Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Monotonous Use of Carbon Components

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Monotonous Use of Carbon Components

Old 01-20-23, 01:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
How the four posts in this thread would look if mstateglfr had any say:

Yes. Yes.

No. Yes.

No. No.

Yes. No.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-20-23, 01:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,009 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Boring on boring. The invisible black bicycle with the invisible black components. Yawn !

It seems like there are more and more un-black bicycles in the peloton so maybe that will have some influence.
I took this pic at the coffee stop of a group ride I do on an irregular basis. Mine is the one not like the others.

I think we will start to see colorful frames start to return.
Old 01-20-23, 03:55 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
Shadco I would look up the company RideWrap. They offer clear matte & gloss finishes so you can stick with the original color being seen. I do appreciate a nice Look frame.

And Campagnolo drivetrain is definitely limited especially with the free hub body being campy only. I would go ahead with a black chain. KMC DLC11 specifically will provide a nice contrast with the rear cassette!

And just so we’re all aware. I feel like a forum is a place for everyone likeminded to share their opinions. I do not mind anyone pitching in pictures and thoughts on their bikes, components and so forth even if it strays off the question. This forum is my escape from the already serious world that surrounds us.

Quick photo opportunity. The frame color deserves some silver. I have Ritchey classic components coming in soon.
I agree silver would look the business on that bike
Old 01-20-23, 10:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Yeah, and I'm also growing tired of the abundance of apostrophes. Just saying.

Just remember Don't Eat the Yellow Snow!
Old 01-21-23, 06:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
I think there are still plenty of colour choices in CF frames if you want something other than black. I can't say I miss silver components and actually prefer the black finish on most. I'm not overly keen on everything being black though i.e black frame and black components. But then again I don't particularly mind it either. The only trend I really disliked was the multicoloured component anodising popular in the 90s.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-21-23, 07:58 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
Is anyone growing tired of the abundance of bikes coming with carbon component
everything and if not carbon, components that are just black on black.

I can’t seem to escape it. I thought Shimano was on a great path releasing a limited edition polished GRX group set back in the day but that may have been the last pretty set.

Hell, even Campagnolo doesn’t offer anything polished besides their entry level group.

Do you think bikes will ever come back to polished components or are we stuck in this dark black/gray carbon era.
Not sure what time frame “back in the day” represents to you but the limited edition GRX group set was offered up in limited quantities just a few short months ago on the Excel Sports (Boulder) website. They are probably mostly picked over now, true. Being mostly a road rider I would think that polished silver anodized + gravel may not be the best implementation for the polished silver bits due to the grit and mud ruining the pretty finish in short order.

It would be great if Shimano would bring back an Ultegra or Dura Ace road group in polished silver again. A disc version of polished Dura Ace 9200 in silver would intrigue me for sure.

As for current silver components I can think of Thomson stems and seatposts, White Industries hubs and cranks, Chris King headsets and hubs, Velocity rims that can be custom ordered in full polish, Industry 9 hubs in silver, Ritchey “Classic” components.

Other current lower priced silver components can be disappointing to us perfectionists since the metal finishing, anodizing or clear coating often looks kind of orange peel ridden.

I can appreciate Campy and I know that they had some nice silver components just a few short years ago so surely they could re-introduce some silver groupsets for us die hards.

As for Shimano which I am most intimately familiar with, their attention to detail on polishing the Ultegra and Dura Ace parts was so exceptional…omg SHIMANO, please visit bikeforums and answer our (my) prayers for what we all want more of!
Likes For masi61:
Old 01-21-23, 08:01 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 438 Posts
A similar black vs. silver debate goes on in audio forums. The audio component industry went to black almost totally in the '80s. Silver only remained in some high-end gear but is creeping back in. Funny that several manufacturers offer a choice in Europe, but only offer black in the USA.

A somewhat random mix of black and silver looks fine to me on my bro's bike:

Clem

The Sugino crank was chosen for its color, however (besides its ratios!). It has modern bits on it and works well, but it's not in the sculpture category. We just wanted a silver crankset. On the basis of that sample of two scarcely independent data points, I think that a well-finished, upper-shelf modern silver component gruppo would go over well.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 01-26-23, 09:31 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
granted brakes are a passing thing, they tend to have some epic looking frames Frames – NJS EXPORT (njs-export.com)
Old 01-27-23, 12:02 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
presumably the variety of materials, manufacturing techniques, joints etc in modern drivetrain components require some kind of opaque finish to not look crappy. painted silver finishes (even expensive processes) tend to look cheap by comparison to actual silver metals, whereas an even black is simple and clean and goes with …. well, everything.

IMO the black ones look better than the various silvers and multiple tones of grey.

Old 01-27-23, 08:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I'd agree that I'm not fond of the Shimano gray look.. but would disagree on true silver not looking nice.

Old 01-27-23, 12:43 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd agree that I'm not fond of the Shimano gray look.. but would disagree on true silver not looking nice.

oh i agree that if everything were naturally silver/bright metal, it would look nice. but my point/speculation was that the underlying construction of a modern RD/FD (and maybe some cranksets?) is not in fact a uniform silver metal. isn’t there a bunch of carbon, plastic, different metals, etc? thus requiring an opaque finish (powder coat or FPRC or something?) of which “silver” is not really a thing. you get metallic grey, which isn’t so sexy.
Old 01-27-23, 12:47 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
oh i agree that if everything were naturally silver/bright metal, it would look nice. but my point/speculation was that the underlying construction of a modern RD/FD (and maybe some cranksets?) is not in fact a uniform silver metal. isn’t there a bunch of carbon, plastic, different metals, etc? thus requiring an opaque finish (powder coat or FPRC or something?) of which “silver” is not really a thing. you get metallic grey, which isn’t so sexy.
I agree, I don't like painted parts. And painted silver does not look as good as bare metal. I may not like it personally, but I guess the black is just form following function.
Old 01-28-23, 06:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
I think they are simply following the modern automotive trend i.e. replacing chrome/silver trim with black/grey trim. The exceptions are usually when they are targeting an older, more conservative demographic. It was interesting that Tesla attempted to buck that trend with chrome trim on all their cars. But they gave up with that in 2020 and moved to black trim in line with pretty much everyone else.

So for me it is really a cosmetic fashion trend and nothing much to do with material choice.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-28-23, 07:22 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
I've always been a fan of bare metal/black components, but I do enjoy the look of raw carbon as well.

The finish that I'd never personally own is the newer style paint that looks like the candy coating on a Skittles
It's pervasive in the mountain bike world and I've seen some, shall we say, rather unique colors out on the trail 😂.
What is "bare metal/black?" The discussion is about the silver tone of bare or clear anodized ALUMINUM which is silver-colored, VERSUS black-colored components either black carbon fiber, black painted, or black anodized.

What metal is black in its natural state?
Old 02-03-23, 09:50 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts

2 brand new bikes I just put together. I did as much silver as I could, but I still have to account for performance, so some black components are a necessary evil.
Likes For Erzulis Boat: