Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A very noobish question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A very noobish question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-22, 04:26 AM
trickybilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A very noobish question

I am a total noob when it comes to bikes. I have bought my new MTB and one question troubles me. On both left and right gears when the pointer is at the leftmost position it indicates the fastest speed (the hardest to pedal).

It seems illogical to me. You see, when it comes to cars it seems to be the opposite situation: the pointer at the speedometer moves from left to right as you go faster and faster. So, what is the logic behind this?
​​​​​​
Old 06-03-22, 05:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by trickybilly
I am a total noob when it comes to bikes. I have bought my new MTB and one question troubles me. On both left and right gears when the pointer is at the leftmost position it indicates the fastest speed (the hardest to pedal).

It seems illogical to me. You see, when it comes to cars it seems to be the opposite situation: the pointer at the speedometer moves from left to right as you go faster and faster. So, what is the logic behind this?
​​​​​​

Pointers are generally nonexistent on bikes, so there's really no standardization among the shifters that have them. This right left arrangement is probably easier mechanically for some reason.

​​​​​​Gear indicators on cars aren't generally organized consistent with speedometer logic, either.
Old 06-03-22, 05:51 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Because someone claiming to know better says so...that's why.
Riders don't pay attention to those silly indicators.
The only time to look down at your gears is when you're hoping you still have one or two to use hehehe.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-03-22, 06:42 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Last bike I had with gear pointers was a Claris-level bike; the higher models usually don't have them. But I really almost never looked at them anyway and the clear plastic windows eventually got yellowed and cloudy with age.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-03-22, 06:48 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Nobody looks at the pointers on the shifter when riding. You just go by feel.

7 bikes in my household and not one of them has a pointer on the shifter.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-03-22, 06:56 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
​​​​​​
The indicators are not indicating speed. They are indicating gear position.

Your gears are changed by cables moving in a particular direction. The indicators follow the cable movement. There isn’t really any option to how the cable moves. So, the indicators move the way they do because of that.

Don’t worry about people saying don’t use them if you find them useful.

You’ll problem need them less with more experience.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-03-22 at 07:01 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-03-22, 06:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I've had a couple of bikes with indicators and I think they had entirely different arrangements. I'm going to disagree with the tone of a couple of the posts on this thread because I think they're suggesting you shouldn't feel like a "real" rider if you find the indicator useful. If it's there and you can use it effectively, there's really nothing wrong with that. It also might be a good way for you to learn how to check gears by feel so when you get a bike without indicators, you won't feel lost..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-22, 07:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
The only time to look down at your gears is when you're hoping you still have one or two to use hehehe.
So true.

Back in 2019 I was climbing Thompson Pass from Idaho to Montana during a self contained tour. 8 miles to the top from the town of Murray. The first four miles are relatively easy. The second 4 miles average over 7%. When I hit the the second 4 miles I felt like I was dragging a ship anchor. Looked down for one more gear and realized I was in the middle chainring of my triple. I had been using it during the first 4 miles.
Old 06-03-22, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Because someone claiming to know better says so...that's why.
Riders don't pay attention to those silly indicators.

Says who? I ride 5 different bikes, I like to know how the same gear combination might feel different on the different bikes, so I do occasionally need to look at my gears to figure out precisely what combo I'm using in a given situation.

Your first sentence makes the rest of your comment somewhat ironic, btw.
Old 06-03-22, 07:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Says who? I ride 5 different bikes, I like to know how the same gear combination might feel different on the different bikes, so I do occasionally need to look at my gears to figure out precisely what combo I'm using in a given situation.
You can't tell by how it feels in your legs and the amount off effort required?

Like I said...7 bikes in my household and not one has an indicator on the shifter. About the only time I've seen an indicator on a shifter is on the cheap walmart bikes.
Old 06-03-22, 08:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by prj71
You can't tell by how it feels in your legs and the amount off effort required?

Like I said...7 bikes in my household and not one has an indicator on the shifter. About the only time I've seen an indicator on a shifter is on the cheap walmart bikes.

I don't have any indicators on my bikes, but no my legs aren't very sensitive to nuance so I sometimes look at my gears to figure out where I am. Yes, those indicators were on cheap bikes I had several years ago. They were not of great use, but I did occasionally look at them. My "says who" comment was about the "look down at your gears" part as it was the indicator part.

I tend to ride in the highest gear available on the bike and, this is going to sound like a brag but it's true, my legs are generally too strong to notice anything too dramatic as I shift up. On my Serotta, I ride habitually in the 53x11 combo, but I often think I'm in a lower gear because the bike is so easy to pedal. Yes, I know that makes me an outlier, but I will sometimes have to look at my gears to confirm where I am. This is especially true when conditions require me to shift down, like wind and uphill. I get to the right gear by feel, but I wouldn't be able to tell you the number without actually looking. On a very steep hill, I might touch my lowest gears, but telling you where I am in the middle is not a strong suit of mine.

I figure OP is finding the indicators useful or they wouldn't be asking about them. I don't think it's nice to question their bona fides just because of that.
Old 06-03-22, 08:20 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
About the only time I've seen an indicator on a shifter is on the cheap walmart bikes.
Or on the really cool bikes we had when we were kids. One of the hand-me-down bikes I had as a kid was a purple 5-speed which had a big banana seat, a chrome sissy bar and a huge shifter that looked like it came out of a Z28 Camaro. It was the coolest bike ever! Too bad I outgrew it in a couple of years....
Old 06-03-22, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I use to not pay attention to gear indicators because I didn't have them on my road bikes. Though it took some effort to train myself not to look down at the rear to see what gear I was in. But I did get out of the bad habit of looking as well as the bad habit of looking at the pedals when I clip in.

