Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Hoverboards - Future Mobility Device for the Carfree?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Hoverboards - Future Mobility Device for the Carfree?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 07:09 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
The price of Segways was a barrier to people trying them. With tens of thousands of Hover Boards on the streets as toys, you can bet that numerous adults have tried these and had fun with them. If Segway wants to capitalize on this phenomena then they had better start doing a better job of advertising.

When Segways cost $1500-$2000 watch out. They'll be everywhere.
Good post!

I didn't know it was Kasman industries who started this phenomena. Regardless, they didn't have to spend any marketing on this device because it sold itself to millions of people. That was the genius of the Hoverboard in that the company through word of mouth alone was able to create an industry out of nothing.

The Segway did not succeed because of the price as you said. There is no way they can make the Segway affordable for they cost around 6-8K and going up! The Hoverboard can only get better with larger wheels, more battery life and faster speeds.

The carfree forum members can't see the future because very few will be able to use them even when the technology improves. However, it's the younger generation who are buying them just might create a new form of transport for the carfree.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 12-29-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 07:13 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
We saw someone on the golf course using a variety of "hoverboard" with a longer platform and larger wheels than the type that is currently a hot toy. He was on an adjoining hole, so we didn't get to see the machine very well, but we were quite impressed with the way it was handling the ground. Seemed to be providing a very smooth ride at faster than walking pace. And he was carrying his bag on his shoulders, so balance didn't seem a great issue. I don't know if this was a commercial unit or if it was home (or 'lab') built as we play on the university golf course which is across the street from the college of engineering. But it did indicate to me that there is potential for such devices well beyond the capacity of today's toy.
+1000000000

Let's hope this is the start of a new electric form of transport that is both affordable and portable.
Old 12-30-15, 10:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
The problem is just what is an E-bike and how would anyone know if they should be on a bike path anyway. Look at the specks on this one. Not much more than a CF race bike but should they be on the same trail as bicycles?

About Ace Electric Motorbikes

My LBS has a contact with these and they are tempting for local street use.

the base price is $3729.00
You're saying e-bikes should not be allowed, but I'm not clear on your reasons for wanting to ban them from the trails. Could you please elaborate? I'm not clear on what harm they're causing.

Do you think hoverboards should also be banned from MUPs?

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 12-30-15 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The Segway did not succeed because of the price as you said.
The segway was a laughing stock.
Old 12-30-15, 11:37 AM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dumbest crap ever. i walk faster and don't fall when i walk. Toys for sure, and toys that won;t last long. even the name is dumb.
Old 12-30-15, 11:54 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Here is one reason it fails as a mobility device... Mike Tyson takes brutal spill off hoverboard
Old 12-30-15, 12:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

The price of Segways was a barrier to people trying them. With tens of thousands of Hover Boards on the streets as toys, you can bet that numerous adults have tried these and had fun with them. If Segway wants to capitalize on this phenomena then they had better start doing a better job of advertising.

Segways can be a car replacement just as a bicycle can be a car replacement. The difference is that Segway riders don't need to break a sweat or even breathe heavily to roll up to twenty-four miles on a charge at 12.5 miles per hour. I believe and would bet money that more people would be willing to use Segways than bicycles if the costs were comparable (not counting electricity). When Segways cost $1500-$2000 watch out. They'll be everywhere.
The reason why Segways aren't popular isn't because of the cost, but because they aren't practical for daily transportation use... Segways are just toys, they are only suitable for goofing around in amusement parks and not for commuting in traffic, running errands and bringing groceries home.
Old 12-30-15, 12:27 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Here is one reason it fails as a mobility device... Mike Tyson takes brutal spill off hoverboard
Came here to post this.

Old 12-30-15, 12:34 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The reason why Segways aren't popular isn't because of the cost, but because they aren't practical for daily transportation use... Segways are just toys, they are only suitable for goofing around in amusement parks and not for commuting in traffic, running errands and bringing groceries home.
Police officers use Segways a lot to patrol, so they're not "just" toys. Other than the price, they would be a great transportation choice for a few carfree people who want something faster than walking, but don't want a bike for whatever reason..

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-30-15, 01:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
At least car free people don't have the problem of having to strain themselves awkwardly lifting the grossly overweight, overpriced Segway into the trunk of a car to take it somewhere suitable to ride. Of course getting it in off of the street and up the stoop or a few flights of stairs could be a problem.
Old 12-30-15, 01:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Personally I don't think of "car free" as replacing one form of powered transportation with another.

Do motorcycles count?
Old 12-30-15, 01:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Personally I don't think of "car free" as replacing one form of powered transportation with another.

Do motorcycles count?
Anything counts, at least when BF posters are free to make up their personal definitions to fit their own needs; even having powered transportation (mobility device) always available when the significant other, or other household member isn't using it
Old 12-30-15, 05:00 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I totally disagree with the opinion that they can't be used for shopping or commuting to work. It just depends on distance and how much you want to carry. If you're going to go that route then the same applies for bicycles.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
At least car free people don't have the problem of having to strain themselves awkwardly lifting the grossly overweight, overpriced Segway into the trunk of a car to take it somewhere suitable to ride. Of course getting it in off of the street and up the stoop or a few flights of stairs could be a problem.
Segways have a stair climbing mode. A person can't ride them up stairs but they can be guided up the stairs using power. Ramps also make it easy to put them into SUVs. Otherwise they are too heavy for transporting in regular cars.
Old 12-30-15, 06:18 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

I totally disagree with the opinion that they can't be used for shopping or commuting to work. It just depends on distance and how much you want to carry. If you're going to go that route then the same applies for bicycles.

