Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mini V-Brake Levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mini V-Brake Levers

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 05:00 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Mini V-Brake Levers

Has anyone used standard V-brake levers with mini-V's? TRP has a 90 mm mini-V that is close to standard size. Just wondering if you could use a standard lever or not.
Old 06-22-20, 06:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,756 Posts
By "standard V- brake lever" do you mean flat bar/mtb type levers? If so, I'd guess there would be little use for mini Vs with those. AFAIK, mini Vs only exist so that folks can use road levers. They have some compromises compared to regular V brakes, no reason to use them unless you have to.
Old 06-22-20, 07:01 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Way back in the day, when V brakes came out, some of us took V brake levers and set them up with Canti's. The logic was that using a lever that pulled more cable would always be an advantage.

The years have gotten fuzzy but I remember that it never really worked out that well. I think you end up losing something, possibly leverage or possibly modulation. I know we handled it with the grip strength of a 16 year old but it wasn't ideal.

Your Mini V are designed for the same cable pull as a canti set up. So using the V brake levers will probably have the same problems. I think it'll be ridable, I just doubt you'll ever love your brakes.
Old 06-22-20, 12:24 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Way back in the day, when V brakes came out, some of us took V brake levers and set them up with Canti's. The logic was that using a lever that pulled more cable would always be an advantage.

The years have gotten fuzzy but I remember that it never really worked out that well. I think you end up losing something, possibly leverage or possibly modulation. I know we handled it with the grip strength of a 16 year old but it wasn't ideal.

Your Mini V are designed for the same cable pull as a canti set up. So using the V brake levers will probably have the same problems. I think it'll be ridable, I just doubt you'll ever love your brakes.
Thanks, I wasn't too sure.
Old 06-22-20, 12:34 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Yeah, Mini-V is canti pull, and needs canti levers.

Canti brakes with V levers = super firm lever feel, but no leverage to the point of being dangerous.

V-brakes with canti levers = super soft lever and tons of leverage, but the pads need to be extremely close to the rim.