Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial Univega Appreciation Thread!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Unofficial Univega Appreciation Thread!

Old 05-20-08, 06:51 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That is SHARP now that you've got the blue tape/cables AND added the hoods .

What's the next ride where we can see it?

East Hill
Old 05-20-08, 08:04 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
That is SHARP now that you've got the blue tape/cables AND added the hoods .

What's the next ride where we can see it?

East Hill
Thanks. To be honest, I haven't really put any real miles on it, so I'm a bit worried about a longer ride before I make sure it's sorted. If I get time to do some work on it this weekend I may ride it on the 7 Hills of Kirkland next Monday (I'm doing the 40mi route plus riding to/from the start, so it's a 70-ish mile day for me).
Old 05-20-08, 08:46 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm still mulling that one over. I really wanted to go down to Maupin this year, but with Mr. East Hill's change of hours, it's not looking good for heading down there. But I could do the 7 Hills (although I'd have to use the Rodriguez, not the Sachs).

East Hill
Old 05-21-08, 06:15 AM
nhsilverback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's my recently acquired Grand Turismo
needs new tires , brake hoods and derailleur adjustment
and a good cleaning
but looks like it's all original
Suntour bl
serial # "g"sticker k429084 "i" sticker

Old 05-21-08, 08:04 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Nice Gran Turismo. Looks like it hasn't been ridden much at all - I think that's the stock, original, suede covered Univega saddle, which (according to my memory) shows wear easily. It looks pretty new in the photo.
Old 05-21-08, 05:39 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
BengeBoy, the bike looks better than ever!

nhsilverback, yet another fine Univega to add to this thread. Very nice!
Old 05-21-08, 05:42 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is mixte I'm almost done with for my wifefe
Old 06-03-08, 04:09 PM
soccersonoma10
I likeuh to bikeuh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm proud of scoring this for free

blue gran turismo
Old 06-03-08, 05:34 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Ooh nice find! Especially for free!
Old 06-03-08, 05:49 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My Nuovo Sport is done:

Last edited by robtown; 06-03-08 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 11:25 PM
dudeona3V

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
My Nuovo Sport is done
Well done at that
Old 06-09-08, 03:02 PM
JBeam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my new 80s Univega. I replaced the tires, tubes, handlebar tape, and added some fenders. Everything else is original.

Old 06-09-08, 04:33 PM
LordBass

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 500, 1981 Motobecane Super Mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on the hunt for the right Univega. Brought this one home last week, but not to be - it was too small, so I sold it. Went in 24 hours.

Lovely original Sportour. The frame was in excellent shape - barely a scratch. Drivetrain was in good shape, but the wheels weren't so good.

And so, I keep looking.
Old 06-09-08, 06:07 PM
ticwanos
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ticwanos

The black stem and seat post have to go! It is so wrong with the sky blue. After seeing BlankCrows' bike, I can see what it is supposed to look like.
I posted earlier, just after I acquired a sweet Gran Sprint that had been modified for someone else's taste. It took me a while, but I finally got everything together and have this Gran Sprint where I want it. The ride is almost effortless. (Wind is still wind. Hills are still hills. Nevertheless...) Ben Lawee made some great bikes!
-- Leon Briggs
Old 06-09-08, 07:29 PM
JBeam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LordBass
I've been on the hunt for the right Univega. Brought this one home last week, but not to be - it was too small, so I sold it. Went in 24 hours.

Lovely original Sportour. The frame was in excellent shape - barely a scratch. Drivetrain was in good shape, but the wheels weren't so good.

And so, I keep looking.
That looks very familiar...
Old 06-09-08, 09:02 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Looking at photos of the early Univega bikes, it appears that Univega was much like the Centurion brand: imported bikes that offered a really nice bike for the price...for less money than a comparable bike from the "famous" names.

I had a Univega mountain bike that I liked a lot, because was one of the last mountain bikes sold with a really top quality steel frame, AND a rigid steel fork, which I prefer to suspension for the sorts of trails I ride. It was simply the nicest "feeling" mountain bike I've been on.

Recently, a friend gave me a fifteen year old Univega hybrid, likely one of the cheapest Univega bikes ever sold. But, after a few adjustments, it turned out to be a great "grocery store" bike. Nothing special, just a bike that has provided many years of reliable service without costing much money.

