Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-22, 02:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
We have a group road ride weekly out of one of the local breweries. Every once in a while we get a new person that shows up on a vintage 80's or 90s bike. Lets just say that for whatever reason the person that always shows up on the vintage bike can't keep up.

Some of those said people ended up buying a new bike after being left behind and now can keep up.
They can't keep up because they're out of shape,...not because they're riding an older bike.
Old 06-10-22, 02:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Resistance is futile.
I'll keep resisting carbon, electronic shifting, tubeless tires, clipless pedals as long as I live.
Old 06-10-22, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
What's the demarcation for "customer serviceable"?
Brifters?
Electronic shifting?

Those two modern things are so good, I happily deal with the downsides of their complexity.

For a lot of people, it's simply the line between not having enough room at home to do it vs. a garage or whatever. Almost nothing to do with technological developments of the bike. They're still pretty serviceable.

The change in cars was so great that a lot of the independent garages went out of business because the owners couldn't swing the costs of the electronics and really had never trained on them.

Lots of bike shops have gone out of business, but I don't think it's for reasons anything like that.
Old 06-10-22, 02:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
They can't keep up because they're out of shape,...not because they're riding an older bike.

Sez you--the guy who wrote the post obviously believed otherwise since they could keep up after they switched bikes.
Old 06-10-22, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'll keep resisting carbon, electronic shifting, tubeless tires, clipless pedals as long as I live.

I don't want any of that stuff either, but I hardly feel like I need to "resist" them. Nobody is trying to force them on me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-22, 03:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't want any of that stuff either, but I hardly feel like I need to "resist" them. Nobody is trying to force them on me.
Come on, man - just take one hit of spin with these deep dish, dimpled rims to see what it's like. I bet you'll have a good time.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-10-22, 03:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

The bike industry is heading that way and it's only a matter of time before everybody will be forced to purchase whatever is manufactured by the bike industry...Just look at the axle spacing standards. 135 mmm rear axle spacing is almost non existent and thru axels have pretty much replaced simple and reliable quick release axles...Bikes with nutted axles are non existent unless you do the conversion yourself. Majority of gravel bikes come with carbon forks...Eventually you will have no choice but to purchase what the bike industry dictates..
Old 06-10-22, 06:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The bike industry is heading that way and it's only a matter of time before everybody will be forced to purchase whatever is manufactured by the bike industry...Just look at the axle spacing standards. 135 mmm rear axle spacing is almost non existent and thru axels have pretty much replaced simple and reliable quick release axles...Bikes with nutted axles are non existent unless you do the conversion yourself. Majority of gravel bikes come with carbon forks...Eventually you will have no choice but to purchase what the bike industry dictates..

This might be the best example of Poe's Law I've ever seen on BF. Next you'll be predicting "reeducation" camps.
Old 06-10-22, 06:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Come on, man - just take one hit of spin with these deep dish, dimpled rims to see what it's like. I bet you'll have a good time.
From my cold, dead feet!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-22, 07:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
...Eventually you will have no choice but to purchase what the bike industry dictates..
When has it NOT been the case that the bike industry determines what is available to buy?

For years rim brakes and qr was the standard. Soon disc and through axle may be. How is the latter different from the former?

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-10-22 at 07:55 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-10-22, 07:39 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 432 Posts
resistance, as a matter of policy, will assure a much smaller window on life, reducing the expanse of experience and chance for joy.
it's really easy to appreciate 'new' as well as current, traditional or vintage/old. None of which needs to be denied when using the other.
certainly choosing something over another is done by applying one's parameters after 'trying' and 'evaluating'. Resistance assumes complete blocking without even attempting...
I tried '29r', give it a good shot, then found "27.5" works best for me.
Living life in contrary seems a significantly less joyful experience. Given we all face challenges, thrust upon us; we certainly don;t need more challenges by creating them ourselves (even though we all do overly challenge ourselves).
Is there 'joy' in 'resisting'... or are you just missin out?
...just sayin...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-10-22, 07:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
resistance, as a matter of policy, will assure a much smaller window on life, reducing the expanse of experience and chance for joy.
it's really easy to appreciate 'new' as well as current, traditional or vintage/old. None of which needs to be denied when using the other.
certainly choosing something over another is done by applying one's parameters after 'trying' and 'evaluating'. Resistance assumes complete blocking without even attempting...
I tried '29r', give it a good shot, then found "27.5" works best for me.
Living life in contrary seems a significantly less joyful experience. Given we all face challenges, thrust upon us; we certainly don;t need more challenges by creating them ourselves (even though we all do overly challenge ourselves).
Is there 'joy' in 'resisting'... or are you just missin out?
...just sayin...
Ride On
Yuri
I don’t know…. I can think of a few temptations in life I am glad i resisted, and a few I regret not resisting.
Old 06-10-22, 07:50 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
nobody is forced to purchase anything. just like you can’t force the manufacturers to manufacture something. you absolutely have the choice of not buying a new bike.

