Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When did vertical drop-outs come into wide-spread use?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-31-12, 09:19 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

What year did vertical drop-outs come into wide-spred use?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-31-12, 09:43 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
The '73 RRA I have is the first I've seen them, but they may have been used earlier than this?

I had read that they were available around '68 or so.
Old 12-31-12, 10:03 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,915 Times in 1,488 Posts
I believe most MTB builder switched to them in the very late '80s and most road bikes did likewise in the very early '90s

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-31-12, 10:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen them on bikes as old as the 40's but I wouldn't say they were in widespread use before the 80's.
Old 12-31-12, 04:42 PM
jrecoi

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of bike. If I'm not mistaken, touring bikes had them before road racing bikes and mountain bikes. The rise of vertical dropouts, or the persistence of horizontal dropouts is a mix between the prevalence of derailers, and the need to be able to limp back home on a jury rigged ghetto singlespeed.

Touring bikes were pretty much the first to have derailers, reliable rock crushers like the Cyclo Standard since the early 30s. For them vertical dropouts came early, including odd hybrids with horizontal dropouts like the Osgear, which had a separate vertical dropout placed in front of the horizontal dropout. Horizontal dropouts were used in lower end tourers, although the typical setup was to have the wheel slammed all the way back.

Mountain bikes retained horizontal dropouts for quite a while despite having used derailers since the beginning due to the tendency of derailers to catch branches and break or bend derailer hangers, forcing the mountain biker to cut chain and limp on a ghetto singlespeed back home. The switch to vertical dropouts in this case came about from the advent of replaceable derailer hangers.

Road racing bikes persisted in having horizontal dropouts at least until the combination of reliable neutral support and shorter races/race stages eliminated the need for the racer to singlespeed his bike in a manner much like the mountain biker. In addition, the racer, much interested in the speedy performance of his derailers needed a much finer control over the positioning of the cog set vs the tourer. Fads, such as steep frame angles and ultra-short-tire-rubbing-the-seattube chainstays also had a hand in extending the use of horizontal dropouts.
Old 12-31-12, 04:59 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
They were around in the 70s, but not seen a lot. Supposedly they required a lot more precision from the frame builder than the horizontal ones.
Old 12-31-12, 05:02 PM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I think an additional factor was thr rise in the number of aftermarket quick releases for wheels. These started popping up in the late eighties. The point was to shave a couple of grams from the bike. Unfortunately, these products didn't grip very well. The rear axle tended to slip forward on the drive side when in low gears and high load. Rather than spec a QR that worked, the manufacturers solved the problem with vertical dropouts.
Old 12-31-12, 05:06 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 2,594 Posts
Lots of interesting speculation on this 10-year-old rec.bicycles.tech thread, including contributions from Sheldon Brown, Jobst Brandt, and Andy Muzi:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ch/4Kw1mfZIEiY
Old 12-31-12, 05:37 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
My best guess would be 1990's. Most of the bikes I have are older than that and they mostly have horizontal drop outs. That being said, I have a 1989 MTB that has the horizontal, but they are plugged so the axle is fixed in place.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-01-13, 10:48 AM
john hawrylak

Bikes: 1975 Schwinn Voyageur II (Made by Panasonic), 1988 Schwinn Voyaguer (touring)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember an article on Sheldon Brown's site stating the vertical DOs were required to obtain the accuracy needed for indexed shifting.
Old 01-01-13, 11:11 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john hawrylak
I remember an article on Sheldon Brown's site stating the vertical DOs were required to obtain the accuracy needed for indexed shifting.
Hmmmm
Makes sense I guess
Old 01-01-13, 11:12 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,915 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by john hawrylak
I think I recall seeing something like that, maybe even here on the forums at one time.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-01-13, 11:14 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
My understanding:

-Slotted dropouts provided some wheel adjustment which helped with setting up the rear derailleur in the days before most deraillers had a "B-screw" (the one on the knucle by the derailleur hanger). Campaganolo was a late adapter of the B-screw, and a prolific maker of dropouts which everyone else copied without much thought as to function. It also mildly adjusts the wheel base, which some (incorrectly) feel it made a diiference. Slotted DO's also are a bit more forgiving to the frame builder as they can be off a hair without fouling up the bike alignment.

-Vertical drops seems to appear in the 70's, and started more mide spread use in the 80's. Although requiring more craftmanship than slotted, they allowed for the easier removal of wheels on bikes with fenders, and generally are stronger. I belive that this is actually what encouraged the change, as very rarely have I seen a vertical dropout break.

I do not agree with the "required for indexed shifting" statement above as early Suntour versions required some movement for and aft of the rear axle to get Accushift to fully work correctly. They were kind enough to go bankrupt, so now it does not matter since Campagnolo was able to figure out how to make SIS work decently about the same time.

