Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 03:17 PM
fatbikeGM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
I checked several adaptors and am thinking on buying xxx which looks better to my eye. Since I have comfort stem lack of angle shouldn’t be a problem.
Apparently I can not even _quote_ URLs before 10 posts …
So I‘ll rephrase my reply since the original text was lost:
Please use Loctite with whatever adapter you buy. Both the H&H adapter and the Brompton luggage block came with Loctite blue.
Old 07-06-22, 03:18 PM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fatbikeGM
Apparently I can not even _quote_ URLs before 10 posts …
Please use Loctite with whatever adapter you buy. Both the H&H adapter and the Brompton luggage block came with Loctite blue.
Thanks, I always do, on all bolts that are not supposed to be unscrewed.

Last edited by CEBEP; 07-06-22 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-06-22, 03:21 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Removed low rider from front fork. Do I need to close down this hole? To prevent water from getting in and what not?

On Birdy without low rider, there is a bolt that close the threaded hole.

Likes For Jipe:
Old 07-06-22, 03:40 PM
CEBEP

Did the same, put short ones in. There is a hole from the inside too, added washers to make sure bolts don’t touch each other inside the fork.

Old 07-06-22, 04:31 PM
jackyharuhiko

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
I’m about 100kgs and my R&M Birdy Touring came with red rear elastomer which seems to be a little too soft. Trying to order hard one but they don’t seem to be available all that wide. Found this one but its grey and it reads hard. As far as I know hard ones are green. Is there a difference for elastomers for Birdy 1, 2 or 3 or they fit all models?
I recently changed the suspensions with harder ones from Ridea.

Old 07-06-22, 04:33 PM
jackyharuhiko

Did the same, put short ones in. There is a hole from the inside too, added washers to make sure bolts don’t touch each other inside the fork.

confirmed with mine too:

Likes For jackyharuhiko:
Old 07-06-22, 08:14 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
[QUOTE=fatbikeGM;22565839]Apparently I can not even _quote_ URLs before 10 posts …
Please use Loctite with whatever adapter you buy. Both the H&H adapter and the Brompton luggage block came with Loctite blue.[/QUOTE

The adapters have tiny set screws that are used to lock in the top (tension) bolts by screwing them down on the threads of the tension bolts. I think that even if the set screws were to back out, that having used them, the threads of the tension bolts would be damaged and will resist being unscrewed. They also supply a loctite type liquid.
Old 07-06-22, 11:20 PM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by jackyharuhiko
I recently changed the suspensions with harder ones from Ridea.

judging from the price these are made from solid chunk of gold. I looked at different options with sane prices for front suspension but they all are stiffer than stock and I think stock is fine for me for now. If not there are options to change the spring for a stiffer one.
Old 07-06-22, 11:26 PM
CEBEP

I have Matumura Kohki Scrowave suspension on my Brompton and am very happy with it. Apparently there was a model available for Birdy but I’m not sure if it’s available any longer.
Old 07-07-22, 03:24 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
jackyharuhiko has a Pacific Cycle Birdy, most Pacific Cycle Birdy are factory equipped with the 10.5 turn softer front spring while Riese & Müller Birdy are factory equipped with the harder 8.5 turn spring.

For me, the original front suspension with the 8.5 turn spring is perfect ( I am around 80kg), the softer 10.5 that was factory mounted on my Ti Birdy was too soft especially with a loaded Brompton front bag.

I tried the Multi-S G5+ suspension set (that seems very good with a front spring+hydraulic damper and sophisticated rear multi-rubber system) and it was bad.

The rear is ultra hard, there is almost no suspension. I couldn't compress it by pushing on it, then I put it in a vice and even so, the max compression I could obtain is about 5mm.

The front is also harder with a shorter spring that results in a shorter travel than the original and the top ring for the hook has a rectangular groove that doesn't fit with the shape of the frame hook (which is designed to hook a spring = a round object) with as consequence a continuous rattling noise coming from the front suspension.

I also tried the Ridea PU 100 hard rear suspension and it works slightly better than the original but the M3 very long mounting bold was broken several times, I eventually glued the several parts of this PU block instead.

Likes For Jipe:
Old 07-07-22, 10:11 AM
jackyharuhiko

Originally Posted by Jipe
jackyharuhiko has a Pacific Cycle Birdy, most Pacific Cycle Birdy are factory equipped with the 10.5 turn softer front spring while Riese & Müller Birdy are factory equipped with the harder 8.5 turn spring.

For me, the original front suspension with the 8.5 turn spring is perfect ( I am around 80kg), the softer 10.5 that was factory mounted on my Ti Birdy was too soft especially with a loaded Brompton front bag.

I tried the Multi-S G5+ suspension set (that seems very good with a front spring+hydraulic damper and sophisticated rear multi-rubber system) and it was bad.

The rear is ultra hard, there is almost no suspension. I couldn't compress it by pushing on it, then I put it in a vice and even so, the max compression I could obtain is about 5mm.