the actual outcome is likely to be that there’s a small but vocal minority of customers who prefer something different that it does not make economic sense for mainstream manufacturers to make. if the niche is large enough and profitable enough, niche manufacturers will emerge to fill that niche, or continue doing so. you can still buy steel, titanium, and aluminum frames alongside carbon ones. mechanical shifting is still very easy to find in 1x and 2x, rims and tires for tubes, bikes without power meters, even rim brakes can still be found. no more friction shifters… because the number of people who want them enough to pay whatever it would cost to make them must be very small.

i refuse to drive a car with an automatic transmission of any sort unless it’s fully electric. so far, that niche is still filled. Although choices are shrinking, nobody is FORCING me to buy a car with a slushbox.
Old 06-10-22, 08:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 432 Posts
Since the end of WW II, the cycling universe has gone thru it's own 'Big Bang'. Slowly at first, since in the world of humans, 'tech' has shown a slow start with increasing development with time.
I always wonder 'How Long', it took for the wheel to become a thing...
The Bike industry has mostly, vastly dictated 'the bike' for as long as I can remember, and that's only been since the early/mid 60's. And then there have always been those who have broadened the bike 'window', like Phil Wood, Fisher,Ritchey, Breeze and others. There's been both broadening and suppression, most of it because of and due to consumer whims.
But for the longest time there was non 'CNC', and bringing ideas to some form has always been difficult.
But WE, the riders, have a way broader universe of choice, selection and options than ever before. And things do change, old things go out of existence. transplanted by newer.
BUT the Bike Universe is one of those places where OLD holds a distinguished place and is greatly supported, often beyond reason, other than it's still good to use and enjoy.
I still have my Grandfather's 1939 Fiets, and I can still get good parts for it, in a quite small town in Germany, where it;s spent all of it's existence.
Your statements have absolutely no basis in reality. Nutted axle bikes by the tens of thousands, What is a 'gravel bike is purely up to interpretation, well beyond what might be here on BF.
A window built into a house of contrary always give a warped view.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-10-22, 08:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
NEwer bike was more comfortable. The carbon frame and wheels really helped smooth things out - really, the most comfortable bike ive ever ridden.
As pictured, I think the Gatorskins probably didn't help the steel bike in this respect either.
Old 06-10-22, 11:49 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t know…. I can think of a few temptations in life I am glad i resisted, and a few I regret not resisting.

thinking of Pacino in Heat

”cause she got a “GREAT AZZZZ!!!!!”

either way it’s right or wrong
Old 06-11-22, 12:36 AM
JohnMorgan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This might be the best example of Poe's Law I've ever seen on BF. Next you'll be predicting "reeducation" camps.
Oh, we already have those where I am - they’re called ‘cycling clubs’ :- )

Have to say, I’m enjoying the thread!

Last edited by JohnMorgan; 06-11-22 at 12:42 AM.
Likes For JohnMorgan:
Old 06-11-22, 01:20 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by balrog687
personally, I would love a 1978 bianchi with modern components. I don't see the problem with that, best of both worlds
Hear, hear.

Put brifters, clinchers, and perhaps some dual caliper brakes (or at least new pads) on your 1978 bike and you'll be set.
Old 06-11-22, 04:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
Oh, we already have those where I am - they’re called ‘cycling clubs’ :- )

Have to say, I’m enjoying the thread!
21st century chain gangs.
Orange jerseys are the new orange jumpsuits.
Old 06-12-22, 09:31 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Go look at the STUCK thru axle thread. ME >> LOL hahahahahahahaha GARBAGE technology strikes again.
My Rohloff14 now with 18,200 miles still gets BETTER every day.
My SA XL-FDD dyno drum brake has NO equal either. 28,000 miles with a bearing change. Looks like new on it's third bike now.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 06-12-22, 11:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Go look at the STUCK thru axle thread. ME >> LOL hahahahahahahaha GARBAGE technology strikes again.
A thru axle is a bolt. Bolts are "garbage technology"?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-12-22, 01:49 PM
GamblerGORD53

That "bolt" is as long as most quill stems. It needs to fit to say .0002" to go thru the whatever tunnel. It needs to be 99.9% clean.
How they don't rattle is a mystery to me. Every time you undo a screw it wears some and ought to be cleaned greased EVERY time. Alu is a POOR metal for any kind of bolt. I've had alu quills and bare seat posts that look like HELL is short order from corrosion.
I have spent months making 3 nickel plated steel stems. Some attempts turned out too tight, too loose and too crooked. But now they are super strong and good for 50 years.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-12-22 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-12-22, 02:06 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
no more friction shifters… because the number of people who want them enough to pay whatever it would cost to make them must be very small.
Actually there are still many friction shifter options, including multiple different types of mounts that work with the same shifters. Dia-Compe, RivBike, SA/Sunrace, just to name a few.

Otto
Old 06-12-22, 02:15 PM
GamblerGORD53

I'm in the process of taking apart 2 nice old Suntour friction shifters, to make a downtube bottle holder. LOL.
There are still builders who think pretty city bikes don't go far enough to need bottle mounts.
Old 06-12-22, 02:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I'm in the process of taking apart 2 nice old Suntour friction shifters, to make a downtube bottle holder. LOL.
There are still builders who think pretty city bikes don't go far enough to need bottle mounts.
So after you take off the shifter bits, how do you make the bottle holder? I’m running a cheap Schwinn frame that lacks bottle mounts, so I’m using the zip-tie method.

Otto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.