Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Seeking Feedback on Shimano STEPS EP8 XT Di2 630Wh?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 04:38 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I'm considering purchasing an HP Velotechnic Scorpion FS20 tadpole trike. I want electric pedal-assist and have read good things about the Shimano STEPS EP8 XT Di2 system. I'm looking for some real world feedback on it from owners or those who have tried it - especially with regard to power, ease of use, and reliability. I'm coming from a trike with Bosch e-assist which I really like, but the HP Velo doesn't offer that as an option.

Any feedback, positive or negative, on the Shimano STEPS would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-22-23, 05:00 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
out of the three main systems bosch Brose and Shimano I have seen the most complaints about Shimano support and reliability. How it feels is really good though. but Shimano is bad about parts and service on them.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/shimano/
Old 03-22-23, 05:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
In terms of Di2, it is fantastic no complaints. Haven't tried the new XT STePS Di2 specifically but other Di2 have had loads of experience and it is been very reliable and excellent shifter. I haven't yet tried the newer EP8 motor but keep hearing good things. Shimano overall has had pretty good support behind all of their stuff. I didn't like their low end motors but I don't like most of the low end stuff from Shimano but their higher end stuff is great.

The HP Velotechnic is a fine trike so I think overall it isn't a bad idea. Me personally I would rather have a Bosch motor for pure reliability and Brose for motor feel but I would feel confident in the set up you propose.
Old 03-22-23, 05:26 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for the info! One other thing that seems would be important to me is finding service here in the US. I would think that for Shimano and Bosch, there shouldn't be much of a problem, no? I'm not sure about Brose in that regard though (but I could be wrong.)
Old 03-22-23, 06:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
Thanks for the info! One other thing that seems would be important to me is finding service here in the US. I would think that for Shimano and Bosch, there shouldn't be much of a problem, no? I'm not sure about Brose in that regard though (but I could be wrong.)
bosch is easy but I dont know about Shimano. you can use this to find someone. I found two places but with bosch in my city I bet there are over 10 places if not more.
Old 03-23-23, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by newbert
Shimano and Bosch are super easy. Brose isn't hard and certainly if in a Specialized bike you have excellent support from Specialized. It has been a while since we sold Brose outside of Specialized but I do remember them having excellent support but Bosch is a tough one to beat and Shimano also has really good support but I think Bosch sits well at the top for a reason. Shimano's current issue is supply chain stuff which everyone is facing but Shimano had a bunch of closed factories and when they re-opened many of them had limited capacity so it has been tough. Bosch has generally done a bit better.

All in all I think either of the three you will be in good shape but certainly Bosch is excellent.
Old 03-24-23, 01:54 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I am a little confused at this thread in particular but more recently the discussions about the merits of various power systems. I would understand if they were interchangeable like cranksets and rear hubs but as the o.p. found out Bosch isn't supported by HPV. In fact, I am hard pressed to think of a trike manufacturer that does support Bosch. Shimano Steps is the go to mid-drive for just about every top tier trike and recumbent I can think of. And I simply cannot believe it is as bad as all that if that is the case. As to support, again, I'm not understanding the issue. The trike will be bought from a dealership. Thousands will be exchanged. There better be lifetime service on an electric trike retailing north of $6K. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-24-23, 08:18 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am a little confused at this thread in particular but more recently the discussions about the merits of various power systems. I would understand if they were interchangeable like cranksets and rear hubs but as the o.p. found out Bosch isn't supported by HPV. In fact, I am hard pressed to think of a trike manufacturer that does support Bosch. Shimano Steps is the go to mid-drive for just about every top tier trike and recumbent I can think of. And I simply cannot believe it is as bad as all that if that is the case. As to support, again, I'm not understanding the issue. The trike will be bought from a dealership. Thousands will be exchanged. There better be lifetime service on an electric trike retailing north of $6K. I wouldn't worry about it.
Not arguing you won't be fine with Shimano (you will, like I said) but there are some manufacturers using Bosch:
https://www.catrike.com
https://www.terratrike.com/product/e-v-o-2/
https://www.triot.com/trikes.html#/

I would say it is probably close to 50/50ish as HP and Ice use Shimano and Cat and Terra and the unknown to me Triot use Bosch. I possibly missed some I am not as knowledgeable as I would like in recumbent trikes.

As far as Shimano STePS is concerned I do not believe you can run a dual battery set up (from Shimano either OEM or aftermarket not a hack). Maybe not an issue here in this case but I like my dual battery set up because I am not carrying an extra battery it is part of my Bosch system so overall my batteries don't run down quite as low quite as often so better overall health and tons of range.
Old 03-24-23, 08:23 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm

I've had a Shimano motor and haven't had any problems with it. My wife has a bike with a Bosch motor. It isn't as smooth as the Shimano, but hers is also a few years old, they could easily be better now.

In any case, if I could afford a new bike, I wouldn't hesitate to go with either.