The front is also harder with a shorter spring that results in a shorter travel than the original and the top ring for the hook has a rectangular groove that doesn't fit with the shape of the frame hook (which is designed to hook a spring = a round object) with as consequence a continuous rattling noise coming from the front suspension.

I also tried the Ridea PU 100 hard rear suspension and it works slightly better than the original but the M3 very long mounting bold was broken several times, I eventually glued the several parts of this PU block instead.

thank you very much Jipe!
This is the information about my front suspension and the rear suspension - a newer version released in early 2021.

Last edited by jackyharuhiko; 07-07-22 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-07-22, 10:18 AM
CEBEP

it’s M6, length is 79mm or probably 80mm when it’s straight
Well, M6x80mm were too long and didn’t fit, original bolt is 78mm (wtf?). Didn’t want to use washers and ordered new ones 70mm.
Old 07-07-22, 05:57 PM
CEBEP

Found this test comparing SON, SP and Shimano dyno hubs. Does it correspond to SP hub model used in R&M Birdy 3?

SP hub seems to be least efficient with highest drag.
Old 07-07-22, 07:04 PM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by glye
I kept the front light, because if was difficult to find something better that isn't put at risk when folding the bike. I added an on/off switch to the dynamo wire. It's a 12-volt rated water resistant toggle switch, mounted to a small plate of aluminium bolted to the light mount. When it's off, both lights are off and the front wheel spins much longer, so it seems to do what it should.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gunnst...7700342795322/

I replaced the tiny caliper mounted taillight with a bigger standard carrier mounted light with a reflector. Point shaped light sources give little indication of distance. Bigger (not necessarily brighter) lights makes it easier to judge changing distance for someone who approaches from behind. I had to extend the cable and lead it up to the carrier, making sure nothing is damaged when folding. Not a great photo, but you can see it under the carrier, behind the roller wheel:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gunnst...7700342795322/
I just checked B&M IQ-XS model which is 70lux (or 80lux acc to b&m site) like supernova E3 Pure and has almost identical dimensions, 50 x 40 mm vs 49 x 41 mm on Supernova E3 Pure 3. Difference is IQ-XS has a built in switch and light sensor which automatically switches it on/off, two side light strips for side visibility, aluminum casing. Also back light connection, so B&M rear light can be installed on the rack. Dis you consider this option before? I’m pretty sure IQ-XS will also have excellent optics and wide beam. Not sure how reliable it is though as there were few reviews on the Amazon saying it died after less than a year.

Last edited by CEBEP; 07-07-22 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-08-22, 12:18 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I just checked B&M IQ-XS model which is 70lux (or 80lux acc to b&m site) like supernova E3 Pure and has almost identical dimensions, 50 x 40 mm vs 49 x 41 mm on Supernova E3 Pure 3. Difference is IQ-XS has a built in switch and light sensor which automatically switches it on/off, two side light strips for side visibility, aluminum casing. Also back light connection, so B&M rear light can be installed on the rack. Dis you consider this option before? I’m pretty sure IQ-XS will also have excellent optics and wide beam. Not sure how reliable it is though as there were few reviews on the Amazon saying it died after less than a year.
Yes, I noticed that one. I will consider it if/when the supernova fails. The supernova also works fine with the B&M tail light I'm using. And since I built my own on/off switch I have no need to replace it yet.
Old 07-08-22, 12:21 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This looks interesting!
What would be the effort to switch? I assume the cable is fixed to the lamp, not attached via a plug, right?
Old 07-08-22, 12:35 AM
glye

This looks interesting!
What would be the effort to switch? I assume the cable is fixed to the lamp, not attached via a plug, right?
Yes, for both lights. So if you want to do it, it looks like you would replace both the light and the whole cable from the light to the dynamo. Then connect the tail light cable to the cable stump which has flat blade connectors.

Likes For glye:
Old 07-08-22, 12:39 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Found _this_test [URL removed so I may quote ...] comparing SON, SP and Shimano dyno hubs. Does it correspond to SP hub model used in R&M Birdy 3?

SP hub seems to be least efficient with highest drag.
Good find!
On the R&M site it only says "Hub dynamo Shutter Precision" so no idea but I would not expect ours to be better.
The way I read the graph in the cylclingabout article under "Results: Dynamo Hub Drag and Output Power Using Different Lights" ist that until 20 km/h is reached the SP has the least drag. That would be fine by me.
I am surprised by the total amount of drag though: Nearly 9 Watts (and half of that even with the light off) at 25 km/h is quite a lot. My average performance over an hour is about 250 Watts so that's 3,6 %. Cyclists have gone to great lengths to pursue smaller gains in efficiency.
Between this, the weight of my luggage and the excess weight on my hips atm I wonder how fast I could be without all that ...
Old 07-08-22, 12:42 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, for both lights. So if you want to do it, it looks like you would replace both the light and the whole cable from the light to the dynamo. Then connect the tail light cable to the cable stump which has flat blade connectors.
Ok, that puts it very much in the luxury category then: Expensive _and_ labor intensive.
I will handle it like you: If the Supernova light ever breaks I will replace it with this.
Old 07-08-22, 01:35 AM
glye

