Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tuebeless vs TPU tubes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tuebeless vs TPU tubes

Old 01-20-23, 11:32 AM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The primary flats from hitting potholes is pinch flats which don't exist with tubeless, so tubeless is better in that regard. Most of the examples here are hitting a pothole and tearing the tire which is bad no matter what you are using. At that point it's a bit of dumb luck. Most of the time anything big enough that the sealant can't seal will leave whatever tube you are using very vulnerable to a flat the next time your ride over something unless you stop and put in a boot.

My understanding of rolling resistance is that latex tubes are actually the best but delicate. Tubeless is close to latex and more robust. TPU is worse rolling resistance but still better than butyl tubes. www.bicyclerollingresistance.com has tests for all the various configurations.
Old 01-20-23, 02:36 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
My order of 20 Ridenow TPU tubes arrived yesterday. It was $142.56 for 20 tubes and 2 patch kits so about $7/tube. It arrived in 8 days with free shipping from a seller on Aliexpress. My friends want to try them so I ordered for them.

3 tubes and a Park GP-2 patch kit (which supposedly works according to a poster in another TPU thread on this forum) weigh the same as the butyl tube I carry in my saddle bag.

Are they hard to install? Have you used this brand before? I’d love to give a couple a try.

Old 01-20-23, 04:00 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell
My understanding of rolling resistance is that latex tubes are actually the best but delicate. Tubeless is close to latex and more robust. TPU is worse rolling resistance but still better than butyl tubes. www.bicyclerollingresistance.com has tests for all the various configurations.
Here again, www.bicyclerollingresistance.com tests rolling resistance on a drum, not in real world road conditions. I take their ratings with a grain of salt.

One of the advantages of latex tubes is a plusher ride according to some who use them. A downside to latex is that they lose air faster.
Old 01-20-23, 05:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Here again, www.bicyclerollingresistance.com tests rolling resistance on a drum, not in real world road conditions. I take their ratings with a grain of salt.
Although drum testing might produce numbers that differ from the real world, I think it still gets the relative results right, i.e. if tire A tests better than tire B on a drum, A also tests better than B the real world.
Old 01-20-23, 05:54 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Are they hard to install? Have you used this brand before? I’d love to give a couple a try.
The Ridenow TPU tubes are the first and only brand my friends and I have tried. They are not hard to install but because they are so thin you need to be careful not to pinch them with a tire lever when removing the tire. So far we haven’t had a flat yet. At under $10 per tube it’s worth a try. One drawback is they only come in a 65mm valve length for 700c tubes. If you have deep section rims they may be too short. We haven’t tried using valve extenders yet - the valve cores are not removable.
Old 01-20-23, 06:11 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
momoman Thanks.

Old 01-20-23, 06:26 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard

One of the advantages of latex tubes is a plusher ride according to some who use them. A downside to latex is that they lose air faster.
You are right, but I think real world really benefits tubeless where the lower tire pressures help on rougher surfaces. You’ll never convince naysayers without the standardized testing though.