However now with Di2 and d-fly I can see on my Garmin what gear combo I'm in. So now I'm using that info to let me know that I am in fact in the 52/11 combo and it is fruitless to keep pushing on the paddle trying to get a higher ratio! <grin>

Any how.... welcome to BF trickybilly

As you can see we are opinionated and don't necessarily just answer the question. But you do get to see different perspectives. And you soon realize that we all don't ride bikes for the same reasons or enjoy doing the same stuff with them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-03-22, 08:43 AM
njkayaker

I tend to ride in the highest gear available on the bike and, this is going to sound like a brag but it's true, my legs are generally too strong to notice anything too dramatic as I shift up. On my Serotta, I ride habitually in the 53x11 combo, but I often think I'm in a lower gear because the bike is so easy to pedal.
53x11 with 700Cx25 tires at 80 RPM is 30.3 mph.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-03-22, 09:08 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

​​​​​​
it’s no more illogical that the way shifters work - one action on the RHS shifter might yield a “faster” gear (smaller sprocket) while the corresponding action on the LHS shifter will shift to a smaller chainring (a “slower” gear). It is what it is within the limits of how cable-op shifters work.
For myself, despite having ridden seriously for ~40 years and on the same bike for the last 20, I still constantly glance down to see what rear gear I’m in - it’s positively a tic by now. When/if I upgrade to electronic shifting (come on Campagnolo, where’s that wireless Chorus EPS?!), I’m hoping it’ll integrate with my head unit, and I can break the “look down” habit.
Old 06-03-22, 09:11 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
53x11 with 700Cx25 tires at 80 RPM is 30.3 mph.
So he's probably around 55-60rpm. Just shift into the 11 and ride.

To answer the OP's question it's because while the shifters work the same when you pull cable at the rear derailleur you go to easier gears and in the front you go to harder gears. Simple really.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-03-22, 09:31 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Pointers are generally nonexistent on bikes
I've got an in-line gear indicator for Dura Ace 7700 STI shifters. Apparently even folks using that level of components liked to see visually what gear they were in!
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-03-22, 09:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cxwrench

To answer the OP's question it's because while the shifters work the same when you pull cable at the rear derailleur you go to easier gears and in the front you go to harder gears. Simple really.

I have that guy blocked, but you're exactly right, I never claimed to have anything but a pretty slow cadence (which I don't measure). I actually saw another guy riding the way I do the other week, grinding slowly and going about 20-23 mph on the flat. It's an old-guy with strong legs friendly method of going pretty fast with long endurance. High torque, low RPM.

I'm good with the WTF, BTW. I know I'm a mutant.
Old 06-03-22, 09:49 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by cxwrench
At 60 RPM, it's 22.7 MPH. Lugging at 50 RPM, it's 18.9 MPH.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-03-22 at 10:01 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-03-22, 09:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by smd4
I've got an in-line gear indicator for Dura Ace 7700 STI shifters. Apparently even folks using that level of components liked to see visually what gear they were in!

TBH, I think it was more like it seemed like a good idea on paper at a time where they were still experimenting with the basic use of STI, but that people who bought Dura Ace didn't really end up liking it in practice. I'm making that up, but it would fit with the fact that it doesn't appear on later Dura Ace iterations.
Old 06-03-22, 09:59 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

​​​​​​
If you install an analog speedometer on your bike, the pointer will also turn clockwise as the speed increases, just like a car speedometer.

But your question is for the gear indicators. In a manual transmission car, the gears are arranged in an "H". In an automatic, it is linear starting with P at the top if the stickshift is between the driver and passenger seat.

On a bike, the front and rear cables work opposite. When you pull the cable on your left hand, the front crank shifts to the larger ring making pedalling more difficult. When you pull the cable on your right hand, the rear cassette shifts to the larger cassette but makes the pedalling easier.

Last edited by Daniel4; 06-03-22 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 10:45 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
TBH, I think it was more like it seemed like a good idea on paper at a time where they were still experimenting with the basic use of STI, but that people who bought Dura Ace didn't really end up liking it in practice. I'm making that up, but it would fit with the fact that it doesn't appear on later Dura Ace iterations.
7700 was released in 1996, several years after STI hit the market, so STI had been around a while. The indicator was an after-market accessory, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-03-22, 11:03 AM
indyfabz

7700 was released in 1996, several years after STI hit the market, so STI had been around a while. The indicator was an after-market accessory, if I'm not mistaken.
You might be right. I know some people had it, but others did not. I had a frame built with DA in 2001. I did not have an indicator, but I did have that goofy thing they called a "Flight Deck." IIRC, it told you what gear you were in and calculated a cadence even when coasting. One day, during a charity ride, it started raining really hard. The unit starting malfunctioning, showing me going 60+ mph going up steep hills. Then the speed would drop to 0 then back up to the 60s. After about 10 min. of that the thing stopped working altogether.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-22, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well, 6 years after introduction is not a lot of generations down the line, but y'know, half-empty, half-full. Never actually saw one of those, so the accessory doesn't appear to have caught on.

Fun piece of trivia that it exists, though! Do you have a picture of it?
Old 06-03-22, 11:33 AM
indyfabz

Well, 6 years after introduction is not a lot of generations down the line, but y'know, half-empty, half-full. Never actually saw one of those, so the accessory doesn't appear to have caught on.

Fun piece of trivia that it exists, though! Do you have a picture of it?
If you search DuraAce gear indicator in Google images there are photos of the different models.

And there is an old BF thread about their installation.

Installing those Dura-Ace inline gear indicators... - Bike Forums
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.