Good find!
On the R&M site it only says "Hub dynamo Shutter Precision" so no idea but I would not expect ours to be better.
The way I read the graph in the cylclingabout article under "Results: Dynamo Hub Drag and Output Power Using Different Lights" ist that until 20 km/h is reached the SP has the least drag. That would be fine by me.
I am surprised by the total amount of drag though: Nearly 9 Watts (and half of that even with the light off) at 25 km/h is quite a lot. My average performance over an hour is about 250 Watts so that's 3,6 %. Cyclists have gone to great lengths to pursue smaller gains in efficiency.
Between this, the weight of my luggage and the excess weight on my hips atm I wonder how fast I could be without all that ...
Yes, interesting! I would expect ours to be different because this seems to be a big wheel test and SP offers different dynamos for small wheels, optimised for higher rotation speeds. So different, but not necessarily better. Anyway, for the Birdy it is a moot point since the SP is afaik the only disk brake dynamo hub that will fit the Birdy, because of the custom disk spacing it uses.

However I have another small wheel bike, and there the SON is an interesting option, because of the very low drag with lights off (which is most of the time). Their folding specific hub won't fit as it is 74 mm and has no space for disks, but they claim the SONdelux is "for road bikes and smaller rims" so it's optimised for high rotation speeds.

I would also like to see a test of the Shimano 1.5W hubs. They are small, lightweight and deliver half the power, but with higher rotation speeds of small wheels it might be enough. They would be a bad option for USB charging, though.
Old 07-08-22, 01:41 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyway, for the Birdy it is a moot point since the SP is afaik the only disk brake dynamo hub that will fit the Birdy, because of the custom disk spacing it uses.
AFIR there _used_ to be a SON hub for Birdy, it's just discontinued.
A duckduckgo search for "birdy son dynamo" brings me to a uk dealer called "sjscycles" [still not allowed to post URLs ...] who appears to have a SON hub for Birdy in stock.
But again the price (>200 gbp) puts it in the luxury category. At least it's polished silver and I like my Birdy to be all-black, so I desire it a bit less ;-)
Old 07-08-22, 01:42 AM
glye

For zero drag with lights off there is the Velogical rim dynamo which I have on another bike: https://www.velogical-engineering.co...ation/?lang=en
It runs on the rim, not the tyre as the old style bottle dynamos do, so there is no tyre wear. It is also extremely small and light weight. It is an easy retrofit since there is no need to rebuild the wheel. The only downsides are the cost (still less than SON) and some running noise (where hub dynamos are completely silent).
Old 07-08-22, 01:47 AM
glye

AFIR there _used_ to be a SON hub for Birdy, it's just discontinued.
A duckduckgo search for "birdy son dynamo" brings me to a uk dealer called "sjscycles" [still not allowed to post URLs ...] who appears to have a SON hub for Birdy in stock.
But again the price (>200 gbp) puts it in the luxury category. At least it's polished silver and I like my Birdy to be all-black, so I desire it a bit less ;-)
Looks like this one: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/...-hole/?geoc=NO

Costs about the same as the standard SONdelux which they recommend for small wheel bikes. If the goal is minimum resistance then SONdelux is probably the better option I think. The Birdy specific one will likely give better light at low speeds. (Edit: NB the sondelux won't fit the birdy, so for that there is only the linked one or the standard SP.)
Old 07-08-22, 01:50 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For zero drag with lights off there is the Velogical rim dynamo which I have on another bike: [URL removed]
It runs on the rim, not the tyre as the old style bottle dynamos do, so there is no tyre wear. It is also extremely small and light weight. It is an easy retrofit since there is no need to rebuild the wheel. The only downsides are the cost (still less than SON) and some running noise (where hub dynamos are completely silent).
Ah, this almost feels like a chat by now with these fast responses :-)
I like this alternative even better since there is no drag when not in use.
I could probably live with a little noise while in use. That does not disturb me too much on my ebikes either.
And regarding the cost: It's still cheaper if you add (re-)building a Birdy wheel, no?
Old 07-08-22, 02:24 AM
glye

Ah, this almost feels like a chat by now with these fast responses :-)
I like this alternative even better since there is no drag when not in use.
I could probably live with a little noise while in use. That does not disturb me too much on my ebikes either.
And regarding the cost: It's still cheaper if you add (re-)building a Birdy wheel, no?
At high speed the sound is somewhat like an ebike. Silence is better of course, but it doesn't bother me. True, you save the cost of rebuilding a wheel. It is also a good option if you like to swap between different wheelsets, which I do on that bike. Just beware of the mounting. The Birdy has square tubing on the front swingarm, and the Velogical is delivered with U-rods to go around fork legs. But I'm sure it will work, as long as you get the right size U-rod.

Possible hack: It would be nice to be able to engage it when riding at daytime, when I suddenly get to a tunnel. It is likely possible to make a remote using a spring, shifter wire, and a friction shifter on the handlebars. Whether the sudden acceleration would be bad for the electronics I do not know. Mainly useful for tunnel countries like Norway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.