Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Accell Group

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22, 07:18 AM
hanspeter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accell Group

Hi everyone! I am thinking of buying a new bike from one of the brands of Accell Group. Still not sure if ebike or not but has anyone any experience with the company? Quality, customer service..... - or would you choose another brand over one of the brands of Accell Group?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 01-11-22, 08:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'd base my decision on the specific brand and bike I wanted to purchase more so than the company that owns the individual brands.
Old 01-11-22, 10:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by hanspeter
Hi everyone! I am thinking of buying a new bike from one of the brands of Accell Group. Still not sure if ebike or not but has anyone any experience with the company? Quality, customer service..... - or would you choose another brand over one of the brands of Accell Group?

Accell has been buying and selling brands so much that I can't keep track of what they do or don't own at this point, and I don't think anything they do in the US is under their own name. Might make more sense to specify which Accell brands you're thinking of buying because I think we might not know what it is you have in mind.
Old 01-11-22, 11:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by hanspeter

I cant imagine ever picking a bike or even bike brand based on what brans a holdings company happens to own at any given moment.
I would put more emphasis on what style of bike I want at the price range I can pay for, that is in stock in my size. If Pon Holdings has a brand that meets my needs, I will go that route because again, I couldnt care less what holdings company owns the brand that happens to sell a bike I want in the size and price I need.
Old 01-11-22, 11:46 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
It basically comes down to dealerships, warranty and customer service in your area more than anything else. These days there is very little difference between brand bikes at the same price point. Apart from available colors it's just slightly different frame shapes and geometry, and even those differences are mostly minuscule. And no matter what the decal is on the frame, it's more than likely produced in one of the handful big factories in Taiwan that make frames for everyone (or China for the more budget end). Parts like drivetrain, brakes, suspension etc. are provided by 2-3 big companies and tend to be the same on different brand bikes at the same price point, with a few exceptions, where some brands are sometimes able to offer slightly more value either by selling directly to customer (e.g. Canyon) or by economies of scale (e.g. Giant).

There are some nuances like proprietary design parts on some bikes, but that's the general picture.
Old 01-11-22, 12:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I cant imagine ever picking a bike or even bike brand based on what brans a holdings company happens to own at any given moment.
OTOH, if I'm buying a new bike and someone tells me they bought the same type of a bike from a brand and the QC was crap and they got stuck with a POS as a result because the brand/dealer didn't make it good, I'd definitely take that into consideration..
Old 01-11-22, 01:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
If you are looking at an e-bike look for something with Bosch (Performance line ideally) and you will be happy. Bosch has great support for their products in a lot of different countries and I am assuming you are possibly not in the U.S.

Brose/Specialized and Shimano are also good motor brands with good support but Bosch is probably the easiest to get support for in more places. We did business with some Accell brands in the past which are now owned elsewhere and early on support was great and then it trickled away and then those brands got bought out and nothing improved. However so long as the e-bike part of the bike is a good brand that is separate you are in fine shape.

Make sure you are getting a quality bike from a local shop that way you have support behind you and a chance to actually try out the bike or try out something similar at least. You save nothing trying to save money buying online because in the end you lose out on the support from the shop and sometimes from the company you bought from. With an E-bike that support is really handy. Working at a shop that deals heavily in e-bikes I can see the difference and you are much better off with good support.
Old 01-12-22, 02:37 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
I’d like a Haibike just because they sponsor Sam Pilgrim!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-12-22, 05:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Choosing a holding company when buying a bike is a new one for me! LOL
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-12-22, 08:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Though in theory, if it's the case (don't know), does the holding company dictate the warranty coverage and service, or does the brand? IOW if warranty coverage is important to you, can it make sense to relegate your looking for a bike amongst brands that are owned by one holding company vs. another?
Old 01-12-22, 12:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Choosing a holding company when buying a bike is a new one for me! LOL

But inevitable when buying a pannier or a basket. Rim shot.

Likes For livedarklions: