not be getting rid of the forks, never separate fork and frame. I just want to try carbon and this is the only frame that is bare.
Old 04-25-21, 12:28 PM
aniki

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
So since i have my BB now (square taper).
I have read that the Sugino 75 and Miche Primato cranks are nice.
Sugino 75 yes, one of the best in existence. I use the 75 DD2 on two of my bikes. Miche cranks are made of cheese.
If you have the Campag BB then it would certainly make sense to get a Campag Pista crank. They're not all that popular but there's nothing inherently wrong with them. I think many just prefer the looks of others. Personally my favourites are Dura Ace 7710 and SG75.
If carbon is too fragile or if carbon products are for elitists crazies i can see why it might be a bad choice.
There's nothing at all wrong with carbon in the right application and it certainly (usually) isn't fragile. I would ask though, where are you intending on using it on this bike that you think it would be advantageous? Assuming you use a quill stem, you won't get one of those in carbon. Carbon handlebars could offer a minuscule weight saving but won't necessarily offer better comfort than some alloy bars. A carbon seatpost is a possibility but why? You'll likely get an alloy post at a similar weight for less money. Wheels? well if you get custom made track wheels with (relatively) heavy track hubs (as all track hubs are) then most deep section aero carbon rims will still result in a Wheelset no lighter than an alloy version. OK, so you go for shallow carbon rims? no point; they'll be less stiff than alloy.
All my bikes are fixed and I have 60mm deep carbon wheels on two of them but to be honest, I got them because they are wide and I like how they look. They might save me a few seconds on a TT but I sure couldn't care whether they do or don't. Personally I also don't think carbon would look good on that frame nor can I see it being of any advantage.
But hey, it's your bike, do whatever makes you happy....
Likes For aniki:
Old 04-25-21, 02:00 PM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks amigo. I do plan on painting the frame different colors and my draft of it looks good with black/carbon.
l haven't even considered having wheels made. But with all you said it makes me wonder why carbon is even a thing if alloy is just a little behind in weight with a way lower price tag? I do understand that a little bit on the professional level makes a huge difference, but i am no professional. So carbon might not be a good financial choice.

With that, I got caught up at a swap meet and came out with an Alpha Q threadless fork, a carbon bar with levers and stem. I suck at control sometimes. It does make me happy though to try new things especially when it comes to bikes. If these choices end up sucking then ill cannibalize the parts and make it a campagnolo 7400 road bike. 😜

Last edited by Redman87; 04-25-21 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-26-21, 06:31 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I cannot wait to see you go headset shopping
Old 04-26-21, 07:19 AM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
I cannot wait to see you go headset shopping
Dude you know it. Thankfully i was with my buddy that owns a LBS and we got emails out to some distributor. Looks like Canes Creek 40/ maybe 110. The thing is we cant get a full headset. A piece here a piece there. But its funny that even the emails from the reps are like "the systems shows it in but thats no guarantee". Stupid covid production runs

Last edited by Redman87; 04-26-21 at 07:23 AM.