I do suspect that the actual casting of vertical drops is easier than horizonal ones. Because manuafturing precision and accuracy have progressed, it is an easier change to make, and thus desireable. I will also note that big-box bikes still largely come with slotted drops, which are stamped, not cast.
Old 01-01-13, 12:46 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
What year did vertical drop-outs come into wide-spred use?
Depends on what you mean by "wide spread use"...

I'd say late '80's, early '90's. Mountain bikes first, then road bikes switched over. Indexed shifting did drive manufacturers to tighter tolerances in manufacturing, which (in turn) made it easier to implement vertical drops.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-01-13, 01:01 PM
lee kenney

Bikes: ritcheys{2** rm blizzard Geo elrick drop frame and acollection of parts bikes in waiting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB , Trailmaster had a nice fabricated VD {1980 ** , Joe Breeze had a nice VD casting , Ritchey also
Old 01-01-13, 01:58 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Campagnolo No. 15 catalog shows vertical dropouts in 1967.
https://www.campyonly.com/history/cat...catalog_15.pdf (page 31)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-01-13, 02:14 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I firmly believe that the widespread adoption of vertical dropouts was driven by the need to ensure optimum performance of indexed shifting sysyems. Horizontal dropouts allow ignorant owners to inadvertently change the chain gap, which is critical to indexed shifting. Vertical dropouts are a step in mistakeproofing indexed shifting for owners and mechanics.
Old 01-01-13, 02:55 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I specified a sport tourer in early 1981 from a small English builder when I first moved there. It wasn't much of a discussion point - loaded or unloaded, the perception I got from the shop owner was that verticals are just better and have no unarguable drawbacks, even if I wasn't set on touring. Since my plan was to do more cycletouring (tent and the works, but light) and since I had found removal of a rear wheel from a loaded bike can be challenging without deflating the tire, I went with the recommendation. Never regretted it, however conservative I am.

Andrew Muzi in the above-referenced Google Group said "Bob Jackson, Jack Taylor and other small builders were offering them on touring machines in the sixties." It's clear that individuals who had small- to medium-sized frame businesses had made the switch two decades before it became somewhat more common. (as an aside, the other points from that discussion that surprised me were that: a. the chainstay bridge was devised merely to stop wheels from jamming and not for structural rigidity and b. the forward load on the rear axle can surpass normal downward loads).

When the question is put this way "when did the big corporations change over to verticals", the answers only illustrate the point that large businesses tended to be very conservative w.r.t. design until the mountain bike movement shook the design paradigms to the core. Building bicycles was a narrow - margin business. Don't forget that many larger marques were simply disappearing, only the names being sold.

Ask the question "why was Trek still building their 1980s frames with horizontals?" of the original Trek guys and you'll probably get a number of different answers, some of which may come close. I can't imagine that the decision was to decrease a few rejections at QC. I think it was simply blind tradition - not wishing to get a critical style detail wrong and sink the company.
Old 01-01-13, 02:57 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jrecoi
Mountain bikes retained horizontal dropouts for quite a while despite having used derailers since the beginning due to the tendency of derailers to catch branches and break or bend derailer hangers, forcing the mountain biker to cut chain and limp on a ghetto singlespeed back home. The switch to vertical dropouts in this case came about from the advent of replaceable derailer hangers.
uh, i have 3 mtbs, all from the 80s, and all have vertical drop outs without replaceable derailleur hangers. the earliest one was manufactured in 1985
Old 01-01-13, 05:57 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
I have seen a number of mid-level Centurions from '82-84 that had vertical drops...just to confuse the data.
Old 01-01-13, 06:01 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
I have seen a number of mid-level Centurions from '82-84 that had vertical drops...just to confuse the data.
My '83 Centurion Pro Tour (their top-line touring bike) has Suntour vertical dropouts as well.
Old 01-02-13, 07:20 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Go figure, but I have a seemingly low end Vista Elite from the early 80's, but it was spec'd with Shimano 600 Arabesque, and made from Araya "631" tubing. Yes it has turquoise/greenish lettering on the 631, on a black label. The paint scheme is a ripoff of a mid seventies Motobecane. black with red head tube, and two red seat tube bands. Even the head badge looks oddly Moto-esque? The weirdest part? It has vertical dropouts? Strange bike!

I have seen verticals on a few Nishiki models, too. Early eighties..?

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-02-13 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-02-13, 10:28 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 181 Posts
Vertical drops go back to the 1930's as noted above. Here are two examples of the Osgear type:

Old 01-02-13, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Index shifting made them, a requirement for most people.. axle always in same spot .
Old 01-02-13, 11:31 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 181 Posts
looking at those Osgear drops, I'm wondering why bike evolution moved away from the long guide rail in front of the drop and instead moved the guide to the rear.

like so:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.