But, as a "rule of thumb", I'm guessing the "best" or more interesting Univega bikes are the early models. By around 1995, it seemed that Univega was simply trying to offer bike shops a "cheaper" bike...basic bikes at low prices.
Old 06-12-08, 10:06 PM
dudeona3V

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just picked this one up last week: 1986 Ital Sport. Original owner claims less than 80 miles. After going through it in detail, it's the truth. There are some chips in the paint from being stored in the back of a garage, but the cleanup was minimal. The Benotto tape was a bit tatty so that's been replaced with Fi'z:k, as were the Campy gum hoods that I pulled for a different project. They were replaced with black Modolos that I think work much better for this bike. The ride is superb, the full Triomphe components look and work beautifully (or perhaps they're part Triomphe/part Victory; I can never tell except for the Triomphe levers). Even the original tires show no wear whatsoever. I'll admit, I bought it cheap and intended to part it out. But now I'm in love with it even though it's too small for me. Not sure what to do with it now, but it deserves to be kept whole, dontcha think?

Old 06-12-08, 10:52 PM
Mike552
Padovano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
My Nuovo Sport is done:

Bike looks great, but you should fix that chain.
Old 06-19-08, 02:01 PM
theclipper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I just joined the forum as I hadn't ridden a bike in years but recently bought an old Univega from Recycled Cycles in Seattle. The frame looked almost brand new, not any major scratches, it is double butted. I have been really enjoying getting out on it and having a good time. It is a viva sport, anyone know how old it might be going by the serial number of K604839. A spoke on the back wheel broke so they gave me a new wheel for free, along with the back gears as the others were stuck to the old wheel. It looks like its got new grip tape and I added some A520 pedals. It has Suntour components. I was thinking of getting some Planet Bike Freddy Fenders to put on this, would those work ok? If there was one thing worth upgrading on this bike what would it be? I know its not a great bike or anything but I was just wondering if there was anything worth upgrading as I currently get a lot of use out of it and probably will for some time. I am not very knowledgeable about bikes at this point so I was looking for any input. Well, anyhow, here are some pictures of it.

Last edited by theclipper; 06-19-08 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-24-08, 10:02 PM
boilerup67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking to buy a new-early 90's(I think) Gran Premio with Shimano 105 gruppo. However, I am not confident in my shifting abilities with the d/t shifters. Just tell me that everything will be ok, and that the bike I am looking at is a very nice steed to ride. Please just sound a LITTLE convincing!

Edit: please note i have quite a sarcastic sense of humor, and you all seem so Univega enthusiastic.

Last edited by boilerup67; 06-24-08 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-24-08, 10:35 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by boilerup67
Just tell me that everything will be ok, and that the bike I am looking at is a very nice steed to ride.
I have DT shifters on two of my bikes. Love 'em; nice change of pace. Really old school.

Everything will be ok.

The bike you are looking at is a nice steed to ride.
Old 07-22-08, 06:20 PM
soccersonoma10
I likeuh to bikeuh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could anyone tell me a little about the year my Gran Turismo is from? F297075 is the serial no., its blue. I had pictures up a while ago, but they got deleted. ANyone have any info?
Old 07-23-08, 01:17 PM
soccersonoma10
I likeuh to bikeuh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soccersonoma10
Could anyone tell me a little about the year my Gran Turismo is from? F297075 is the serial no., its blue. I had pictures up a while ago, but they got deleted. ANyone have any info?
I know there is someone out there who knows this!
Old 07-23-08, 01:32 PM
Squeazel
Luddite

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Cannondale Synapse, Bianchi Aquiletta Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's Miyata-built, it could be from 1978 or 1977. My Gran Turismo is a Miyata-built bike from 1984 and the serial number starts with "M"- it's one year per letter, but I don't know if they skipped "J". But Univega used different manufacturers. T-Mar is the resident Japanese bike expert here; he will know more...
Old 07-23-08, 11:29 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Here's updated pics of my 84ish SupraSport. I freed it from the kid carrier it's been hauling around the last three years and have taken it on a couple rides recently. To make it more road worthy I replaced the steel handlebars and chainrings for alloy ones, swapped the brake levers, put on a set of Campy high flange wheels, and added new Brooks and some red bar tape (still not sold on that but I bought 10 rolls of the stuff off ebay a couple months ago so I have to use it somewhere!). It's not a high class steed but still a fun ride.

Last edited by Bogester; 07-23-08 at 11:38 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.