Segways have a stair climbing mode. A person can't ride them up stairs but they can be guided up the stairs using power. Ramps also make it easy to put them into SUVs. Otherwise they are too heavy for transporting in regular cars.
Lots of things can be used beyond their intended purpose... A fun toy does not necessarily make a good personal transportation device... JMO
Old 12-30-15, 06:25 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
You're saying e-bikes should not be allowed, but I'm not clear on your reasons for wanting to ban them from the trails. Could you please elaborate? I'm not clear on what harm they're causing.

Do you think hoverboards should also be banned from MUPs?
The E-bikes with 500 watt motors, and electric motors are called just that, can easily run 20 to 24 mph with little more than a twist of a grip. They get to 20 a lot faster than a gas powered moped because all of the torque is down on the bottom. So in fact they are faster than a gas powered bike but for a shorter distance. The one I posted can be had with a 900 watt motor and should be able to rooster dirt in the face of people following one. To me it is the same reason bikes and skateboards aren't allowed in malls. Slower moving pedestrians are in danger of being mowed down. But if we allow E-bikes on trails posted for non motorized vehicles what precludes other mopeds? And no I do not for a minute believe people will be responsible users.
Old 12-30-15, 06:41 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Lots of things can be used beyond their intended purpose... A fun toy does not necessarily make a good personal transportation device... JMO
Segways are not just sold as toys. That is only one reason they exist. Their original intended purpose was to get rid of so many cars on the roads. They were specifically created as personal mobility devices to take people to work. I watched the debut of them on Good Morning America when the code name Ginger was removed and the name Segway was revealed.
Old 12-30-15, 06:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Segways are not just sold as toys.
Segways are hardly sold anywhere, for any purpose. Give it up, the public did almost a decade ago.
Old 12-30-15, 06:58 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
The only practical purpose of these Segways-without-the-stick is this: Mike Tyson left down for the count by hoverboard fail ? video | Sport | The Guardian
Old 12-30-15, 07:55 PM
350htrr

Segways are not just sold as toys. That is only one reason they exist. Their original intended purpose was to get rid of so many cars on the roads. They were specifically created as personal mobility devices to take people to work. I watched the debut of them on Good Morning America when the code name Ginger was removed and the name Segway was revealed.
Oopps, I thought you were talking about the hoverboards in your first paragraph... As for the Segway's I can see how they could actually be useful,... Postman, meter readers, police,...
Old 12-30-15, 11:23 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I watched the debut of them on Good Morning America when the code name Ginger was removed and the name Segway was revealed.
That's when their popularity started to decline. If it had lived up to the hype (". . . . it could be bigger than the PC. Kamen says it “will be to the car what the car was to the horse and buggy.”"), we'd all have a couple in the garage right now.

They seem like a mildly amusing toy, but I can buy a bike for $50 on Craigslist that is faster and has better range.
Old 12-31-15, 01:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by loky1179
That's when their popularity started to decline. If it had lived up to the hype (". . . . it could be bigger than the PC. Kamen says it “will be to the car what the car was to the horse and buggy.”"), we'd all have a couple in the garage right now.

They seem like a mildly amusing toy, but I can buy a bike for $50 on Craigslist that is faster and has better range.
The failure of Segway to live up to its hype and never amount to anything but a niche product was documented almost immediately after that infamous introduction on the Good Morning America show. Segway's Breakdown | WIRED

Segways, though a giant FAIL, are good for laffs, as long as the rider doesn't mind being the target of the derision:
Old 12-31-15, 06:06 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me personally any motorized form of transport will be poor way of adhering to my core values of maintaining my physical fitness and preserving the environment.
Old 12-31-15, 06:43 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
For me personally any motorized form of transport will be poor way of adhering to my core values of maintaining my physical fitness and preserving the environment.
I agree, but what if a non-motorized form of transport isn't feasible? Do you ever have to travel long distances? What if you had to travel from Decatur to New York, for example?
Old 12-31-15, 06:54 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I agree, but what if a non-motorized form of transport isn't feasible? Do you ever have to travel long distances? What if you had to travel from Decatur to New York, for example?
I'm really talking about mainstream lifestyle choices. If practical, I take the non-motorized option. And part of making a distance practical is a side effect of regularly embracing challenging options. But yes of course I take the motorized option if necessary. Year before last I took an airline to Salt Lake City on business for example.
Old 12-31-15, 07:52 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I'm really talking about mainstream lifestyle choices. If practical, I take the non-motorized option. And part of making a distance practical is a side effect of regularly embracing challenging options. But yes of course I take the motorized option if necessary. Year before last I took an airline to Salt Lake City on business for example.
I can see that you and I have a lot in common. My wife and I avoid motorized travel as much as possible, but there are times when it can't be avoided. We've just returned from a trip to Barcelona. We weren't going to cycle there, of course (it's over 1,000 miles there and back), so we opted for the AVE. Lovely to have such an option when non-motorized travel is out of the question.

High-speed rail travel from Seville to Barcelona on Spain's AVE trains | Travel | The Guardian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.